Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Kielder forest
  • stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Hey. Got 4 days in the october week staying at the calvert trust at kielder forest. I see there is man made trails all over, anyone reccomend what is good to ride?

Will be with a mate, both reasonably competent and like riding steep techy stuff like golfie and laggan brown.

Also are most of the trails close enough to he calvert trust to ride or is it a drive and park?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Had a few days there earlier this year and found the marked trails not very technical ,

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

That was my fear hence looking for other trails. Mind u its Englandshire so no right to roam…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jekkyl

My mate fancies going here in the spring I’m voting lakes instead. Is there mountains or reasonably sized hills near Keilder?

hodgynd
    Free Member

😆
    Not very technical ?..
    Well maybe the Lakeside Way could be described that way..and the Blue Osprey Trail flows well without too much in the way of technicality..but..
    The Deadwater trail is as technical a red trail as any other ..as is Lonesome Pine
    Call into The Bike Place at the Trail Head and talk to Ian or Kevin ..they will put you right ..
    It’s not like Golfie ..standard red trail centre fare which you could ride to from where you are staying as the Lakeside Way is just opposite .
    There are no mountains you are in the middle of one of Europe’s largest man made forests Deadwater is the highest hill at 560m..
    The Lakes are your best bet if it’s mountains you are after ..

hot_fiat

Stayed at the Calvert trust site in September. It’s really good.

Best bet is to drive up to see Ian as hodgyn suggests. Trail heads are all up there.

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago with more advice.

jonba
    Free Member

The waymarked stuff, red and black. Is comparable to other trail centres. It is xc though so not like golfie as I understand it.

Worth a shot if you are there. If you are fit enough then combine lonesome pine with the cross border route for a good day out that takes you overtime Newcastle ton.

hodgynd
    Free Member

A better bet is to do all three routes at Kielder ..start off along the Lakeside Way to the start of The Lonesome Pine at Lewisburn ( just before the suspension bridge ) ..after Stairway to Heaven where the boardwalk splits turn right and follow back to the trailhead ..then tackle Deadwater ..followed by The Osprey Trail ..
    Much more fun !

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Keen to do as much as we can so help appreciated.

eddie11
    Free Member

There’s red and black graded trail centre stuff. It’s not steep and techy off piste. The Calvert trust do great school diner food. I had double pudding last time

johnas7
    Free Member

when we tend to go to kielder, we would do the deadwater trail first, finish that then bike along the lake and start the lonesome pine route. We would go left at the top of the boardwalks and do the bloody bush trail.
    Once you get back onto the fireroad and bike down for a bit, you turn left and means doing the climb again. But instead of turning onto the zig zag bit which takes you back onto the board walks we go straight ahead and on your right is the lonesome pine route. Good few hours to do all that.

hodgynd
    Free Member

So you don’t touch the blue at all?
    You really are missing out ..its much better than turning left at the boardwalk ..the best section of flow trail in the forest ..all it lacks in terms of being a red is a few technical features ..

johnas7
    Free Member

your actually right, i totally forgot about the blue, the bloody bush side isnt that good, think it would be best to do deadwater, the lonesome pine, then onto the blue. didnt think of that. so yeh next time im going to suggest do that way instead of bloody bush.

slowoldman

I would vote for the blue too, some quite long draggy ride roads but a couple of really nice whizzy forest bits. My view of Lonesome Pine is coloured by having fallen off the end of the boardwalk having not seen it coming!

slowoldman

Erm…. that should read FIRE roads of course.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Kielder forest’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts