Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Kids sports day.. dads race
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Its sports day today and im pretty sure theres going to be a dads race.
    Its obviously just a bit of fun but no doubt competitive dad will be there and take it seriously. Question is do i just feign injury before hand and sit around taking photos, drinking tea and eating cake.. or do i psyche up and take down competitive dad in the sprint but risk actually pulling something and looking really stupid.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

It was the Mums’ race at our local primary school that got out of hand; many of them turned up in lycra and took it rather seriously. Mate of mine got deliberately tripped in the Dads’ race and was furious.

Paul (Dads’ race winner)

peterfile
    Free Member

A friend of ours is a bit of a track star.

Her daughter started a nice school a few years ago and they have a mum’s race at schools sports day which has a reputation for being pretty competitive between a few of the mums. She decided to do the race in fancy dress, both the make the kids laugh and save any embarrassment which may be caused by her annihilating the field at her daughter’s new school. Everyone was expecting her to win, so this was a nice leveller in her eyes, to keep the competition alive and the day fun.

Apparently there was uproar from some of the other mum’s, claiming that she was making a mockery of the race! 😆 The “officials” asked that she take off the fancy dress. She raced anyway and left everyone standing, then faced further criticism from the same mum’s that her behaviour spoiled a race with “lots of history”.

Primary school sports day! People are mad.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rogerthecat
    Free Member

Too many fell runners live around here for it to be fun. It was like the starting grid to Wolf’s Pit Fell Race for mum’s and dad’s race, for a fun run of 50m – barking mad I tell ‘ee.

I ran barefoot and was asked what the point was if I wasn’t going to take it seriously – seriously!! 😯

My advice – either go full out to win by a country mile or make it obvious you will not take it seriously and enjoy it.

DavidB
    Free Member

Do NOT do it.

Several years back I lined up for the Dad’s race and they whipped out slings. We were then tied to the Dad next to us and it was morphed into a three legged race. I was tied to Captain Fat Knacker who was determined to win. I fell after 5 metres, but he carried on, dragging me to the line and pulling all sorts of ligaments and muscles in the process. We came last, it took me weeks to recover. I told the kids from that moment on “never again”.

johnhe

I’m 45, but reasonably fit. I thought I should give the day’s race a go, just to show my son I’m up for it. I came either last or second last, with no excuses. I can’t believe how fast those gus went. All wearing their work clothes. I’ve never been tempted again.

djglover
    Free Member

Brilliant thread, our kids are starting primary next year. being a runner I secretly want to annihilate the field 😈

Tom-B
    Free Member

Excellent thread! DavidB you have brightened up my morning 🙂

irelanst
    Free Member

We had a party a few weeks ago and all the dads from my daughters class were there;

Two of the dads are footballers, another dad played college football in the US and another one plays basketball at a high standard, there was hardly a fat middle aged IT worker amongst them. I’m going to get my arse handed to me on a plate!

marcus7
    Free Member

I turned up with spikes and a set of blocks (i knew the school would not have any ) and this was frowned upon!. Nah avoid like the plague IMO no win situation, come first and youve taken it to seriously come last and you are not trying!. sit back and maintain a mocking smile whilst “injured” its for the best. 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I went to one where all the other dads cheated by grabbing hold of clothes and pushing people over. It was only a 100m sprint and I just jogged along at the back because I’ve never been a sprinter but there was some real nasty stuff going on. After the race finished a couple of guys complained about the cheating so a further race was planned but this one would be long distance. About a mile I reckon

I crossed the line first (again, at a jog) , stopped and turned around to see most of the rest of the blokes either walking in pain or bent over being sick 😉 so there’s a lesson for you there. Try and encourage the teachers to make it long distance.

DezB
    Free Member

Are we talking senior schools here? My kid’s primary school sportsdays are always during working hours, so I don’t get to go 🙁

freddyg
    Free Member

Same here DezB. Always mid-week too. If they made them on a Friday afternoon, I could be there.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m worried about what’ll happen to me when it’s my turn for this…

Edric64
    Free Member

Primary school dads race were ok when I was a younger dad as I won it three years on the trot .Luckily at the school my youngest went to they didnt have dads races!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

WIN! YOU MUST WIN AT ALL COSTS!!!

MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

fasthaggis

Remember to keep it smooth 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4DQziPBog7s[/video]

Pukeko
    Free Member

DezB, freddyg +1. Preferably on a Friday afternoon… and after sneeky pub lunch!! I’m defo faster after a pint 🙂

irelanst
    Free Member

sportsdays are always during working hours, so I don’t get to go

You don’t get any holidays at work? It’s one of those things that I wouldn’t want to miss so am happy to take leave for it if needs be.

I only just made it last year due to working away but got to the school in time to see her win her race, awfully dusty those school playing fields.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Anything other than 100% effort will result in your kids failing their education, probably….

ajc
    Free Member

The approved technique is to stand around looking casual at the start. Don’t be the first to dash off at the gun, keep it casual. Then pile through from the back of the field to ‘just’ win as you cross the line.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

On holiday a couple of years ago in Teignmouth there was a sports/activity day on the beach. It was really well organized with footy matches/rounders/kids running races/best sandcastle etc etc … I of course got roped into the dad’s race.

Let me paint you the scene …. all the dads are sizing each other up and some, me included, are having a quick stretch knowing that it’s easy to hurt yourself in these situations… as we settled into our self made starting blocks of sand for the start, a hush descended over the massed crowds, the tension was palpable (a little artistic license there) and the organizers …. handed out skipping ropes !!!

Brilliant

No injuries, no macho winner. no agro…. Just a blooming good laugh.

I was gutted I had a tenner on myself to win 😀

dknwhy

Sounds to me like the OP doesn’t rate his chances and is already making excuses!
    The trick is to make it look like you’re not making an effort – stealth mode.

Maybe put in some practice sprints a few weeks leading up to the day. In secret of course – don’t even let the wife know as women talk and you don’t want this getting back to the playground. Obviously, if you have to Strava them to monitor your training – tick the private box.

Last year, I turned up in a footie shirt and some craghopper shorts with some Asics on but not proper running shoes. The clothing suggested casual but thought had gone into it – zipped pockets and light footwear with a semi fitted top.

You’re aiming for mid pack really so you look like you’re not competitive but still beat any of the dads who your kid is really friends with. You need to assert dominance over those parents that you see on a regular basis. You’ll always gonna have those “teenage pregnancy” dads of 20-22 who you will never beat so don’t get too hung up on it…..

Our kid’s school is fairly big so there were 3 races for dads. I milled around to get into a decent race where I was against my boy’s best friend’s dad and a few fat knackers. Got out the blocks fairly quickly and came through with a faster finish where others were fading. Ended up finishing 5th out of about 11 beating my main target by a couple of places.

Dominance asserted and the boy had a few bragging rights in the playground. Job done.

scaredypants

I was at a school sports day last week

No parent races – suits me

Heard one mum say that she’d complained to the organiser that her kids were being deprived of watching their mum win 😯 😆

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

It’s my daughters nursery sports day today, will there be a dads race?

DezB
    Free Member

You don’t get any holidays at work? It’s one of those things that I wouldn’t want to miss so am happy to take leave for it if needs be.

Well, I would too – if I got advanced notice!

br
    Free Member

Well, I would too – if I got advanced notice!

Its on the school calendar here, from the beginning of the year.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, just checked the web site – calendar goes up to Sept 2012.

scaredypants

Only one I’ve done was in my work shoes, leather sole

there was about 5 yards between the finish line and a hawthorn hedge 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

there was about 5 yards between the finish line and a hawthorn hedge

Are you saying you lack commitment?

scaredypants

Are you saying you lack commitment?

nope, skin

callous
    Free Member

Get your war face on

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 for take some blocks…also ask where the crate is for your gear

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

With the amount of single mums at our school, i may win by default 😕

Edukator
    Free Member

No sexism in France, men and women run together, Madame won.

Yak

I’ve been to one of these at my kids nursery sports day. I didn’t really know what to expect beforehand and turned up in work clothes and leather shoes.

The mum’s race went first and it looked fast. The face was fairly close as the usual Olympian bobsleigh mum wasn’t there. Then it was the dad’s race. I noted that most dads had gone for the subtle “normal clothes but running shoes” look, but some were fully ready in shorts and t-shirt on what was quite a breezy and cool day. Hmmm more serious than I thought. Anyway I got a bad start, but came through for 3rd I think. My kids were a bit disappointed, but it wasn’t a total embarrassment. I’m going to aim for this kind of mid-table mediocrity for future sports days and hopefully never raise the expectation of a win for my kids whilst not being too embarrassing.

Its a fine line.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Slightly OT, but i’m in charge of the Sumo suits at our schools fete this Saturday if anyone wants a rumble! 🙂

nickc

I got roped into one as a governor as a last minute ‘make up the numbers’

I’m not really much of a runner, but the fat dads in the race made the whole thing a bit embarrassing, coasted in not really out of breath.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Update.. 15 dads.. 1 winner.. 14 losers. Smashed the first half of the race, forgot to breathe and look where I was going. Felt my hamstrings straining, eased off into a respectable 4/5th. Not bad for a 37 year old hobbit who doesn’t do running against a lineup of footy/rugger players. Mote importantly I beat my brother in law who runs a lot and is a roadie who has been telling me for the last 6 weeks how I’m so gonna lose on sports day dad race.

bedmaker

I’m worried about what’ll happen to me when it’s my turn for this…

You’ll get overtaken? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Kids sports day.. dads race’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts