Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • KickStarter: CydeKick – a frictionless dynamo with USB output
  • GrahamS

Still in draft at the moment (launches at the end of the month) but this looks quite promising.

Uses magnets (how do they work??) to generate power which you can use to power a light and recharge your phone/GoPro/roadcam etc.

What say the naysayers?

MSP

It sounds like they are just externalising the internal workings of a dynamo hub.

GrahamS

Yep – but that’s a good thing because it means you can fit it to any bike rather than getting a wheel built up with a special hub.

philjunior
    Free Member

Yeah, and making a knock off of the B&M lights with USB output.

And making the dynamo in such a way that you can’t run a disc brake with it.

I’m out.

philjunior
    Free Member

What’s the projected cost of the full system? Will it be cheaper than an entry level hub plus light? (plus build/spokes if you’re feeling generous)

GrahamS

And making the dynamo in such a way that you can’t run a disc brake with it.

You can fit it to the front wheel on the non-disc side surely?

GrahamS

What’s the projected cost of the full system?

The KickStarter page has the lights-only mini-system for a pledge of $150 (USD) and the usb+lights system for a pledge of $275

So if those reflect the retail price then it’ll be a bit pricier than a dynamo hub + wheel build.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Frictionless? Snake oil right there. I’m out.

bruneep

And how will it stand up to a wet winters ride?

philjunior
    Free Member

What’s the projected cost of the full system?
    The KickStarter page has the lights-only mini-system for a pledge of $150 (USD) and the usb+lights system for a pledge of $275

So if those reflect the retail price then it’ll be a bit pricier than a dynamo hub + wheel build.

Hmmm, so a pricier uglier solution probably come up with by someone who has not tried a decent dynamo hub system…

I’m still out. Seems a pity if they’ve put a lot of effort into it.

rusty90
    Free Member

If only someone like Sturmey Archer had thought of this 80 years ago …

GrahamS

And how will it stand up to a wet winters ride?

Yeah that’s the biggest concern for me – looks great on hipsters in sunny Miami. Might struggle a bit in freezing salty road clag. 😀

GrahamS

If only someone like Sturmey Archer had thought of this 80 years ago …

Prior art? Got links?

squirrelking
    Free Member

No Added Friction

Bollocks.

Clearly don’t know what they’re talking about, they might as well claim to have invented a perpetual motion generator.

footflaps

Demo video is hardly inspiring, the LED front light is barely visible!

rusty90
    Free Member

Prior art? Got links?

Surely you jest?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hub_dynamo

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s basically a motorcycle stator, isn’t it? There’s no mechanical friction in the generator bit itself but there’ll still be a resistance felt due to the… gaaah… A-level physics don’t fail me now… back EMF (I think). There’s still mechanical friction in the bearings and stuff.

GrahamS

Right, but this isn’t a hub dynamo though – most notably because it’s not in a hub. So I think it would probably pass a uniqueness test for a patent.

STATO
    Free Member

Bin done.

http://intelligentdesigncycles.com/product/sunup-eco-ds-1r-spoke-dynamo
    Connects to proper lights too as its a proper dynamo.

Not to mention these ones you can get in most shops.

Bikerumor Review – Reel Light Commuter Bike Lights

scotroutes

Surely a normal hub dynamo doesn’t have any friction either (other than that of the axle bearings as per any other hub).

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yup and a whole hell of a lot less exposed too. But as a retrofit I can see the appeal of this system even if it is nothing new.

Always fancied some of those Reel Lights, look like a nice fit and forget option for secondary lights.

aracer
    Free Member

Yep, and they suffer from the same issues this one will – that the spacing between stator and rotor has to be larger because there isn’t the same control over tolerances you get if you build it all into a hub, and that increased spacing makes the efficiency a lot worse. As mentioned above it’s only frictionless in the same sense that every other hub dynamo is frictionless – so long as you exclude the friction in the bearings which is just the same for this, and don’t count the magnetic resistance (it’s not back EMF, that’s an electrical thing, but I CBA googling the correct term either).

The quoted efficiency in one of those links is surely BS.

STATO
    Free Member

well if you want truly frictionless, then these are what you want (i make no claim of the quality or ability to work or the stupidness of blocking half your light with a tyre).

https://www.reelight.com/en/products/city-supreme/city-supreme/city-supreme-steady-light-set/

robdob
    Free Member

I have an Exposure dynamo hub and a B&M front light/USB charger and rear brake and side light. Its very bright, fit and forget, and you can’t tell you have a dynamo hub at all, this new idea doesn’t seem like even half the quality/value. The light looks like Lego, and not good lego either….

uphillcursing
    Free Member

At a fundamental level: You move a conductor through a magnetic field to induce an EMF. You can not make the EMF from nothing so there has to be some “work” done and there is your friction in the mechanism.
    Make the magnetic field strong enough and cutting the lines of flux with a conductor becomes really, really hard. Try carrying an aluminum ladder through a 3 Tesla field and you know you are working.

dragon
    Free Member

Struggling to see any advantages over a set of lights with a couple of AAA batteries in.

As for USB charging never something I’ve felt I needed on a bike. Even iphone batteries aren’t that cr*p.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Back EMF:
    As the motor speed increases the eddy currents and the resulting back EMF also increase. When the motor reaches its maximum operating speed back emf will be generated at a constant rate. When a load is applied, the speed of the motor is reduced, which reduces the back emf and hence increases current in the motor. If the load stops the motor from moving then the current may be high enough to burn out the motor coil windings.

Generally, the load slows the armature down and so the current increases as the back emf is decreased. This produces an increase in current and torque to cope with the increased load.

GrahamS

As for USB charging never something I’ve felt I needed on a bike. Even iphone batteries aren’t that cr*p.

If you run your phone as your GPS (Strava/Endomondo/CycleStreets/BikeHub etc) then it could be useful on longer rides – but personally I just carry a little battery pack for that.

legend
    Free Member

dragon – Member

Struggling to see any advantages over a set of lights with a couple of AAA batteries in.

I know one nutter off this forum that decided to go out for a quick ride after dinner one December night last year. Got back to the house around 4am and 160miles later, no battery concerns required.

rusty90
    Free Member

Wireless charging pad on the bars so hipsters can re-charge their iWatch whilst riding their fixie to the cafe for an artisan latte? Seems to be the target market 🙂

GrahamS

This looks like a much neater solution for providing USB power from a hub dynamo:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/supernova-the-plug-iii-usb-charger/aid:713880

(spendy though!)

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m glad we’ve established that:

-It looks shit.

-It costs more than retrofitting a decent set of hub dynamo lights.

-It will be less efficient due to the bigger air gap.

-If you want easier retrofit stuff, you can just use battery lights.

I have the B&M light with the USB charger, but I only got it for the remote on/off switch and marginally brighter light – you can’t use the USB charger if it gets wet anyway unless you make an enclosure for it, but as others have said it might work for Iphone latte drinking hipsters in dry places.

scotroutes

You can buy a Kemo USB charger for £30 at Maplins

Esme
    Free Member

Very useful if you’re doing a long distance ride. I met a JOGLE rider last week, with something similar on his recumbent bike.

dragon
    Free Member

That’s where I’m going wrong I use a Garmin Etrex 10 for GPS and my phone well as a phone. Far lighter, cheaper and no resistance unlike a dynamo (plus non bike specific) and both will last days.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Pfffffffffft

GrahamS

I use a Garmin Etrex 10 for GPS and my phone well as a phone. Far lighter, cheaper..

Not sure how buying and carrying two different devices is lighter or cheaper than just one. 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My bike weights 60+lbs before I haul my lump onto it. The Nexus dynohub/B+M Werk combo charges stuff and powers a bright front LED. The only friction I notice are chafing comments from bike-tarts/pub-bores but even they soon leave me in their wake so I can cruise happily on in the knowledge that am still a smiling, juice-sipping tortoise 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

Well I’m assuming you’ll be carrying a phone anyway, so then it is a Garmin vs Dynamo in weight. As for cost basic Garmins are dirt cheap less than £100, no idea what price that dynamo will be but it’ll cost more than that I’m sure.

GrahamS

Which is why I said “personally I just carry a little battery pack for that”. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘KickStarter: CydeKick – a frictionless dynamo with USB output’ is closed to new replies.