Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Kids road bikes
  • daviek

I did write a longer post but it was eaten so I’ll make this a bit shorter. Or daughter is really getting into the local triathlon club but only has her mountain bike. Looking at either a Islabike Luath 24 maybe a 26 as shes fine leg length but about 2 cm short according to the Islabike site for the 26, A Wiggins Rouen 24 or a frog 67. This will be second hand but would like some other opinions from the good folks of the forums.

Cheers in advance

lister

My daughter has a Wiggins. She really likes riding it, it looks good, isn’t too heavy and her tri club is full of them.

Not crazy money either; get the Wiggins.

MoreCashThanDash

We get a few kids on Moda and Forme at our club academy (possibly as we have a contact at Forme, tbf)

sandboy

Both my kids have grown up on second hand Islabikes ,the youngest on a Luath 26 and found that as long as they are well maintained and looked after the resale value means you loose very little. We’ve gone from a Bein 20 upto a Luath 700 with 2 kids and overall cost less is than a couple of BSO’s from Halfords.

cheers_drive

Check out Kids Racing

Garry_Lager

Both my kids have grown up on second hand Islabikes ,the youngest on a Luath 26 and found that as long as they are well maintained and looked after the resale value means you loose very little. We’ve gone from a Bein 20 upto a Luath 700 with 2 kids and overall cost less is than a couple of BSO’s from Halfords.

Think the secondhand isla market is pretty saturated now – my daughter just moved up to a nice luath 26 that I got for 100 quid posted, and I couldn’t shift her 24 when I had it up on fbook. So the OP will easy pick up a secondhand luath if they fancy.
    My son was on a wiggins rouen 700 for a couple of years and that was good – you’d get one for 100quid easy secondhand.

infidel
    Free Member

My daughter is on a moda major but if second the kids racing suggestion.

TiRed

We had a used Trek 2000 (alloy with a carbon fork), 451c wheels and full 105. It was fantastic, but sadly stolen. I’d look for used as they hold their value. I replaced it with an XS Giant Avail ladies bike which I sold when teen 2 grew too big. They do look a bit odd with 700c wheels. The 451’s are much more to scale. I thought 24″ were limited in likely age range, to be honest.

kynasf
    Free Member

My daughter has the Scatto from kidsracing. At around 1.3m tall it was the only bike with full sized wheels (700c) that fitted her. To be honest I think she’s had a bit of an unfair advantage this year racing cx in the under 10s as the bigger wheels carry noticeably more speed than the majority of kids on 26” wheels. They hold their value well and A 2nd hand one has just come up on our local cx league Facebook page if you’re interested?

daviek

Thanks for the replies! Garry I wish I could find a Luath for £100!! there would be no question on which bike to get if I could. kynasf as much as I’d like to buy her a Scatto that’s way out of budget, they do look nice though.

dc2.0

Hi I’ve got a Moda Major that you can have for £150 if you’re anywhere near the midlands.

Also, a whole range of sizes of SPD shoes from 34-44. He wears mine now 😳

daviek

Hello dc2.0 we are north of Aberdeen so a wee bit away, shes on flats at the minute and not sure she would like clips but that may change.

dc2.0

I’ll be up in Pitlochry for Etape Caledonia in May. If you’re still in the market then, let me know and I’ll bring it up.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My lads have all had Frog bikes, we’ve got a full collection from the tadpole to the 20″ wheeled MTB and both the 20 & 24″ wheeled road / CX bikes and to be fair they’re bloody brilliant for the money.

The eldest has raced his 20 & 24″ ones to road and CX victories all over the place, and the middle one has done so on his 20″ one.

The eldest has moved onto a Kids Racing Hup Evo 700c disc brake bike now and the improvement he’s made is absolutley noticeable, it’s a good kilo or so lighter than his 24″ frog drop bar bike, the wheels are loads lighter even though they’re “just” Fulcrum Racing 900, but I reckon the biggest difference is the ability to fit quality tyres as opposed to kids hybrid type one.

He’s not tall for his age (8 in April), about average at 133cm and has about 3″ of seat post showing above the TT now he’s got used to it and can do running dis & re-mounts with no issue at all, so it’ll fit someone shorter, they really are worth the outlay IMHO.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Lstuylk2j/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

daviek

Thanks again for the replies. We are hoping to get one fairly soon dc2.0 but I looked at the sizing for the major and it looks a bit on the big side for her. Steve we wont be spending anywhere near that on a bike for her, if she sticks with it maybe at some point in the future but for now a second hand bike will do but I’ll keep that make in mind if it comes to it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Kids road bikes’ is closed to new replies.