Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • kids cranks what is there?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sorry, i know its probably been asked before… but what decent weight cranks are there for kids bikes? 152-155 ish, for a 24″ wheeled bike but i’d lke to be able to use them on a 26″ in the near future.

ta!

qwerty
    Free Member

SRAM NX

Yak

Thorn have a decent range of lengths to choose from. Look at SJS Cycles.

qwerty
    Free Member

Hope.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i Hope you are joking . DYSWIDT?

woody2000

I used some of the suntour xct Jr on my lads 24″ bike. Cheap, but unlike some of the cheap chainsets you can remove the rings and they are the ubiquitous 104bcd. 152mm long

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@woody2000  cheers did you use the existing BB?  are they square taper?   did you save much weight?

woody2000

They are square taper, I replaced the BB as the old one was knackered anyway (used 115mm). Not sure about weight, they were definitely lighter than the ones that were on his bike before though! The rings on the suntour cranks are heavy, but I took them off and put a cheapo 32T narrow wide on for him.

lardman
    Free Member

Like Woody, my boys are running “suntour xct Jr” at 150ish mm.
    Plenty light enough with a lightweight NW ring instead of the steel jobby that arrived on it.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I bought some of these for my daughters Commencal Ramones 20″ for a more gradual transition from Islabike cnoc 16 super short cranks.

https://kidsracing.co.uk/collections/short-cranksets-kids-cranks-lengths-narrow-q-factors/products/hup-kids-cranks-childrens-short-104bcd-narrow-q-factor?variant=15137739079743

Work with square taper BB and 104 bcd means lots of choice for chainrings.

EDIT; jwh beat me to it.

lardman
    Free Member

dont shop with the Devil, obvs….
    but here they are.

gnusmas

Saw these the other day while searching for the same thing myself. They have a square taper, 104bcd and they’re available in 140mm,150mm and 160mm length. Only thing I’m not sure on is the ring offset.

https://www.sourcebmx.com/products/jet-bmx-square-taper-race-cranks?currency=gbp

BillOddie

Both my kids are on the Thorn cranks and they have been fine to be honest.

Trickiest thing was getting hold of a suitable BB in the current bike supply chain apocalypse.

Those Kids Racing Cranks look good but £250???

ads678

Kidsracing now do a setup which is fully customisable…

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha £250!!!!! XT is only £120…

Both my kids have the suntour jobs for about £25 each, then a decent square taper BB and narrow wide chain ring. They work great and end up about £50 each.

Why do those amazon link never work….

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cheers, have found the suntours here in sweden for 18 quid online.where do you get cheap narrow wides from? and chainring bolts i presume.want to go to 32 ring as current 36 is too much

https://www.bikester.se/sr-suntour-krg-xct-jr-t-202-chain-set-152mm-820577_2036105.html

i should just be able to plop them on the existing BB in the frame . currently square taper steel things.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/kids-24-inch-age-9-12-mountain-bike-rockrider-st-920-green/_/R-p-305463

woody2000

I bought a ring off amazon for about £10

a11y

Same as @woody2000, Suntour cranks with a <£10 30t n/w ring off eBay. Massive improvement over the standard cranks which came with a 36t ring on a kid’s bike (WTF)

gray

They do cheaper ones too:

https://kidsracing.co.uk/collections/short-cranksets-kids-cranks-lengths-narrow-q-factors

I have the HUP ones (well, my son does). Still a long way from cheap, but they’re the right size and pretty light. Work fine so far, but, well they’re cranks under a 25 kg person so not much to go wrong really!

steve_b77
    Free Member

My lad has the cheaper Kids Racing ones on his CX bike in 140mm and they’re bang on for he money, perfect for single ring set ups and I think you can get a 28t on there, he runs a 30t in CX mode and 38t in Youth gearing set up mode (cassette change)

stevextc
    Free Member

152-155 ish, for a 24″ wheeled bike

That must be a mahoosive 24er …My lad uses 145mm on his 27.5 …

but i’d lke to be able to use them on a 26″ in the near future.

If you are buying a DJ the crank length is less important because they are stood up pedalling.
    If you aren’t buying a DJ why on earth would you buy a frame a with 26 rear triangle?

As for cranks he has Zee and old Deore (non Hollow crankarms) and the DJ has some cheap SRAM 152mm sq taper. The SRAM were free and the Zee and Deore were £10-£15 off ebay then cut to length

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘kids cranks what is there?’ is closed to new replies.