Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Kids Bike – Kona Hula 24?
  • funkmasterp

Oh font of knowledge that is the STW bike forum I come seeking advice. Funk Jr is growing too quickly and his trusty Frog is now too small. He’s also getting more adventurous in his riding, but still not up to proper MTB. Bits of bridleways, knackered towpaths, pump track etc.

I’ve been looking at various 24” wheeled bikes for him and he likes the look of the Kona Hula. Big tyres would seem a better bet than a suspension fork considering his skill level and what, I imagine, are less than stellar forks on most offerings. I don’t think disc brakes are a necessity either. Anybody had a Hula for their kids who can tell me a bit more?

I’ve also been looking at Orbea MX and Laufey, another Frog, Whyte 302 and Squish. Moneys not great at the moment so would be selling the Frog (or Frogs) to help fund. Some of the nicer ones are a bit too expensive unfortunately. I’ve been offered a 2018 Orbea MX on here but just want to look at options and take Funk Jr’s ideas on board. I think he’s a fan of the plus sized tyres. Dad’s influence after owning a Stache and a couple of Stooges 😀

Any opinions, insight or alternatives welcome.

csb

The vitus 24 plus on chain reaction looks brilliant at 290 quid at the moment.

mr spicy
    Free Member

My 5 year old rides an Orbea MX20, he got it as a hand me down from my 7 year old that now rides the Vitus 24. Agree with CSB, these are really good value for money. The only thing I have done is to swap the tyres for some 24″ big Betty’s and the amount of grip and confidence it’s given my son is amazing. The only downside has been building up his legs to a bigger bike, but that is just temporary!

thepodge
    Free Member

As a massive Kona fanboi I’d choose the Vitus 24+.

johnnystorm

No doubt the Vitus is good but if wee nipper wants a particular bike that isn’t awful I’d go with that. He’ll want to ride it more then and that’s what matters!

funkmasterp

Thanks for all the input. That Vitus does look fantastic value. It appears to have better or similar kit to some bikes with a £500+ price tag. I shall be showing Funk Jr pictures of it. Similar colour to my bike (Ti so kind of grey).

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have the Vitus 24+ for the grand daughter, shes loves it having out grown her 20 inch Cannondale Cujo 🙂

paule
    Free Member

How soon do you need it? My daughter is going to be outgrowing a 24″ hula (older one, but with a lightweight 1*10 setup and nice wheels) soon, probably in the spring?

Pretty sure I bought my dirtbomb from you, so it’d be a decent deal!

funkmasterp

Thanks @paule, I’ve dropped you a message. It was me you purchased the Dirtbomb from. I miss it and still wish I could’ve convinced you to part-ex your dog!

funkmasterp

Thanks all – went for the Vitus with an extra £10 off!

Who wants to buy a Frog 52?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.