Kidney doning advice

Home Forum Chat Forum Kidney doning advice

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Kidney doning advice
  • Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

You’ll go for tests where they’ll take blood and ask you lots of questions to assess your suitability. If it transpires you might be suitable, you’ll be counselled and further assessed.

Nobody will let you make this decision lightly. It’s a great thing to offer an organ but the likelihood of you being a suitable match is tiny.

You only need one kidney. The statistics show that donors tend to live longer lives as a result of being of better health generally.

I wasn’t selected because I’ve not had kids yet and my mum had pre eclampsia when she was carrying me.

officialtob

A good friend of mine has now gone on the critical list as he needs a kidney. I’m offering one of mine – what can I expect?
    Anyone done this?
    Many thanks T

Have no helpful advice I’m afraid, however anyone that has a friend like you is pretty damn lucky, hats off to you sir, and good luck 🙂

tyger

A good friend of mine has now gone on the critical list as he needs a kidney. I’m offering one of mine – what can I expect?
    Anyone done this?
    Many thanks T

geetee1972

Wow. Just wow. What an amazing thing to even consider.

As a 15 year old in work experience in a tissue typing laboratory at Manchester Royal Infirmary (where my mum worked in the dialysis ward) I was lucky to get to watch a kidney transplant from mother to son. At the time the donation operation was quite a big procedure and involved having to remove the lower ribs to access the kidney but this was 20 years ago and now I believe they do it laprisopically.

When you say he is on the critical list, is it at a stage where the kidneys need to be removed or is he receiving dialysis just now?

Agree with wallops post. My wife is a nurse in the acute dialysis ward in a hospital and i hear stories like this quite often. The chances of a match are quite slim but even the fact that you are willing to give one of your kidneys up for your friend is to be commended.

peterfile

No helpful advice from me either, although as someone with a relative who spent a large part of her life on dialysis and now has her life back thanks to a donor, i’m grateful that there are people like you around. I’d buy you a beer but I wouldn’t want to damage the goods 😉

Tyger,
    Can’t tell you anything about the donating process but as someone who has lived on one kidney for the last 30 years I can assure you that the body is well over – engineered on the kidney front.

I’ve had a few blood pressure issues due to imbalance of chemicals generated by running on one, sorry can’t remember the details and this may well be down to me personally. Well under control with a few pills.

Peterfile – I’ve more than tested the beer effect, monitored with annual kidney function tests and it’s all good.

tyger

I really don’t consider this any form of big deal on my part, he’s my friend.
    I’m arranging for tests later today.
    Thank you Peter(s) very reassuring.
    He’s in Southampton General and his wife called me last night to say that his current kidney is now failing.
    Many thanks for all your kind replies.

julianwilson

Nothing to add but my huge respect to you tyger for the testing and being willing, and my best wishes to your friend.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Kidney doning advice’ is closed to new replies.