Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Kids bike maintenance
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

How do I get into this bad boy?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FaRDFFuRQCFrRwUk7

Hopefully that photo works….

trailwagger
    Free Member

Anyone able to confirm if the image link works please?

binman

Yes, the image works. It was a long time ago, but I think that it unscrewed from the hub with the aid of a vice (hold the cog in a vice and unscrew by turning the wheel), but hopefully someone who really knows will be along with some wisdom.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m no sure you can open those. Pin spanner may lift the front off, or vice to get it off the hub. Vice will utterly wreck it, but ai guess it’s playing up anyway. Pretty cheap just to screw a new one on.

junglistjut
    Free Member

Screwdriver in the hole and tap with a hammer ?

jaylittle
    Free Member

As mentioned cheap to replace, used a vice to crush/lock the old one and turned the wheel to remove it.

timoth27

Watch this, you don’t have to ruin the sprocket.

JoeG
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>timoth27
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Watch this, you don’t have to ruin the sprocket.

</div>
    Yes he does. The OP’s freewheel does not appear to have any means for using a freewheel removal tool. I’ve seen these on kids bikes before.

reeksy

I changed one over from a bent wheel recently. I used a punch in one of the two holes to loosen it off. Pretty easy in the end, bit it took some googling to confirm I was doing the correct thing.

timoth27

Ok my bad, never done one myself but after seeing that vid (just been given a trials bike) I thought it could be useful as they use an old chain instead of crushing the sprocket in a vice like suggested above. Just thought it might be a bit less destructive. (Watch the whole vid)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Kids bike maintenance’ is closed to new replies.