Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Kid in a kiddy seat when the frost and ice gets here?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Currently take my youngest to nursery in a Hamax child seat every day. He is 3 at the end of October and is well under the maximum weight for the seat. The route is around 3 miles and on the way there I avoid the main roads – travelling through a park, a riverside pathway and then on the pavement along a fairly busy main road. I take hialomg this route, and then return home at speed by road, grab my bag and head off to work (which is 5 mins away from home). The route is reversed in the evening. Ashton loves it and it is one of my favourite parts of the day if I’m honest.

Concerned that when it gets frosty the route will not be salted, and as I get to the riverside I have to go along a wooden bridge that gets very slippery when frosty/icy. The main road will be well gritted and does have a cycle lane alongside it. Would you:

a) Risk the ungritted pathways and pavement with cross tyres?
    b) Risk the route but switch to a mountain bike and travel with 2.35 purgatorys on the icy days?
    c) Risk the gritted busier road, using the cycle lane with a kid on the back?
    d) Take the car when its cold?

richpips
    Free Member

Cross tyres won’t save you. Ice Spikers or similar may.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Yeah, not sure if studded tyres are overkill down here though – although slippy, the ice and frost rarely get thick enough to warrant something like that – I always figured spiked tyres would be crap on tarmac (even if it did have a think layer of ice on top)?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Edric64
    Free Member

Get a trailer sprog stays toasty and upright even if you dont

andyh2
    Free Member

Continental Winter tyres, and as suggested above, a child trailer. Or a trike!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Hmm, the trailer idea seems like a good one. Any recommendations?

richpips
    Free Member

We used a variety of Burley trailers. Another good thing about trailers is it’s much easier to keep the kids toasty.

edhornby

I also take the nearly 3 yr old to nursery on the bike, at the start of the year she was getting really cold even with a blanket – cos she’s not pedalling just sat there with the wind whistling around her

I will be getting a trailer to solve both issues

takisawa2

Another vote for a trailer.
    Used to tuck my two up under a folded sleeping bag.

Burley Solo would be my choice, but we got by with this cheap one…

On-One “Slidey” Inbred by pten2106, on Flickr

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Trailer will keep the little one warm but won’t keep you upright. Ice tyres on tarmac are fine, slightly crunchy noise but otherwise fine. They are however phenomenal on ice.

richpips
    Free Member

Oh, and I rolled a trailer more than once being a bit silly. The kids were fine though.

Edric64
    Free Member

They stay so warm in the trailer that they fall asleep .Burley ones are very good I made do with a cheap lidl one and apart from being a bit heavier it performed well

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Cheers guys, looks like a winner. Do the trailers unclip easily? I would need to leave it at the nursery.

Edric64
    Free Member

Mine clamped on the chainstay and only took less than a minute to get on or off

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Cool. Ta.

hatter

Chariot do a ‘bunting bag’ that integrates into the harness, you just place them in and zip it up around them up to their chins, had my boy out in -4 temps this January with just his indoor clothes and a wooly hat and he was fine, fell asleep in there no bother.

Also agree 100% with the safety aspect should you bin it on slick roads, it’s one of the main reasons I went for a trailer over a child seat.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fyi spikers are fine on tarmac and are far superior to mtb tires on ice.

Even used my marathon slicks at puffer this year with no ill effect much to brants discust when he saw wht i did to the td-1

And a trailer would be far preferable to a child seat in ice for sure.

carlphillips
    Free Member

+1 for trailer, our halfords one was good for both our boys and now is still going strong for our friends kids, takes less than 30secs to unhook, pull a pin out and its done..
    kiddy seats not good/safe when slippy.

Stoner
    Free Member

and top tip, a ski/romper suit with a couple of those liquid/solid hand warmers stuffed inside it keeps Jr toastie in cold weather.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Kid in a kiddy seat when the frost and ice gets here?’ is closed to new replies.