• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Kielder 100 SS
  • IanW
    Free Member

Sort of toying with the idea, what’s the best gearing for singlespeed?

Clink

Use your normal gearing. 29er I normally use 32:18 so stuck with that.

luked2
    Free Member

I used 36:21 last year (29er). It meant I could get up most, but not all, of the hills, and still go past people on 26″ geared bikes by spinning like a loon.

Right up until the point where I bonked that is 🙂

Clink

I thought of going 32:20, but glad i didn’t – I’d rather walk a few uphill bits and keep a decent speed on flatter bits.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I rode 32:20 last year on a 29er until the 65 mile mark where I fell apart; toying with a 21/22 for this year, 100 miles is a long way and there is ALOT of climbing, 12/24 hour gearing rather than 6-8 hour Sunday gearing

epicyclo

I use 32/22 for 24 hours. It feels much too low for the 1st 15 hours and much too high in the 23rd. 🙂

Still I’m not as fit as some here.

thomthumb
    Free Member

toying with a 21/22 for this year

that will be too spinny!! 😆

I’m thinking about an extra tooth on the back. (32:19)

miketually
    Free Member

2009: I did 32:17 on a 26er
    2010: I did 32:18 on a 29er

The 26er gearing was just the gearing I always use. The 29er gearing was just what came on the bike that I was loaned by Ragley/Hotlines.

I finished both times: DFL in 2009 and mid-table mediocrity (NFL) in 2010.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Thomthumb, you’re obviously fitter than me; my preparation was not the best last year, longest road ride was 60 miles and SS was 25 miles. I’m basing my gear choice on last years experience, hopefully I will be fitter this year

samuri
    Free Member

34:18 for me on a 26er.
    There’s only a few really steep climbs and IIRC they’re near the end when you’ll be so screwed you’ll be happy to push anyway. I was spinning a lot.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Thomthumb, you’re obviously fitter than me;

i seriously doubt that. i’ve had three months off due to being rear ended by a car. still struggling with whiplash.

I can’t see that a single speed ratio of 21:22 is going to get you round before the cut offs. 😉

funkynick

*sticks fingers in ears* la la la la la la… I’m not listening.. I’m not doing this on my SS… I’m not I tell you…

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

To avoid confusion, I meant 32:21 or 22 at rear. Have a look at the Endurance forum on MTBR, plenty of good advice on there from riders who’ve done multiple 100 milers

miketually
    Free Member

*sticks fingers in ears* la la la la la la… I’m not listening.. I’m not doing this on my SS… I’m not I tell you…

Real Men do it SS and rigid 😈

(Real men also have to stop halfway down some of the Kielder descents to let their hands stop cramping, so they can still hold the bars and brake.)

luked2
    Free Member

(Real men also have to stop halfway down some of the Kielder descents to let their hands stop cramping, so they can still hold the bars and brake.)

🙂

My heart sank each time I saw another of those signs for the Kielder red route. Suspension forks are on my shopping list!

martinh
    Free Member

29er with 34:21 last year and 32:19 the year before. Definitely preferred 34:21

funkynick

I’m still not listening Mike… although the Solitude is calling… I can hear it… aaaaaargh…

Are you doing it again this year?

miketually
    Free Member

Are you doing it again this year?

Of course! I’m going to try and eat food and avoid throwing up in the week before, this year. Might try to make it not just my 10th ride of the year too 🙂

funkynick

Only ten rides and you got mid pack?

There is hope for me yet! So if I keep it below five rides, does that mean I have a chance of being on the podium? ;o)

Will be good to say hello again.. :o)

ss29er
    Free Member

2009 – 29er with 32:18. Tyre blowout at halfway (just after the puddle of doom) ended the ride but it was feeling pretty hard work by then. Returned in 2010 with 32:19 and finished under 10 hours, only a couple of bits were unrideable but the whole ride was pretty steady and enjoyable. I’m not sure I’d have got up the steep climb to the boardwalk across the border on anything higher – there was a lot of shouting!

By comparison, if I was riding a solo 24, I’d have 32:20 or 21 for mud.

IanW
    Free Member

Cheers

I did last years,well the first 65mile anyway on an anthem thought I may as well push a bit less bike up the hills this year.
    Dont really understand the 29er gearing, this years plan is to use a new to me scandal 26 its got 32/15 for sunny sufflok but I dont know whether to go for 16 or 17 rear cog.

I suspect itll be be 17 considering my projected levels of unfitness and will also add a sus fork.
    Cheers for the replies.

rustler
    Free Member

Why not run two cogs at the rear & swap when you start tiring…
    I’ve always run my SS bikes, 26 & recently a 29er with two rear cogs. Ok, not strictly SS, but started because bike was a commuter. Most slidey dropouts should cover 2 teeth range on same chain length.

IanW
    Free Member

I had considered that, dont you get any problems with chainline? My half link chain is at max tightness at the mo with axle hard against the end of the dropout, another link max’s out the on one tugs.

I would have to wait for the chain to stretch(which it does daily) but will give that a go. cheers

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100 SS’ is closed to new replies.