Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Kickr Core and what else is needed
  • honourablegeorge

What do I need to get started? Kickr core, a suitable cassette, the front of a bike – and what else?

I have a PC with a screen – does that do it? DO I need a subscription to zwift or similar, or can I just use Wahoo’s own software to display distance, etc, and watch Netflix?

Superficial
    Free Member

Don’t try and just watch Netflix. I tried that with a dumb trainer and it’s so mind-numbingly boring. I felt as though I’d done my planned hour but looked down and I’d been going about 10 minutes.

It’s possible that Netflix + some sort of workout session / pre-programmed intervals could be OK. But really, you want Zwift/TrainerRoad/SufferFest or similar, don’t you? Also, why did you buy a smart trainer if you weren’t going to use the smart functions?

You will need some way of communicating the trainer data to your PC. If that has bluetooth I think you’re good.

GHill

A fan. Definitely a fan.

Software bit is up to you, but I reckon you’ll not see much benefit from twiddling away watching Netflix.

mashr

All the training platforms do free trials. Try em all and see which one works for you

Definitely a fan though

honourablegeorge

Cool…. do I need stuff liek cadence/speed sensors, or are those included?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

All cadence and speed data comes from the trainer.

All comes from the trainer.

As mentioned above it’s definitely worth looking at the training platforms. A smart trainer like the Kickr is designed to be controlled by an app or program like Zwift, Trainer Road etc, if you are not going to use that then there are cheaper trainers that can be bought without the “Smart” functionality.

Haze

HRM might be useful/interesting depending on what you’re looking to achieve and how far down the rabbit hole you’re prepared to go.

J-R

The Kickr will give the power output via Bluetooth to your PC, from which your training platform, like Zwift, will determine your speed and estimate your cadence.

Most people use an HR strap to because although it is not mandatory for the training platforms, it is something you will really want to know. That can talk to your PC by Bluetooth (which is easiest to link to a PC) or ANT (which probably needs a special USB plug in sensor and extension cable for your PC).

As others have said – get a fan.

honourablegeorge

Hmm… the Kickr Core I had in my basket is no longer reduced by 25% which has maybe put a stop to all this, my own fault for dithering

joebristol

The Kickr Core is great and the bulk of what you need.

I have a big fan setup in front of it, a Bluetooth heart rate monitor strap and an iPhone. That’s it for me. I use the Trainer road app to setup training plans and structure my turbo sessions.

TR is quite an intensive training focused app – it doesn’t have any pretty graphics, races or anything like that. It’s strap yourself in and focus on the instructions and beast yourself. I wear headphones and do sessions up to 1 hour 15.

If that sort of thing isn’t you there are other similar apps with different focus:

Zwift – has training plans but a big focus is on virtual racing. You probably want a bigger screen than a phone to make the most of it – something like a tv and Apple TV unit or a laptop work. Graphics are of you on a bike racing / riding but they’re relatively basic.

Rouvy- is much more beautiful to look at whilst riding – and focuses on real rides and interesting to watch.

There are also loads more – DC Rainmaker reviews a number of the most popular ones below.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/03/cycling-indoor-trainer-app-guide.html/amp

I found a great fan this year with a Bluetooth remote that goes on your handlebars. Means you can start when it’s cold with no fan and switch it on / control power as you heat up. Properly powerful too.

Vacmaster Cardio54® Fitness Fan

joebristol

If you want a free trial for a mo th of Trainerroad then you can use the following referral code (works once, I have 2 more I can provide if anyone else wants one):

https://www.trainerroad.com/?referral=YHDRW2R3

Superficial
    Free Member

Hmm… the Kickr Core I had in my basket is no longer reduced by 25% which has maybe put a stop to all this, my own fault for dithering

Where on earth were you seeing that? Sounds like a good deal. If it reappears, let us know.

DougD

Recently got a reconditioned Kickr Core direct from Wahoo, was £599 but when I went to check out it was only about £500 which I thought was pretty decent. Been really impressed with it. Definitely recommend getting a fan, even using it next to an open window I’m boiling. Have got Zwift on an iPad but got an HDMI/Lightning connector so I can view it on a larger computer monitor. Am liking Zwift so far, loads of rides available where you can join up with groups according to how far/fast you want to go, or you can following training programmes (not tried any yet though) or ride routes by yourself / with friends.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

A riser block/thick textbook to stop your bike pointing ever so slightly downhill.

snotrag

Zwift works great on Ipad if thats an option – much less faffage than a PC.

As for Zwift – its a must for me.

I’ve done turbo trainers before a few times over the years – bought the kit, looked at different training programs, got all excited about how ultra fit I’m gonna be…
    …And shortly after, decided that looking at a wall, mindlessly spinning a fixed cadence or output, is about as miserable as it gets.

Zwift ‘opens up’ turno training into somethig actually enjoyable. It gamifies it and makes it fun, and good looking. Entices you in, in the same way 12 year old boys are enticed with Fortnite Skins and FIFA 2022 – theres no shame in that.

Upgraded from wheel-on to Kickr Core this year and its brilliant. Quiet too, can ride in the kitchen with headphones on and 3 year old asleep upstairs.

joebristol

The Kickr Core is designed to not need a riser block. If you use one it tilts you back a bit – I’ve tried it.

luket

Got a similar deal on a recon Kickr Core last week. Just over £500 including a year’s subscription to wahoo’s service. So bookmarking the thread. I’ll start with just a laptop and a garmin watch I think. And some sort of mat to avoid soaking the carpet with sweat.

honourablegeorge

Oh – wahoo’s service? Is that needed in addition to zwift/etc?

hopkinsgm

Oh – wahoo’s service? Is that needed in addition to zwift/etc?

Wahoo Systm is basically an alternative to Zwift, Trainer Road, etc… There’s a roundup of training apps and compatibility here: https://uk.wahoofitness.com/media/downloads/KICKR_App_Comparison_Table.pdf
    See also the DCRainMaker grouptest/comparison thing mentioned by someone else above.

mogrim

Wahoo’s service is Systm (yeah, stupid name) which includes what used to be known as Sufferfest. It works fine on a PC, BTW – just install it and pair it to the trainer. Personally I prefer it to Zwift, YMMV. Like everyone else has said, make use of the trial period and give them all a spin.

slowoldman

It seems to me that whereas makers of smart trainers used to have their own (usually free) apps which could control the trainers, most if not all have given up on apps presumably on the basis that most users will shell out the subscription for Zwift, Rouvy, TrainerRoad, etc.

joat

Bluetooth /Ant+ dongle if your pc doesn’t have them inbuilt. A cheap one from amazon with extension lead will do. A bit of a plan would help you know how to train. I tend to pick a big event or riding holiday and train up to that. It depends on what you do for a living, but I find trying to stay on top form all year round impacts my physical job.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve recently been trying FulGaz and ROUVY, will move on to Zwift next. I’ve used Trainerroad and Sufferfest in the past

So far I’m really liking Rouvy

nickc

It depends what you want fro your indoor trainer/rollers. I mostly only use mine for week day HIIT, so I’m on the bike for 25-30 mins maximum and I know what I’ve got to do, I know it’s going to hurt so I put something on the telly (usually something dumb) from Netflix that I can watch cross-eyed while my HR comes down from mouse-rate to human-rate in between intervals.  When you’re just doing that, the paid for apps at £13-£15/month  don’t seem like good value.

DrP

If you really do’t want to pay for a subscrption training service (Zwift, Trainer road etc) then you COULD simply use a garmin headunit to control the turbo trainer.
    You add your own training programme to it, and then the garmin controls the trainer…

But, I reckon the £13 a month for zwift is WELL worth it.. really utilises the benefits of a fancy turbo

DrP

nickc

£160.00 a year so something I do only in winter and only for 20 mins at a time, it’s not worth it for me. But if you’re doing lots of turbo work all year round then taking into account the cost of setting up a decent turbo trainer, I guess that’s probs. different.

euain

Just seen this – I have a Kickr Core for sale. Brand new unopened reconditioned unit. Sells for about £600 from them, £450?

Mine packed in a few weeks ago at 2.5 years old. I bought a new Tacx as the wahoo was out of warranty. Thought I’d contact Wahoo to see how much to get it fixed and they replaced it with a new (refurbished) unit. It arrived a couple of days ago – still in its box.

I’ll put it up on the classifieds but shout if it’s of interest.

honourablegeorge

Thanks, but I’m in Ireland so the postage/tax hassle probably not worth it

oikeith

FAN!!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.