• This topic has 51 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by ry33.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Kids Bike For 8 Year Old
  • ry33
    Free Member

Hi

I am looking to get my Son’s next bike, he will be 8 soon after Xmas so starting to have a look now.

He has always had the Islabike range, currently Beinn 20” Large, with Continental Explorer 20 inch Tyres

I was looking at getting him either of the below

Frog 62 https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/frog-62-kids-bike £340 24”wheels 12” Frame

Isla Beinn 26https://www.islabikes.co.uk/product/bikes/beinn/ £439 26” wheels, 13.5” frame (There is Beinn 24 but this is for 7+) 24” Wheels 11.5” Frame

Whyte 303 https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/whyte-303-2020-kids-mountain-bike £499 24”wheels 12” Frame

However I am wondering if its worth while getting one with front suspension forks as this next bike should do next couple years?

Frog 62 MTB https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/frog-mtb-62 £630 24” wheels, 12.5” frame

Isla Creig 24 https://www.islabikes.co.uk/product/bikes/creig/ £699 24” wheels, 12” frame

The first Whyte with forks states age 10+ so would most likely rule this out

Whyte 403 https://whyte.bike/products/403-petrol £599 26” Wheels 13” Frame although this is same as the Isla Beinn which is for 8+ wheel and frame size

natrix
    Free Member

IMHO it would partly depend on how heavy he is (lighter children benefit less from suspension) and the type of riding he does.

weeksy

We went for a T403 about then, my lad was reasonably tall for his age, but not massive. Excellent bike it was.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ry33
    Free Member

He is probably average for 8 years old, he is slightly taller for his age, he is defiantly not small and light

ry33
    Free Member

@weeksy The Whyte 403 does look great and good price just concerned it might be to big a jump from what he has now

weeksy

Not sure how well this shows the sizing…

rossburton
    Free Member

Unless he’s really shredding, I wouldn’t bother with suspension.

Surely the STW thing to do is to buy a Carrera Blast from eBay that should be in the tip for £50 and rebuild it using all the ‘spare’ parts you have in the garage. If you’re interested I’ll be selling a 24″ Blast frame (in original battered green), carbon forks, and Islabike Creig wheels shortly.

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/N91Q7J]2018-08-20_10-03-39[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Maybe this shows better…

jamesy01
    Free Member

Just bought a Voodoo Nzumbi for my 8 year old, slightly on the large side but he can get his feet down and it’ll do him a good few years.

Was going to to hold off until Christmas but Halfords were doing 20% off when you traded in any working scooter or bike. Used the online code for a click and collect, went down to the store with a skip bound scooter in the boot and ended coming away with the scooter still in the boot!

Lovely bike, reasonably light and plenty of option to upgrade.

ry33
    Free Member

@ rossburton not really looking to buy 2nd hand and build

@weeksy
    thanks, looks fine for the bike hard to tell fully, any idea what height he was when you got the 403?

There is no rush to get him off his Beinn 20 so I guess if 403 is better option and would maybe last him another year or 2 on top could be an option.

weeksy

Honestly no idea mate sorry, not measured him. We don’t do the marks on the wall type thing that some parents do… Sorry i can’t be more help.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Saracen Mantra 24 is perfect for that age, my eldest loves his

View this post on Instagram

Quality ride out with @tommybowman7 @jackbowman14 @dtewhittaker & Paivi at the weekend with Tommy taking on the side of Stone Drop and Jack taming the Old Pale climb @kids_racing_uk #hupcc #teamhup @frogbikes @ktmbikesuk @nakedbikesuk @rapidracerproducts

A post shared by Steve Bowman (@steve_b77) on

alan1977
    Free Member

got my lad an Orbea MX24, lots of build options from steel fork, ally fork, suspension fork and disc brake options, depending on what they will use.
    As he is a small 8 year old i went lightest ally fork vee brakes.. and it is a light bike, his first real ride ever and he did something like 13 miles no major issues

ry33
    Free Member

@weeksy no worries, I dont have my son’s height either. Thanks for your replies tho all helpful 🙂

@steve_b77
    and @jamesy01 @alan1977 I will take a look at those, I narrowed it down to the list I had but worth a 2nd look over

ry33
    Free Member

I’d rule out the Voodoo one for him at his age as the weight is 16.4kg compared to the Whyte 403 at 12.7kg, however is a good deal with 20% off

Obrea MX24 Trail looks good but cant find the weight

Saracen Mantra 24 also looks good

I guess the first question is do I go for the first options on the list that are cheaper and all rounders, or go for a more MTB style with front forks, think once I can figure that out can look further.

alan1977
    Free Member

my bike weighs ~14kg, and his is significantly lighter, i picked up the 2018 model for 275 brand new, so its priced well

ry33
    Free Member

@alan1977 thanks for that, which MX24 model did you pick?

alan1977
    Free Member

i went with the ally fork, i think that’s the team model? lightest and simplest for him, as he wouldn’t be hitting anything that the forks would help with and his weight and size (he is on the seat all the time still) and i had read that disc brakes could be a little overwhelming due to their power.
    I figured it will do him between now and maybe 12.. and the bike is worth upgrading going forwards

ry33
    Free Member

@alan1977 thanks for info

Yeah that is my main consideration just now with the list I have, go for suspension forks or not.

willjones
    Free Member

Timely! Any thoughts on plus sized bikes? I thought it was a good way to improve grip, and soften ride without weight of not very effective forks:

Commencal…

Vitus…

I’m struggling a bit here as it’s a ton of cash to spend on a bike that will only last a year or so before we’re into building quality s/h 26″ wheeled bike, but our soon-to-be 8 year old is really into his riding, something we naturally want to support!

akira

Canyon Al 24 kids bike worth a look as well. Not the cheapest but good spec and nice and light.

weeksy

that’s why we went with the T403 as it had better residual value that many. People who know bikes, know it’s a good bike and are prepared to pay more.

Akers

We got our eldest a Early Rider T24 for his eight birthday. Pricey, but light and we’ll get good use out of it, as it’ll get passed down to his younger brother, just as the Belter 20″ has.
    Our boys are both 91st centile on the growth chart, so tall for their age but even so at 8 years old the eldest was only just big enough to ride the 24″ wheel bike even though he was 135cm tall when he got it. I think 26″ wheels are too big for their age.

stevextc
    Free Member

Depends what you/his mates ride ….

No reason they won’t ride the same places as you if they have a decent bike.

Mine’s just gone 10 and moving off his 24 onto an adult XS but him and his mates (girls and boys) just ride the same as the parents (except for a few parents who won’t ride the tech)

He got his 1st 24 at 6 (very small framed HT) and onto a FS 24 at 7 going on 8…

All he/we ever did was just ride stuff though and I stopped having to think about kid friendly years ago, now he ruins my exercise by refusing to ride flat boring places.

ry33
    Free Member

Added to my list and some more details

No Suspension Forks –

Frog 62
    https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/frog-62-kids-bike
    £340
    24”wheels
    12” Frame
    10.1kg
    No Discs
    No Suspension Forks

Isla Beinn 26

Beinn

£439
    26” wheels
    13.5” frame
    9.4KG
    No Discs
    No Suspension Forks

No Suspension Forks but discs

Whyte 303
    https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/whyte-303-2020-kids-mountain-bike
    £499
    24”wheels
    12” Frame
    10.3kg
    Front Discs 160mm
    Rear Discs 160mm
    No Suspension Forks

Suspension Forks and Discs

Frog 62 MTB
    https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/frog-mtb-62
    £630
    24” wheels
    12.5” frame
    11.3kg
    Front Discs 160mm
    Rear Discs 140mm
    Suspension Forks

Isla Creig 24

Creig

£699
    24” wheels
    12” frame
    11kg
    Front Discs 160mm
    Rear Discs 140mm
    Suspension Forks

Saracen Mantra 24
    https://www.saracen.co.uk/bike/mantra-24
    £580
    24″ Wheels
    ?? Frame
    11.2kg
    Front Discs 160mm
    Rear Discs 160mm
    Suspension Forks

Orbea MX 24 (various choices with/without suspension forks, discs)
    https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/kids/mx-kids

Suspension Forks and Discs Maybe too big for 8 years old but good value

Whyte 403
    403 PETROL
    £599
    26” Wheels
    13” Frame
    12.7kg
    Front Discs 160mm
    Rear Discs 160mm
    Suspension Forks

natrix
    Free Member

Worth looking at the Hoy Bonaly 24″, weighing in at 9kg. That’s what my daughter has and she loves it.

ry33
    Free Member

@stevextc tbh all his mates have had a mix of bikes for under 8s, Hoy, Isla Frog, Wiggins etc this is the stage I am at carry on with an all rounder until age 10 then step into suspension forks and discs or make that step now.

The Whyte 403 would be my choice but need to check out his size against the specs as feel its too big a jump up

funkynick

My son was on a Frog 69 MTB when he was about 8 1/2, although he is one of the tallest in his class. I was a little resistant at first to getting him a bike with suspension, let alone a 26″ wheeled one, until he was older, but having tried one of the Frog 69 MTB bikes at his bike skills session it fitted okay, he could ride it easily, and he was markedly quicker on it than the 24″ Isla bike he’d been riding before, and also significantly more confident on anything technical.

When we bought the bike we did try him on the 62 MTB (the 24″ wheeled one) and it fitted him perfectly at that point, but he’d have been outgrowing it by now and we just can’t afford a ‘new’ bike for him every year… as it is I’ve still got a year to go before this one is paid off!

The next worry is how long he’ll be on the Frog for… he’s already able to ride my bike about with the saddle dropped!!

Overall it’s quite a tricky decision to make I think, and it’s really easy to spend a lot of money changing bikes as the kids are growing up trying to get the perfect size all the time.

ry33
    Free Member

@natrix meant to drop that one in, same as Whyte 303 no suspension forks but brakes however better priced

Hoy Bonaly 24
    https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-bonaly-24-inch-wheel-disc-2020-kids-bike-EV306434
    £435
    24” wheels
    ?? frame
    10kg
    Front Discs 160mm
    Rear Discs 160mm
    Suspension Forks

Stainypants

We have a voodoo Bakkor for my 7 year old which i managed to get new during the Halfords trade-in for £275. I’ve added a First Air fork, a 30t N/W chainring, and a 40t cassette. I also had some 24 Rocket rons (which saved a ton of weight) and some deore hydros which i fitted. It’s a great bike now.

He’s done Cannock, llandegla and Cannock Reds on it no bother. He had a Bienn 24 before and on some of the harder routes he was getting knocked around a bit.

ry33
    Free Member

@funkynick I think I’ll take him along to local bike shop and try out the Frog 62 MTB and 69 MTB as a guide

ry33
    Free Member

Whats the main thoughts on going for a bike just now with front Suspension forks and disc, or just stick to an all rounder for couple years until aged 10, alternatively go for the Hoy or Whyte 303 with discs and if forks are needs look at an upgrade?

traildog
    Free Member

I’ve just got my 9 year old a Whyte 403. It really is an awesome bike but he’s on the smallest end of it (there is a sizing guide on the Whyte website). He looks tiny on it, but he’s handling it really well and the big wheels seem to help him get over stuff. I had him on 20″ wheel bike all last year which was way too small but I didn’t want to buy a bike which wouldn’t last that long. 24″ wheels are the more usual way to go though, but I’m super impressed with the Whyte.

ry33
    Free Member

I do love the look of the 403 and price is great, will last him a god few years, he is on no hurry to get off his Beinn 20 so could always run them both until the time is right, the beinn 20 will be passed down to his brother anyway.

I think when I am up testing him on the Frogs and look at the Whytes too for a guide. Just seems a big jump 20 – 26 wheels and obviously bigger frame.

I’ll see what he is like on all 4 at the shop Frog 62, 69 MTB and Whyte 303, 403.

Still interested to see opinions on the below

Whats the main thoughts on going for a bike just now with front Suspension forks and disc, or just stick to an all rounder for couple years until aged 10, alternatively go for the Hoy or Whyte 303 with discs and if forks are needs look at an upgrade?

iamtheresurrection

I think it’s been covered but my 9 year old has been on his MX24 for about 9 months. He’s 10 in Jan, pretty average height, and will be on 13” 27.5 BY Feb/March. He’s about at the limit of the MX24.

We went rigid and cantis, MX team I think. I’d factor in some decent levers if you go that route (Avid Speed Dials here) and he’s on a clutch Deore 10sp drivetrain now with a N/W chainring as we were forever dropping the chain off-road.

The biggest one-off cost was a set of Chromag Radar Youth, but they’ll stay with him for a few years and they are a great pedal. Couldn’t find another of similar size/quality, must be one though.

He regularly does Kielder/Glentress/Hamsterley red (well, with a couple of chicken runs when he’s not feeling it) as well as lots of local loops. The Orbea has been spot on and is a nice (short) length.

funkynick

ry33… on discs and forks, I think it really depends what sort of things he is riding and how often.

I relented as he was following me down all sorts of off-piste stuff on Cannock Chase… stuff that I could have ridden on a rigid, but would be no fun which is why I ride a hardtail… it seemed a bit mean to not let him have them too when we were getting getting him a new bike.

One thing I have noticed is that he is far more ‘jumpy’ now on the hardtail than he was on the rigid… he’s trying to pop off everything!!

weeksy

Pretty much that. My lad went xc racing, Swinley, bpw, morzine once he got the T403 it gave him massive confidence.

He’s just turned 11 now and is doing gap jumps etc and reds. Along with making his own jumps and drops

Imo the better the bike, the more fun he’ll have. I do understand it’s not always financially viable to think like that too.

ry33
    Free Member

He’s not doing anything very challenging, usually just local loops, trails through local forests and usually when I am out running with the dog, my youngest is usually with us too so it nothing major.

When he gets to age 10 the HT are all suspension forks and discs so just wondered if it was worth while making that step now and paying the extra to get HT over Rigid.

I’ll take him up to the bike shop and try him on the Frog 62, 69 MTB, Whyte 303, 403, to gauge size.

I think I’ll rule out the all rounders in the Frog 62 and Beinn 62, and focus on the others in my list as they are more MTB focused.

The Isla creig 24 I think I will also rule out based on the price alone at £699 the others will be as good for less money.

ry33
    Free Member

Had a look at the Whyte sizing and 303 is 120-140cm and 403 min is 135cm.

Measured my boy yesterday and he was 130cm, will see how he gets in when trying them in the shop.

He won’t get the bike until Christmas and my youngest won’t be ready for his Beinn 20 until spring so might work out for the 403.

stevextc
    Free Member

He’s not doing anything very challenging, usually just local loops, trails through local forests and usually when I am out running with the dog, my youngest is usually with us too so it nothing major.

That’s a bit self fullfilling though. Just pointing that out… if that’s what the bike is ‘capable’ of (within reason and being fun) then that’s what you’ll do?

Mine just turned 10 but we ride stuff I couldn’t imagine myself riding just a few years ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Kids Bike For 8 Year Old’ is closed to new replies.