Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Kids wooden bikes – advice needed.
  • giantonagiant

I think there was a thread on here a while ago about these, but can't find it. The wee ones, with adjustable seats and no peddles – 'balance bikes'.

Looking to get my nephew one for Christmas. Anyone got any recommendations / non recommendations please?

Thanks.

GW
    Free Member

£10 Aldi one has done well over 5 years without fault (and used almost daily by 10-15 different kids) Ebay has similar ones, or it did, have a look.

giantonagiant

Thanks GW I'll try Aldi.

I've already had a good look on ebay and amazon. What I should have said was, I've seen a few different ones, does anyone have a specific recommendation.

I've seen quite a flash one in the bike shop at Whinlatter, which looked expensive. Are the cheaper ones just as good?

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

Cheap ones may be a false economy as I know kids who have gone through a couple of them in the short time they ride them.

I splashed out on the original like-a-bike and didn't regret it. Both my boys rode it all the time until they were big enough for a 'proper bike' and it's still going strong. It got some quite tough riding (for a 3 year old anyway) as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNDb3OQSPpE
    and was up to the task.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Another vote for a real like-a-bike, had a ridgeback scoot as well, but the handlebars were to wide and my sons heels used to catch on the rear wheel nuts, had a brake which was handy. Also had an Ebay special, didn't use it myself, but sold to a friend and it fell apart pretty quickly.
    Its a shame you can't buy an adult like-a-bike

Doug

simonm
    Free Member

These look great.. .

gamo
    Free Member

Costco have a really nice one just now, was less than £30.

Crell
    Free Member

I think the one we bought was from Aldi – strong, light and cheap. (KB was clearly wrong). It was abused and stood up really well considering the hucking duties it was resigned to when the kids grew out of it (it's still in 1 piece after 5 years!) 🙂

wildrnes
    Free Member

we got a early rider it is fantastic,
    I believe 18 bikes has them in

Matt

takisawa2

We bought a cheapish (£30) one from St John Street cycles on Ebay. Has had plenty of use & still good. And plan was to pass it down to youngest, but we made the mistake of visiting Islabikes & he fell in love with the Rothan. My advice would be if your going to splash out £100 for a Like-a-bike then get a Rothan instead. Like-a-bikes are very well made though.

tandemwarriors

Have one of these for my granddaughter……
    SteadyEddie

Dead impressed. Steering is limited to a few degrees either way so a reduced risk of faceplants. Well made, lots of room for adjustment as they grow.

Earl
    Free Member

Unfortunately the Aldi/Lidl ones come through one in a blue moon. The Decathlon ones are pretty good for £30. We got a Isla Rohan a few years back for £90. Good quality bike.

If you have all the money in the world I recommend getting a likeabike Jumper. The rear suspension wedge makes a huge difference. Imagine riding a hard tail with no pedels vs a full sus with no pedels.

Some of the likeabike models have quite a high seat – much higher then the Rohan so check it out first.

Smee
    Free Member

St Johns Street cycles sell them on ebay.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Depends on your budget.

If you can afford it get a Rothan. My Daughter loves hers.

genesis
    Free Member

We do Early Riders they are fantastic, my son also has a Ridgeback Scoot very similar to the Rothan.

giantonagiant

Many thanks to all who offered advice here. All helpful stuff, I particularly enjoyed the video link and pictures!

I'm going to hang on till his birthday early next year and avoid getting an ebay special, by combining xmas and birthday in a oner!

carlphillips
    Free Member

mine have a rothan and an easy rider (won at the big bike bash :D)
    the rothan is an ace bit of kit and more suited to learning on but the easy rider is just a piece of art, looks waaaaaay cooler with the chopper style faux leather seat massively wide rear tyre and slack angles. but the turning circle isn't great. all in all i'd go for the rothan its resale value on here means it'll never be as expensive as you think.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Kids wooden bikes – advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.