Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Kids Shotgun – riding with clipless pedals
  • Premier Icon zezaskar
    Free Member

Been riding quite a lot with my little girl on the Shotgun. She absolutely loves it (she’s 22 months old) and they’re some of my favorite rides ever.
    I’m currently on flats, and end up adjusting my feet position due to the ergonomics of the Shotgun.

I’m about to move to region where I’ll use the MTB to commute a lot and where riding will involve long fireroad climbs, which means I might go back to clips as my knees prefer them on long sustained pedals.

My doubt is, how to clips and the Shotgun mix together? Besides the safety considerations (I was on clips for nearly 10 years before switching to flats 3 years ago so I manage to dab reasonably well, but still…), are the ergonomics feasible with clips?
    Anyone with experience on this topic?

Thanks!

Premier Icon mashr
    Free Member

I can’t see it working very well due to the strange pedalling posture you mention. If I really wanted to use clips (and you use the seat too often, making swapping back and forth a faff) I’d be looking for some pedals with a big cage around them. Unlikely to have any negative effects when clipped in, but still fine for bimbling around with kiddo on board

Premier Icon timmys

I’ve only relatively recently started using clips in some situations (when I got a silly gravel bike last year), but I personally wouldn’t go near them with a kid in a Shotgun. Even if the chances are tiny, the thought of toppling overdue to not unclipping swiftly enough fills me with dread.

Premier Icon NewRetroTom

I’ve done a bit of riding with spd’s with my daughter on a WeeRide and on a MacRide which, like the shotgun call for some knees-out riding style. I didn’t find it a problem really, but rides with her are always pretty short.

As above you need to be very competent at using spd’s to have no fear of falling over.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Never considered not using my SPD’s with our macride.

If you are falling over due to not unclippingn then you probably shouldn’t but it’s as natural to drop a foot on SPD’s as it is for flats for me.

Premier Icon benjamins11
    Free Member

Have done it with and without. Found SPD’s a bit uncomfortable on my knees due to the angle I’m pedalling at. Prob ok with a smaller child. Def prefer the flats though, probably a bit safer too.

Premier Icon zezaskar
    Free Member

On the safety side of things, I have zero issues unclipping when riding on my own, never stressed about it. But having the little on on board definitely makes me a little hesitant.

I’m more concerned about the pedaling position thing, as I currently have no clipless pedals to try with. I’ve done 10 miles with the shotgun at most, guess that should start to add up in the knee department

Premier Icon zerocool

The wife couldn’t manage with her clips so had to switch to flats as the angle really hurt her knees. But I bought some cheap steel pedal axle extenders from eBay to widen our stance and that really helped. I wouldn’t rely on them if I was riding aggressively without the KRS though but they’ve been fine for the less hardcore stuff we do with the kids.

Premier Icon benbrownuk

I’ve been using a shotgun for a good few years now with kids aged ~2-5. I religiously mtb on my own clipped in. However, I cannot get a comfy pedal stroke clipped in with the shotgun so just use it with flats even when I take the kids on mtb trails.

Premier Icon butcher

Not tried it but I can’t see it working well either. It’s hard enough stopping and getting going as it is. And toppling over, which can happen out of the blue at surprising moments, I imagine is going to be more painful for child than it is you.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

And toppling over, which can happen out of the blue at surprising moments

Really ? if it’s that bad I’d not want to be riding with the kid on the bike period.

We rode all the witches trails blues today with our 27 month old on a Mac ride swapping between bikes. But looking at the shotgun I can see why you’d not get comfy it’s quite a bit wider by design.

Premier Icon zezaskar
    Free Member

Any more experiences to share?

Premier Icon LimboJimbo

I’ve recently switched from flats back to SPD’s and haven’t had any knee related issues when using the Shotgun. I should point out I use the multi release cleats and run quite a low tension on the pedals so you could try that and see how you get on.

Premier Icon zezaskar
    Free Member

So yesterday I managed to borrow a pair of M520 SPDs to try with the Shotgun.
    Hated every minute of it. Even though I have no trouble ever to unclip from SPD on regular riding, I felt really uneasy and tense, knowing the little one was onboard. Also, absolutely awful on the knee/feet department.
    That settles it.

Thanks for all the input

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.