Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kielder
  • hot_fiat

I went up to Kielder yesterday as it looked like the only place in the North East that would have sun. Set off at about 2 from the car park and rode deadwater. Didn’t see a soul apart from the 4 lost looking Polish riders staring in bewilderment at the old fire road up to the beacon.

So my question is this: where was everyone, weather was glorious, little to no wind, no midges, dusty dry trails in great condition, What’s going on? Everyone watching Le Tour, the golfists mincing around Scotland or The Ashes? I like empty trails, but to find myself totally alone in a great trail centre at the end of one of the best weather weeks for years was a little bewildering.

Drac

It’s Northumberland 4 other riders =bedlam

boxelder

They were walking up scafell pike in procession, having kept me awake with shuttling mini-buses.
    Bl00dy three peakers.

martinhutch

Perhaps everyone else was looking for the places that would have shade?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Keilder, most riders I ever saw there was on a night ride just before I emigrated. There must have been twenty riders and every single one was part of our group.

Had all day epics and never seen another rider. Saying that the trials are not the greatest and therefore not likely to attract people from a long way off. Midges could drain you dry in minutes on a bad day.
    Still beats the busy times here in Melbourne on the bi directional trails. Stopping and starting every hundred meters if you pick the wrong day or time.

Northwind

Out of curiosity are the deadwater trails all reopened? Someone was saying the other day that quite a lot of the blacks are still shut but I had a feeling he’d just missed the signs…

Drac

Perhaps everyone else was looking for the places that would have shade?

Cheviots, our sun has gone now but least I got Friday in before it did. 😕

I_did_dab
    Free Member

After two horrible winterssummers everyone will be out on lovely nature made trails enjoying the dry dustiness and the taste of sheep poo on the breeze.
    Personally, I was out overshooting hairpin bends on my road bike in County Durham 😯 45 mph and cheap tires, not a good combination…

hot_fiat

Most of Deadwater is open, Kersey Cleugh to 3 dog climb is shut as the FC have been working that area. Up & over looked open, but the dog’s paws had started to blister by that point so back to the car we went. Poor little mite, wish she’d learn to not throw her booties.

Drac: where did you head to on Friday?

Drac
    johnas7
    Free Member

i was up there last weekend, lush weather, we did the lonesome pine route and didnt see a single person on the trails. Was quite a few people riding around the lake. We camped at the kielder campsite, midiges were really bad tho.

Northwind

Cheers hot_fiat

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kielder’ is closed to new replies.