• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by chip.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Kids in pubs, central Manchester
  • bob_summers

Having never been to the UK with the nipper, I’m wondering what the crack is. Any particular recommendations? We’re passing though at easter on the way up north and friends have reported everything from no problems to Slaughtered Lamb type reactions when they’ve been over. The lad’s well behaved, just looking for a pub with decent beer while his mam looks round the clothes shops.

allthepies
    Free Member

How old is said nipper ?

Drac

Send him with his mother. 😀

bob_summers

2 years old. He’ll happily sit with a book while Dad has a couple of pints.

Haven’t had proper beer for years so that might take me all of ten minutes 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Avoid the ones with a flat roof 😉

Go to blackpool as the play centre has a pub in it that sells beers in 4 pint jugs [ is not a joke its true]

I reckon most will be ok but it will really depend on the type of pub

derek_starship
    Free Member

Kids and pubs. Just no really.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve taken mine into The Slug and Lettuce before. They’re kid friendly. I suspect that The Moon Under Water is too.

Go for one that has a kids’ menu and buy him lunch.

sandwicheater

I’d be ticked pink if someone had brought in a baby goat to my local. Go for it OP.

We are talking goats? I mean, no one would go drinking on their own with a toddler?

[/url]Goat by sandwicheater1, on Flickr[/img]

ransos
    Free Member

Kids and pubs. Just no really.

Get a grip.

richpips
    Free Member

Kids in pubs.

My son always asks on a weekend if it’s time to go to the pub yet.

Cougar

Make sure you keep him away from anyone who has a dog tied to their stool.

bob_summers

So going by reactions so far, it’s a bit of a lottery!

crankboy
    Free Member

In Wakefield city centre the kids sit on the pub step with a packet of crisps and a bottle of coke while the dads are inside at the bar.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Get a grip.

Definition:

PUB noun
    1.Formal name: public house (mainly British) a building with a bar and one or more public rooms licensed for the sale and consumption of alcoholic drink, often also providing light meals
    Definitions

TODDLER noun
    1.a young child, usually one between the ages of one and two and a half
    2.(modifier) designed or suitable for a toddler ? toddler suits

Toddler pub? Nah.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s a pub round the corner from me where the kids often pick their folks up while they’re passing on the way home from school. But that’s Brizzle. I imagine in Manchester, the kids go in and have a pint first, and then they all go home together.

Toddler pub? Nah.

Use some of those grip exercisers then. That’ll help.

ads678

In the afternoon, it’ll be fine.

crankboy
    Free Member

“So going by reactions so far, it’s a bit of a lottery! “
    Yep some think pubs are friendly places serving the public and welcoming to all comers.
    Some view pubs as adult male exclusive drinking dens where men are men fighting dogs are misunderstood scamps, women are ornaments and children dog food.

These views can be held by both customers and landlords.

fasthaggis

Nothing wrong with a bit of father and son bonding..

taxi25
    Free Member
    tonyd

Didn’t a lot of pubs used to have childrens rooms, or is that just something my parents told me when I were a lad? Might explain why my sister and I were sat on our own most of the time!

Don’t know any pubs in Manchester OP but if it’s a proper local pub for local people I don’t see why not. As long as they’re not all stabbing each other.

mrchrispy

There are loads of places you could have a pint with the nipper in tow.

The Wharf in castlfield would be a good choice, great selection of beer and loads of room.

Corner House the other side of town but beer selection not as good as the Wharf but still nice to hang out.

Odd bar in the Northern Quarter would be worth a look, oddest in chorlton actively promotes it the youngsters (in a good way)

hora
    Free Member

Get to the Cornerhouse quick. Its closing soon 🙁

@Richpips 😆

Whereabouts in Manchester? I always take my son into any Manchester pub as long as its before 7pm. The ONLY time its not been good is the taphouse at Spring Grove/Huddersfield (understand why though) and my local if they are being rowdy (Stretford).

oddest in chorlton

The staff there are amongst the most chilled/nicest that I’ve met todate. Agree on children there. Seen loads (behaved).

I’ve also taken mine into Electrika and the Beech.

Home Sweet Home in the Northern Quarter- hora jnr was there Sat night.

binners

You’ll know from the look of the pub whether you’d be welcome with kids. Anywhere in Castlefield (Dukes, the Ox, White Lion) and you’ll be reset. Odd and a few bars in the northern quarter will be fine too

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’d look for the smartest, swankiest, officeiest, hipsterest place you can find full of selfregarding fashion twerps of which there are no shortage in Manc. They’ll hate it, but you’ll have alot of fun watching them hate it.

edit: I’d aim for a couple on the new picadilly development, er bit. Anddon’t forget to take the squeaky hammer

bob_summers

This’d be well before 7, got a train up north before then.
    Northern Quarter is ideal as I’m hanging for some This n That as well. Thanks for the recommendations.

Odd thing, culture. Here (San Sebastian) you’re fine with kids in bars/restaurants ’til late. Half a hour over the border and you get glared at if you’re not out of there by 7, or just told there are no tables. Wasn’t sure what to expect in UK.

chip
    Free Member

Toddlers in pubs, defo.
    They can watch your pint while you go for a slash.
    If they start kicking off let them press the buttons on the fruit machine for you.
    And if they are cute,might improve your chances with the bar wench.
    Win win all round.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Kids in pubs, central Manchester’ is closed to new replies.