Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kid's 24"/26" build – any views?
  • martinhutch

I’ve been looking at some nice-looking and reasonably cheap frames in CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=84289

These look like a DJ-oriented frame – but is there any pressing reason why I can’t build a 13″ up into a 24″ wheel general use bike for my 10-year-old lad this Spring? I imagine sourcing 24″ disc-ready hubs (for less than a small fortune) might be a pain – what else is going to trip me up here?

binners

If it was me, I’d buy something like this and upgrade it with some decent brakes and stuff. In fact thats exactly what I did!

But you could use it as a donor bike, and swap everything onto the new frame over if you were that bothered. A lot less hassle than trying to sort 24″ forks etc

ianv
    Free Member

It will be a heavy frame as its steel and a jump bike. Something alu would likely be better. Other than that, the only problem is finding reasonably priced wheels and if you are really keen, short cranks. 26″ forks work fine on a 24″ bike.

martinhutch

I did consider that it might be stupid heavy. Was mulling over rigid forks for now if I could get away with it.

Binners – that’s worth considering, even as a donor bike. Wonder how much those Carreras go for second hand.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My daughter who is a 11 year old short arse rides an on-one 456. It’s a 16″ with short cranks, stem and 26″ wheels. It was a little bit on the big side to start with and a 14″ would have been perfect but she is growing into it just nicely.

martinhutch

Rad skilzz…you’ve still got time to delete that before the helmet police get on to you! 🙂

How tall is/was she?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I would say she was around 4’10” in that picture. Maybe an inch shorter when I built it earlier in the year. 50mm stem and an inline seatpost with the saddle nudged right forward.

Rad skilzz…you’ve still got time to delete that before the helmet police get on to you!

Kids bounce, she’ll be fine…

binners

Wonder how much those Carreras go for second hand.

I picked one up for £60 off fleabay, then put Avid BB5’s, and decent narrow bars, short stem, shifters and tyres on it. Its a great bike.

I’ve got a small Pace RC325 frame there ready for her next move up 😀

martinhutch

Yep, 26 is a step too far, I think – he’s a proper shortarse, like his dad.

The fact that fireeye don’t publish frame weights means it probably is a biffer. Very nice looking frame though…and it would be good to get him involved in building it up himself.

martinhutch

Notice that Carrera you linked has shot up by about £18, binners. That’s the magic of your endorsement, clearly.

br
    Free Member

I imagine sourcing 24″ disc-ready hubs (for less than a small fortune) might be a pain

Not really, I got a pair through CRC. Custom build or Deore hubs on Sun rims – £100 new.

I did this for my son on his Dr Jekyll 4x bike, and laterly put 26″‘s on it now he’s grown a bit. Light too, as its an alloy frame.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Ive done the same as Binners,them Carrera Blasts are mint,ive put him some Kendas on,plus Formula Rx’s and Red hope floaters,along with some thumb shifters,theyre a great little bike..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kid's 24"/26" build – any views?’ is closed to new replies.