• This topic has 73 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Murr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Kielder 101 – Who's in??
  • windydave13
    Free Member

So who’s signed up, what you riding and what time you aiming for?

Hoping my new greener than green Cube AMS 120 does me proud in about 9-10hrs. Also, if I don’t end up with a numb “Gentleman’s Sausage” this time I’ll be happy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/xbPpQ7]Green and clean #kielder101[/url] by Dave Aspinall, on Flickr

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve put myself forward for it 😕 No idea of what time I’ll manage. Will be riding a green Cotic Solaris.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’m in – black Niner – no idea about time but 7 hrs seems reasonable.

youngrob

I’m in, riding a Cube cx bike. Not sure about a time but hoping for 7-8hrs

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I was supposed to be in but a shoulder injury ruined that plan. Instead I will be marshaling so I shall wave you on from the side lines, enjoy.

legolam
    Free Member

I’m in, on a Canyon Nerve full suss 26er. Optimistically aiming for less than 8 hours (if I actually finish!)

jonny-m
    Free Member

I’m doing it. Havingjust returned from a 2 week holiday I’m not in the best of shape.
    Been out on the bike for first time today in nearly three weeks and it seems like I’ve lost all fitness.
    Hoping for about 7 hours….
    Will be riding my Scott Spark 920

quintet100
    Free Member

I’m in, never done it.
    Riding an S works epic 29er.
    I was hoping for 5 to 6 hours.
    I was hoping to carry all compulsory gear on the bike but it’s looking like wearing the camelback.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

^^^

I reckon I can go with 2xbottles with pump under one of the cages, snacks in a Topeak Tribag thing, tools etc in an Alpkit Fuelpod, clothing in an Alpkit Koala and gilet, arm warmers etc in jersey pockets.

Or I might keep the bike looking fast and chuck everything in a rucksac…

quintet100
    Free Member

Tricky to know what’s best.
    In the end I thought camel back with 1litre in bladder and 500ml on the bike between food stops.
    I can still reach pockets at the back with camel back on.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve only one set of bosses on the bike so a 750ml bottle on that, a litre or so in a Camelbak Lobo. Most kit will be in the Camelbak but snacks and possibly tools in an Alpkit fuel pod.

rone

Turner Czar. <6 hrs.

On the website it mentions two rider briefings at 7:30 or 10:30. Then on another 9:30.

Any ideas ?

Drac

I’m in, never done it.

To be clear it’s not the Kielder 100 miler it has no association with them, it’s a 101Km race in the same area.

myopic
    Free Member

I’m in. Had been planning to ride my new Rooster, but s series of cruel conspiracies from work, kids, social and domestic issues mean its not ready 🙁
    So will be there, but on something else. No idea of likley time as I don’t know the local trails and what the climbs are like

windydave13
    Free Member

Can’t remember where i found this, but this is apparently the course profile

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yaciHi]Profile[/url] by Dave Aspinall, on Flickr

rhid

I’m in.

I’ll be on a Stanton Slackline. Finishing is my goal. I have no idea what to expect as I have never been to that part of the world. I am assuming there will be hills…

thenorthwind

I’m in*. Will be one my Nukeproof Mega TR 275. Suspect it’s too much bike (not sure what to expect terrain-wise) but hoping to have some fun. Target time: finished. Ever.

* if I can get there. Could really use a lift there and back if anyone’s heading from Newcastle or nearby? (My car failed its MOT last week and is out of action. Probably terminally.) More than happy to cover petrol cost. Cheers.

whitestone
    Free Member

@thenorthwind Sorry – can’t help you as I’m heading up the M6 to get there.

thenorthwind

@thenorthwind Sorry – can’t help you as I’m heading up the M6 to get there.

Cheers anyway 🙂

FAIL
    Free Member

I’m in. Will be riding my Nerve AL 29er. I’m going to give it a proper clean and fettle this afternoon to get it ready. In terms of finishing I’ll be happy to make it round, so no idea on overall time. When I did the old Kielder 100 race the weather played a big part in how hard the day was. Fingers crossed that the weather gods are smiling on us for saturday.

EDIT – sorry northwind, another one on the M6 so i can’t give you a lift.

youngrob

I’m going for 2 bottles on the bike 1 water, 1 electrolyte + pack with food, spares, clothes etc. Fingers crossed the weather looks ok so hopefully not loads of clothes required.

windydave13
    Free Member

Forecast doesn’t look too bad at the moment. I’ve a Jamaican Ginger cake for the really low moments 😆

dazh

I’m getting mixed messages on the midge situation. Anyone want to give me the definitive answer to how bad they’re going to be?

Just taken me two hours to hunt down a whistle in the various boxes of outdoor kit that haven’t seen the light of day for years.

paul4stones

I don’t think the midges will be an issue tomorrow as there’s enough wind forecast to keep them down. Guaranteed to be a lull at about 7.30 tonight during the briefing 🙂

windydave13
    Free Member

Timings seem to have changed since the emailed briefinging : http://www.seismic-events.co.uk/riderbrief.html

jonk

We were there yesterday and the midges were out in force. it was a north westerly wind but as soon as you stopped riding they started biting!

paul4stones

Hmm. So much for “final detail by email”

whitestone
    Free Member

Just got back. The midges were out in force at the 1930 briefing last night and a bit this morning but once you got going they weren’t a problem.

Had a target time of 7hrs and finished in 6hrs47 so pleased with that. My Garmin came up well short of the advertised 3100m of ascent – about 2200m and a few others noted similar values.

I was going to stop up there and do the Newcastleton red tomorrow but I think we did most of it on the ride today so haven’t bothered 🙄

paul4stones

Was that you just in front of me then? On the Cotic? Should have whizzed past you before those steps 😉

legolam
    Free Member

Midges were out in force at the presentation this evening too! It was worth me staying though – I somehow came 3rd lady in a respectable ish time of 7hrs 8mins, and also won a spot prize of a skills course with Cyclewise. My Garmin clocked the ride at 99km and 2300m ascent, so a little short on both counts. Good atmosphere, good cake and excellent weather made it a grand day out though.

whitestone
    Free Member

@paul4stones

More than likely 8) Skipton CC kit, green Solaris.

thenorthwind

Great day. Nice variety of features and some great singletrack. Clocked 61.7mi and 8700ft height gain, old school fact fans. Got 7 hours, 18 seconds which I was pretty happy about despite the 18 seconds!

Hi Hannah, nice riding with you!

Dave

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Great day, weather was spot-on and the finish line beer was very welcome!

There seemed to be loads of photographers out and about as well so there’s a chance there’ll be a photo of me looking more normal than is usually the case in my event photos…

boxelder

Pics

Pair of riders, pg 6, Skipton kit…..
    Well done all

windydave13
    Free Member

Was an awesome day although I’ve got a sore back from carrying too much Jamaican ginger cake.

Not sure I could do a full 100mikes

whitestone
    Free Member

@boxelder – my wife asked “Why are you holding hands with that other rider?” 😆

@windydave13 I think you were parked up close to me, there was certainly a Cube like yours there.

I liked the fact that you got a handshake and a “well done” at the finish.

windydave13
    Free Member

We were in a black hilux in the lower carpark.

Pics from the 2nd photographer by the rump are awesome. Some very sketchy landings!! 😯

windydave13
    Free Member

Does anyone know how the lady who had the off just before the 1st boarder crossing is?? She looked like she’d broke her collarbone or something. Hopefully she’s ok

legolam
    Free Member

@thenorthwind – aha! I knew you were an STWer when you made that comment about T5s in the car park! I didn’t want to out myself as a sad internet geek though! Thanks for keeping me company on that long drag from Newcastleton, and sorry I abruptly dumped you at the last feed station – I had terrible cramp in my calf and I thought that if I stopped, I’d never get back on the bike!

I feel like a walking midge bite today though. Those buggers are vicious.

And I put my finishing beer in the freezer to have with my takeaway last night, then promptly fell asleep on the sofa. Freezer now covered in lovely frozen ale… 🙁

paul4stones

Whitestone – yes that was you, I was on the Ti Pactbikes Monstercross.

Legolam – well done! There were comments around me suggesting you’d be leading the skills course!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 101 – Who's in??’ is closed to new replies.