Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Kids growing up – when it hits you
  • MoreCashThanDash

Eldest is 16. Been regularly away from home on school, Scout and music trips etc since he was 8, had 3 weeks in the States this summer, but just realised he is always with a group of friends and/or under some element of adult supervision the whole trip, except for some of his recent Explorer escapades.

Just dropped him at the station to catch a train down to Fareham and it’s the first time I think that I’ve watched my 6 foot tall “little boy” head off all on his own. He’s perfectly calm and competent and I know he’s in for an interesting couple of days away, but I just had a moment wondering how fast the years have flown.

Apologies if this belongs in the pathetic middle aged man thread 🤔

fasthaggis

When he got a job and took us out for dinner.

weeksy

When mine sent me a whatsapp message.

Luckily he still makes up for it by coming for cuddles every morning 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Flies by, makes me sad and happy in equal measures. 17 and 14 soon to be 18 and 15.

perchypanther
    Free Member

My 16 year old daughter starts her first job on Saturday.

I’m looking forward to seeing the realisation dawn on her face when she sees what a full day’s work actually entails and how much effort is actually involved to generate income.

I expect it’ll be a sobering experience.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The realisation in the summer that my twin stepsons are the same age as Charles Leclerc.

wwaswas

The realisation that by this time next year both my children will have left home.

Gunz
    Free Member

When my daughter (13 yo) countered one of my opinions with a cogent argument and made me change my mind. I realised that there was a mind that was developing independently of my direction.

Kryton57

Mines approaching 11 and starting to have a few emotional moments.  But, after spending half term at his grandparents hes come back stating he doesnt want to go to places “full if of little kids” anymore.

🙁

bruneep

when hes been at his work/girlfriends and you not seen him for a week and arrives home unannounced with a mountain of washing and expects a 3 course meal ready to eat.

tonyg2003

For me it was this summer. “great holiday Mum and Dad but its probably the last one I’m coming along with you”. He’s 16. Quite a moment for me and the wife. Happiness (yah holidays on our own) and sadness at the same time.

lunge

My dads was when he went to watch his some (me!) play veterans football.

MoreCashThanDash

Great, aren’t they!?

Suspect I’ll be worse when it’s his younger sister!

binners

Its when you realise you’re probably not going to figure in their plans for the weekend. That takes a bit of adjustmaent

Me and my 15 year old Binnerete Number one have shared playlists on our Apple Music account. She’s got great taste in music and has introduced me to some cracking stuff. And she still wants to come to Old Trafford with me even though we’re shite. Most of the time she’s out and about doing her own thing.

13 year old Binnerete Number two still likes doing stuff with dad, skating and cycling and stuff, but I’m sure the days of that are numbered

wors

My lads 13, he’s pretty independent, most of the time he’s making plans with his mates but every now and again we are graced with his presence to do family stuff. Usually if we are going out for something to eat!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

When your son has more need for condoms than you do.

fasthaggis

stevenmenmuir,channeling the ghost of Hora.

mrchrispy

@fasthaggis where is the forum like button when you need one

TiRed

My youngest has just taken his best friend to Brugges. In my car.

fasthaggis

Winner^^

in bruges

Harry_the_Spider

My 12 year old lad has just started high school. At primary he was a scruffy bundle of hair in a bright red sweatshirt, now every morning I’m greeted by a 5’5” chap in a blazer and tie with a Clark Gable moustache.

His hair is still a mess though.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

When my daughter announced that I was a “right w****r” when she was 13.

the-muffin-man

Not the first moment of realisation – but I was proud of my 16yr daughter the other week. Her cousin is a train-nut and for his birthday – rather than buy him some tat – she decided for his 15th birthday she was taking him on a train trip to York Railway Museum as a treat.

She’d sorted the best off-peak price, booked the train tickets from Derby to York and sorted it all before she even told us.

She’s up there now – just him and her.

globalti
    Free Member

GtiJunior is in his third year, on attachment to a huge software company in Middlesex. When we drove him down and dropped him at his shared house in Twickenham, we put it off until the last moment possible then drove away. Looking in the mirror I could see him standing on the pavement waving as we disappeared – still breaks my heart typing this TBH!

Still, he’ll be back next Autumn for his final year.

tenfoot

About a year ago when he was still 16 I noticed my son’s shape was now more that of a young man than a boy – broader shoulders, no puppy fat and the like.

He did well at his GCSEs, is now learning to drive and has so many potential opportunities in front of him. I’m a bit jealous.

dawson

When I paid for her provisional driving licence for her 17th birthday present.

mogrim

“great holiday Mum and Dad but its probably the last one I’m coming along with you”. He’s 16.

Get that in writing, then book a holiday for two to NYC or similar and see how he takes it 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Ha, my lad was in NYC in the summer and hated it, hot, dirty and stank of weed apparently.

He’d bite your hand off to go back to Washington nor Quebec though!

sharkbait
    Free Member

When my eldest (now 19) passed her driving test and I glimpsed her turning out of the driveway on her own…. Without telling anyone she was going out.
    😕

stumpy01

My daughter’s 4th birthday today and this thread makes me sad and excited… probably more sad than excited, which I suppose is selfish.

Doesn’t seem like any time at all that we were knee deep in nappies, sleeping in 3hr shifts as she would only sleep on us for the first 3-4 months and pressing the button almost constantly on the Perfect Prep machine…!

jimmy

What Stumpy says. Mines 4 and I’m dreading the day she doesn’t want to goof about at the weekend together.

matt_outandabout

When he got on a plane and headed to France for three weeks riding the Alps with a friend…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

When he got on a plane and headed to France for three weeks riding the Alps with a friend…

Oof. Forget what the others have said, that must proper smart.

Be strong fellah

MoreCashThanDash

They’ve just let him text us to say he arrived safely 6 hours ago 😄

neilnevill
    Free Member

4 and 2 yo girls here and i feel the same as stumpy and Jim!

Sandwich

You’ll know you have done a good job when they ask you for help in their mid twenties. It’s like a really late 5 star TrustPilot review given without an invitation.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I got a big hit when I found my (then 17 now 18 y o) son‘s weed stash earlier this year! *see earlier thread of mine.😉

wors

My daughter’s 4th birthday today and this thread makes me sad and excited… probably more sad than excited, which I suppose is selfish.

Doesn’t seem like any time at all that we were knee deep in nappies, sleeping in 3hr shifts as she would only sleep on us for the first 3-4 months and pressing the button almost constantly on the Perfect Prep machine…!

I’ve struggled with the transition of my little lad growing up into my not so little lad. He’s only 13 but he seemed to turn from my lad who we used to mess about doing stuff at weekends to a teenager just wanting to do stuff with his mates almost over night 🙁 I can’t complain, he’s a great lad. And he still gives me a cuddle now again. As well as beat me toy fighting….

Harry_the_Spider

Played a lot of one-on-one basketball with my lad over summer. The only way that I could beat him was to resort to dirty tactics*. He knows this, so takes it in the right spirit.

Also, at Karate he spars with the adults. He may be the same height as some of them but he’s half the weight, so he gets dumped on his ass quite a lot. The time will come soon though when one or two of the smaller adults are going to get a slap. I’m still quite a bit bigger than him, so I think I’ve got 3 years or so before he puts me down… by which time he’ll be a Black Belt if he sticks at it.

My daughter is two years younger but the same grade and already fights above her weight. She’s not got the reach to trouble anyone yet, but it will come. She’s got more aggression too, so will be a right handful!

*Like the PE Teacher in Kes.

bob_summers

Reading this thread lying in my 6yo’s bed. He’s just fallen asleep after a story and has one arm round my neck and the other round his teddy. Kinda don’t want this stage to end…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Kids growing up – when it hits you’ is closed to new replies.