Kids bike help

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Kids bike help
  • chrisski33

Hi im looking to get a new bike for my son who will be 10 this year. He is 4ft 8 and although its noted thay a 24″ wheel bike may suit him im wonderingbif i should get a 26″ one as he will definately grow in the next two years. Any ideas?
    Thanks

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

Try him on some bikes. See what he’s comfortable on. Some kids cope fine with a bike a bit on the large size, others it will put them off forever.

isitafox

As above, plus different brands have different wheel sizes that work. My 8yr old moved onto a 26″ Wiggins last year and my just gone 11yr old is on a 27.5″ Trek

Premier Icon andy4d
    Subscriber

When my fella was 10 i had similar thoughts. I went for a 27.5 voodoo soukri. It was a bit big at the time if i am honest but he could ride it and a year later, now 11, its perfect as they grow so quick.The voodoo is a “ladies” bike but we find the shorter reach perfect for him and being 27.5 we hope it will last him a few years……and he loves it.

He is 4ft 8 and although its noted thay a 24″ wheel bike may suit him im wonderingbif i should get a 26″ one as he will definately grow in the next two years. Any ideas?

Definitely a 24″ bike. Getting too large a bike too early is dangerous and may stunt not just his sporting aptitude but also his emotional growth as he comes to terms with repeated failures and banging his nuts off the crossbar.

Not only is a 24″ bike better, but repeated peer review tests have shown that for some reason green bikes tend to work even better under these circumstances.

And it just so happens that I have a 24″ green kids mountain bike for sale in the classifieds. Now if that isn’t fate working for us all, then I don’t know what is.

Premier Icon binman
    Subscriber

Whyte 403 / 405 should be fine. They have 26” wheels. One just sold SH on eBay for £300.

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

I also reckon my boys benefited from not being rushed up the wheel/frame size ladder.

They have just gone from 24in wheels to 26 and 27.5in wheeled bikes (14in frames) at age 11 and 9 (though the 9 year old is bigger than most 11 year olds).

I have a couple of 24in wheeled Saracen Mantras for sale if anyone is interested…

ads678

Depends on the bike, and the kid.

My 10 year old lad is on a 26″ wheeled Giant Trance X and he loves it. It gave him more confidence straight away. I bought it as it was a bargain and wasn’t going to give it to him unless he fit it, but he loved it instantly and just started jumping off stuff, bunny hopping and trying to manual. He’s been on it for nearly a year and is 4’9″ now.

As long as he has enough room on it it’s just like one of us going from a 26″ to a 29er.

grimep

My boys are 9 and 12 and we’ve just moved up to the next size bike for the oldest who is about 145cm tall and a 69cm inside leg. I did hours of research, we visited a couple of bike shops, I considered Frogs, XXS and XS frame sizes of entry level MTBs (might have bought a Giant ATX 2 if it had been in stock, so you might want to try the XXS if there’s one near you)… but my advice boils down to – get down to Halfords and sit him on the 13″ Voodoo Nzumbi on 26″ wheels. This has got everything a boy wants in a bike and has plenty room for growth. Bit pricey but I was lucky enough to catch the 20% off trade-in for a battered old micro scooter a couple of weeks ago. If that’s too big then I’d recommend what my 9 year old is on – an Orbea MX24 Dirt which set me back about £220 and is a great little bike. But at this age they grow so fast he’ll only be on it for a couple of years max – his older brother rode it for a year. So 2nd hand can make a lot of sense.

Sui

Im in the same boat with 9 year old daughter, whos very leggy. She’s just about 140cm, and i’ve tried her on a few 24″ bikes (13.5″ frame) and the bike fitted well, but not much growth. Have also tried a Giant Liv Bliss 2 in XXS, and it fits well, but comonentry is a bit iffy and not keen on the steep head angle. So…. until this thread popped up i was looking at either

Hoy Bonaly
    Vitus Nucleus 26

but now interested in that Voodoo!!

grimep

I considered the Hoys etc but they didn’t seem great value to me and only the Voodoo with garish paint and front forks had the wow factor. I weighed ours, and while it’s not in Isla/Frog territory, neither is it a typical Halfords tank. Can’t remember the exact figure, 13ish I think, can weigh it if that’s important to anyone. I think parents, especially cyclists with nice bikes, tend to obsess a bit over weight, but it’s not a priority for the kids at this age. Another plus, there’s just the one ring up front, while XXS/XS adult bikes are likely to have 3.

I picked up a voodoo nzumbi recently for my 9 year old and I’m really impressed with the bike. It helped that I got 20% trade in and the Halfords guy couldn’t work the till very well so he charged me only £260!
    The is not much choice around of single ring 26in wheel and the voodoo is really good

Defo 26” wheels, there’s a really nice XS hardrock in the classifieds…..

Sui

Just popped to Halfrauds on the way back from Hospital appointment with the little lady, the Nzumbi came up too small, well i say too small, very little growing room at all, but a nice bike nonetheless!!

Popped in to Giant as well, and sat her on the Liv Bliss 2 xxs, and it fits nicely.

I’d really like her to try the Vitus, but it’s mail order and £90 dearer, but the components look better and i prefer the geometry more as well.

So – do you think an 9 year old will appreciate a 69 degree head angle (LIV Bliss) over a 67 (Vitus)?? and will the none girls specific frame be off-putting (for me obviously) on the Vitus…. or am i massively over-thinking this..?

grimep

Hope I don’t sound like Voodoo marketing dept but there’s a 15″ frame too, perhaps you tried a 13″.

Vitus looks like a great bike if you can find one to try out sitting on. The male/female specific things is dumb, I would probably have bought my lad a Specialized Pitch female in XS, nice low standover, but the pink decals put an end to that idea. Doesn’t bother me but 11 year old school kids are image aware

Sui

@grimep, it was the 13″ but i couldn’t get any sense out of the lad in the shop on the differences between 13″ and 15″ (apparently just raising the seat 2″ will tell me all i need to know (sigh).. Has any got ideas on the various measurements for the Mzumbi 13″ vs 15″ anywhere? I’d did seem like a good bit of kit for the money..

grimep

I searched high and low but couldn’t find frame geometries, the Nzumbi doesn’t even figure on the Voodoo website. I wanted to try my lad on the 15″ but the nearest in stock was SW London so gave up on that idea. The spotty oik in Halfords said they’d had a 15″ in, and a kid who tried it after the 13 found the reach too much. Raising the saddle has nothing to do with it. My lad said the 13 was perfect, probably to escape from being dragged round more bike shops.

tomcrow99

I’ve got a tall (150) nearly 10 year old girl. I’m waiting for another sale at Halfords and will get her a small Voodoo Maji. Wipes the floor with all the other brands spec wise and has decent geometry. Weight is a bit of an unknown but bike radar reviewed the men’s one (hoodoo) at just under 14.7kg. Which is quite a bit more than the spec sheet, so will have to wait to get hold of one in the shop.
    Should hopefully be able to scrape it for under £400 with a gift card cashback.

Yetiman

I bought my 9 year old daughter a Voodoo Maji a couple of weeks ago and she’s absolutely loving it. Good spec for the money and the geometry is fairly decent too. She’s 153cm and after trying 14” & 16” frames ended up on the 16”.

beiciwr64

“I also reckon my boys benefited from not being rushed up the wheel/frame size ladder”
    This!
    Depends on what stuff they’re riding,if it just easy trails then i don’t see much of an an issue with incorrect frame size,if they’re doing jumps and drops,different ball game,i wouldn’t want to be on bike that’s too big for me,crank lengths also come in to play.
    The suspension needs some thought as well, adult sized bikes are valved for adult weights,again it all depends on what they’re riding.

chrisski33

my mate sons have the orbea mx24 dirts and great bikes so prob looking at those and not expensive either tbh. not looking form suspension yet. seen lads at dirt track we go to on bikes id say are too big jumping and doing tricks and doesnt seem to hamper them so a xs 26 may be possible

scuttler

Whatever you get make sure it has air forks. Some kids/small adult bikes from well respected manufacturers (yes Whyte/Rich Energy I’m looking at you) come with heavy and barely adjustable coil forks. Sure it’s my fault for not doing enough homework but they’re quick to tell you the seat QR is designed for smaller/weaker people but then they whack a fork on with springs in it… Der.

Sui

Cheers all, i’ve put an order in for the Vitus Nucleus 26, it fits the bill on most counts, but more money than i wanted to spend. It turns up 3 days before her birthday (11 days delivery!!!) – so not much time to try it for size and correct it if i need to go to plan B (Liv Bliss 2 xxs or Mzumbi 15″).. eek. Will let you know how it goes as there are no other reviews for the bike i can find.

ianpv

Just put my son on a 13″ marin hawkhill, which is a 27.5 bike, but I put it on 26″ wheels with shorter cranks/stem/bars too. He’s 145cm, and loves it. Won’t ride his 24″ bike now…

ocrider

I’ve done the same as Ianpv with an XS Commencal Camino. We turned it into a 1×11 and are gradually adding lighter bits as we go along (she’s currently got a thing for orange ano)
    The fork might be a tad on the heavy side (raidon coil) but a light spring cost a tenner and the 26 inch wheelset gathering dust in the garage combined with some lightweight tubeless tyres (2.0 X-kings) saves weight where it really matters with far less investment.

natrix

I think parents, especially cyclists with nice bikes, tend to obsess a bit over weight, but it’s not a priority for the kids at this age.

When you only weigh 25kg the extra 3 or 4 kg of a heavier bike makes a fair bit of difference. The children might not say anything but imho they’ll cycle further and faster on a lighter bike.

tomcrow99

When you only weigh 25kg the extra 3 or 4 kg of a heavier bike makes a fair bit of difference. The children might not say anything but imho they’ll cycle further and faster on a lighter bike.

Whilst that is true for smaller kids, my daughter (nearly 10) is 45kg and is pretty strong to boot, so, in my case at least, I’m not that worried about a bit of extra weight and I think the benefits of bigger wheels, air fork, chunky tyres and decent geometry are probably worth the penalty (within reason) at the sub £500 price range for casual riding.

tomcrow99

I bought my 9 year old daughter a Voodoo Maji a couple of weeks ago and she’s absolutely loving it. Good spec for the money and the geometry is fairly decent too. She’s 153cm and after trying 14” & 16” frames ended up on the 16”.

@Yetiman Any idea of a real world weight?

grimep

I’m not suggesting putting them on a 15Kg tank, but likewise paying for a 10-11Kg lightweight seems unnecessary. Having said that I rode with my boys and the neighbour’s boys a couple of weeks ago, and the 12 year old on a big heavy lump was out in front all the time and had a good ride. 5 – 9 years old though, I’d say a Frog or Isla every time.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

I built my lads a Spesh Hardrock each. Rigid Exotic forks, big tyres, basic 1 x 10 Deore kit. They loved how light & chuckable they were. Both running Sids now, picked up cheap off classifieds. If I was doing it again I’d put a 29er forks on them, the slacker HA worked better when running rigid over rough stuff.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.