Kids bike Orbea MX team disc 24 or 26?

Home Forum Bike Forum Kids bike Orbea MX team disc 24 or 26?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Kids bike Orbea MX team disc 24 or 26?
  • themyers

Hi

So my daughter has waaaaay outgrown her Isla beinn 20 and needs a new bike.

I am pretty set on the Orbea as it is cheaper than the equivalent Frog and higher specced Isla.

However, I am not sure about size. I took her to a.shop but they didn’t have any in stock, after trying a couple of other brands they guy thought a 26.

However, looking at the Orbea site at 138cm tall she is the lower end of the 24?

Obviously a 26 is attractive as it will last longer, but I have another daughter a few years younger so she will inherit whatever we get so it is no issue.

Does anyone have any advice? Finding built Orbea in shops seems to be impossible so it will be an online purchase unless Orbea suddenly make a load more!

Cheers

🙂

lister

We’ve got a 24” MX trail here. My daughter is an average size and is 10 this month.

24 fits her well and she loves it. Saddle is probably at mid range (with a dropper fitted), I think she probably will grow out of it by the end of the year.

She can ride her older brother’s 26” kona but only with the saddle slammed down.

Not sure if that is any help…!

themyers

Thanks, that does help. How tall is she?

Premier Icon jonathan
    Subscriber

Looking at Orbea’s size guide I would guess it’s pretty conservative and based on standover (ie tope tube clearance when stood on the floor) rather than riding size. For context my 155cm 13 year old has just moved onto a small (adult) Intense Carbine (27.5)  and it fits him well – Orbea’s sizing would have him on a kid’s 26″. His younger brother (8 years old, 130cm) has (since Christmas) moved from 20″ Islabike, through 24″ Kona, and on to the now vacant Trek Fuel Jr (26″ but with a very small frame – I couldn’t stop him – it’s a full sus!)

Whyte’s sizing for their 26″ kids bike is 125-151cm – that’s got a 706mm standover compared to the Orbea’s 713mm

138cm is Islabike’s minimum height for the Creig 26 – they don’t publish useful things like geometry.

Having just seen my youngest go from a 24 to a 26 and the increase in confidence that’s given him on rocky/technical trails I’d say if they can get on the bigger wheel then definitely do it – bit of a game changer.

squealer

I got my son the 24” one last year when he just turned 8 and was 136cm. He’s a year on and a fair bit taller now and it still fits him fine with loads of seat post left to go.

I’m confident the 26” would have been too big for him.

Bream

Just bought my son the MX24, he’s 8 in August and 130cm tall, rides with the post quite far down. I’d say with your daugthers height I’d definately buy 24″ wheels now, especially coming from the 20″ as the jump to 26″ would be huge for her.

stevextc

Stating the obvious but 24.26  are wheel sizes and have nothing* to do with the size of the bike …

*(OK, that a bit pedantic… but there are XL adult sized 24 and 26… and 20 for that matter)

The real point is that a small sized 24 is a lot different to a larger sized one just like a XS 26 is way different to a XL 26 so assuming she fits it’s a 650 vs 29 question scaled down.

Ultimately what do you and her want to ride?

It’s a lot like adult bikes except everything is ‘a bit more so’ for kids… but if you don’t know then the middle is the safest option:

The Frog (and a few other choices) are OK for canal paths or such

The Orbea’s are a trail HT Geo and all the frames come specced with disc tabs anyway, don’t know about this years but previous models the limiting factor in rider size has been their crank length… There are other’s…. but the Orbea’s have one of the shortest chain stay lengths and I think the shortest and best trail Geo in price range.

Then there is a choice of Full Suss options…

To end up with a decent bike the main things to consider are perhaps …

Coil spring forks on kids bikes tend to be heavy window dressing..(tried a friends daughters last weekend and I can compress them less than my Pike’s in terms of relative movement – I think they were nominally 80mm and my whole 72kg compressed them about 20.. her Dad’s 110kg got about 30mm) . but you can buy good air forks … <€200 (RST F1rst air from bike discount) – so in some ways a rigid means your not paying extra for something that just adds weight and can be changed later.  If you’re looking at Orbea then all their frames come with disc mounts…

The other thing is wheels or hubs…. again a bit obvious when said but you can’t mount rotors unless the hubs are disk compatible.  Equally a freewheel is always a freewheel so you can’t stick on a cassette if you want to upgrade…

Many otherwise decent 24 bikes come with adult length cranks…  they won’t be pedalling very far seated..

However quite honestly I’ve now come to a conclusion that it’s not really economic trying to buy a new mid-range bikes if you intend to do half serious stuff … it ends up costing more and upgrades get tied together so you can’t put a decent drive chain without a cassette rear hub… and can’t add decent brakes without a disk hub etc.

If you enjoy tinkering (I do) it can be fun and rewarding and help reduce a spares bin but meanwhile the kid is growing… so it’s a bit of a spend it all at once anyway… the advantage being you can wait until this is what’s holding them back….

Commencal also sell frame only…. (from memory €100 or so)

If on the other hand you can afford it then getting a ready-to-ride (half seriously) has it’s merits…

A friend bought a used MX24 basic version for £80…  put some half decent wheels on (£200) RST F1rst (£150) a properly sized crankset (£80) and a bunch of spare parts (1×10 drive chain, some unused brakes etc..  The result is a pretty capable and light HT… sub £500 of spend.

When I did the kids 24er XC bike I spent more mainly because I didn’t just replace everything.

When we got his FS I ended up spending less…. bought used bike, chucked the forks and wheels and drive chain .. and its a larger 24 frame … it’s way lighter than a £500 HT… based on the Cube with the coil forks…

Premier Icon jonathan
    Subscriber

And to back up those DIY/tinkering comments.. I ended up with this which I sort of need to sell this now:..

Kona 24″ frame, shortened (ie properly cut down and rebonded) Pace forks (converted to coil, but a Ti coil), 2 x 9 with XTR rapid rise mech and XT shifters, Thorn cranks, Spank rims on SLX hubs, Shimano hydro disks (sub Deore), etc, etc – if anyone’s interested let me know and I’ll sort out proper details

themyers

Thanks for your advice.  True advice indeed on the frame size. Frog are better in that they alter the frame size within wheel size as often it is not the case i.e. with Orbea 20, 24, 26 All have one size each

I managed to find somewhere that had a 24, it fit well now but was about inch off minimum insert.

Tried the frog 69 which looked good but but but pricy

To your point, in my head we are rising gnarly trails, in reality we are rising bridleway at most!

Cheers 🙂

stevextc

Frog are better in that they alter the frame size within wheel size as often it is not the case i.e. with Orbea 20, 24, 26 All have one size each

Yes and No on kids bikes… at one point its a bit big, then just right and then a bit small… you either can’t win or lose depending if your a half empty kinda guy.  (With a sibling I’d say it’s pushing into can’t lose)

Other than a few very pricey bikes in 20″ the 24 stage is really the one where the bikes start to split into purpose rather than being a “BMX with gears”… and kids progress really quickly so bridleway can quickly turn into gnarly trails…

On the 20 we went from canal towpaths to blue at Swinley to starting reds but riding hesitantly.

In the current life of his XC 24er we basically went from less gnarly to riding pretty much every gravity trail at FOD or Surrey Hills before it became a bit much for the bike or cycling up both sides of Afan in a day on the long days.

I guess the point is when he got the 24er he was riding completely different trails and distances than 2yrs later so don’t underestimate where you might want to be.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.