Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Kia ProCeed GT – anyone got one?
  • dirkpitt74

Looking at the ProCeed GT as the next family wagon – fancy petrol with a bit of go behind it.
    Anyone got one who can share their experience?
    Have read that the DCT isn’t the fastest most responsive gearbox – but I’m not expecting Audi like quality at this price point – but up to 7 year warranty on used is mightily impressive.
    Currently have a Hyundai so as long as the build quality is the same should be good.

matt_outandabout

I’ve recently test driven an Optima 1.6d and Ceed 1.4petrol Estate. Both on DCT auto gearboxes.
    Both were quicker than the Golf DSG I also tested when setting off, both seemed smooth and neat with changes. I had read that they weren’t ‘quick’, but was left wondering if journalists were expecting Nuburgring overtaking rather than slipping into a parking space or rolling down the b-road….
    FWIw, I’ve a toss up at present between big VAG group Octavia/Leon/Golf (more mpgs, more faster, less reliable, timing belts) Vs Ceed or I30 estate (less mpgs, slightly slower, timing chains, more reliable, prefer the seats)

dirkpitt74

Thanks @matt_outandabout appreciated.
    I had a Leon ST on test drive a while back – the manual petrol 150 FR – thought it was a really nice car, and the economy was brilliant – the fact that the engine runs on 2 cylinders when cruising is great.
    The last (and only) DSG I drove was a Scirocco around 11 years back.
    Hopefully booking a test drive in the Proceed for next week.

w00dster

Can’t really help too much, but I’ve had 2 Kia’s in the past (2012 Kia Estate Diesel). The 7 year warranty was amazing, absolutely no quibbles on the rare occasions when it was needed.
    Even items I thought may be out of the warranty agreement was sorted with o questions, this even included re-gassing the air con….that may have been my local garage being overly helpful, but honestly I found the warranty really useful.

flannol
    Free Member

Not adding much to the conversation but:

more reliable, prefer the seats

Matt surely this ends the debate!

matt_outandabout

Maybe! The issue being that the Octavia is just bigger, and mrs_oab likes the Leon (she has Ibiza already) and the Golf she always wanted!
    What I did find interesting is things like the Kia/Hyundai get more the of the basics right – seats, nicer stereo, easier controls (moar buttons), loadspace is flat etc.
    Also, finding a Ceed estate is tough – they sell in hours…

lunge

Not the Proceed but I’ve got a regular Ceed GT petrol with the auto box and love it. I’m not enough of a expert to comment on the speed of changes, but I can say it’s very smooth and basically does it’s job without any fuss or me really noticing it.

intheborders
    Free Member

My OH has a newish auto diesel Sportage, unsure if it’s the same box but it’s a decent one and comparable to my BMW in use.

pk13

CeedGt replaced the Skoda my wife had we drove both the new version of the Skoda and ceed.
    They sold the ceed we tested so they found us another at a vw dealership 3 year old and sent us over.
    Im a vw fanboy so tested the golf as well the ceed won hands down I will say it eats front tires all even wear tracking set up ect.
    Manual 6 speed petrol

patagonian
    Free Member

VAG group Octavia/Leon/Golf (more mpgs, more faster, less reliable, timing belts)

Larger engines have timing chains not belts

timba
    Free Member

No experience of the ProCeed, but we’ve had three Kias (still got two) from 62-plate to 20-plate, all three petrol, and the only downside has been that all three are thirsty.
    Kia’s quoted mpg bore no resemblance to our experience, but in every other respect I’d have another.

Pieface

Why do people get so hung up on VAG timing belts? Find a decent garage and its not an expensive job

footflaps

We’ve had one (wife works for Kia, so we’ve had just about every car they make). Very nice to drive, but I’m very much a ‘stick it on adaptive cruise control’ driver now. Used to be more of a petrol head / prat. I reckon the GT is faster than my old tuned V6 Golf (although I’ve not bothered looking up any details and couldn’t even tell you the engine size in the Kia, let alone what Gearbox it had). Seats are nice and it has a button to remember each driver’s seat position. I believe we’re getting a Sportage next and the ProCeed will appear on a dealer’s forecourt soon.

The ProCeeds also have a ‘Sport’ button which causes the digital dash to do a quick impression of the opening credits of 1980s Dr Who as it warps from ‘sedate’ mode to ‘Sport’ mode. Doesn’t actually seem to go any faster though, just sits one gear lower as far as I can tell and probably ruins your economy.

Larger engines have timing chains not belts

Seem to recall my 2.8l Golf was a chain – never needing changing IIRC, think I scrapped it at around 120k miles.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.
    How rubbish is the economy compared to the ‘official’ figures?

timba
    Free Member

Typical website here…but only 13 samples
    Two of the three that we own are similar to the real-world figures on that website. Can’t remember what the third returns, I don’t drive it that often
    See also Kia owners forum

matt_outandabout

Why do people get so hung up on VAG timing belts? Find a decent garage and its not an expensive job

Because it adds around 1p/mile to running costs. £500 at 50k or 5 yr interval.

dirkpitt74

Thanks for the link.
    Doesn’t look too horrendous on the mileage.

patagonian
    Free Member

But that applies to any car with a belt not just VW’s. Personally I avoid belts and always look for timing chains but I’m old school and they may be fine nowadays.

slowol

I expect it’s a much older engine but my 12 year old Ceed has done 36.1 mpg for the 9ish months I’ve had it (1.4 petrol).
    Due to being lazy the roof bars have been on full time.
    Mpg goes down to about 35 in winter with shortish commute of 10 mile 2 or 3 times a weeks and mix of short and medium journeys at weekends. Max was 39 mpg coming back from Cornwall with kids, 3 bikes on the tow bar rack, 1 on roof, roof box and camping kit. Yes it was very full but it got there and back.
    Very boring car in a good way, all works and is anonymous. Although I ‘inherited’ this one from my FiL as trade in offer was so low I’d consider buying another.
    For mpg contrast a colleague with a newer (3 or 4 year old) 1.4 golf gets about 50 mpg from a 1.4 petrol but I think it takes a bit of careful driving. I think the golf may have a turbo and has stop start which makes a big difference in traffic.

Pieface

£500 for a timing belt? £200 more like

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ask BMW /vauxhall/transit owners about the additional costs of their chains.

matt_outandabout

£500 for a timing belt? £200 more like

What back street garage does yours? Kit+pump alone is usually north of £12-150…

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m with him. I do my own timing belts and a quality kit with water pump.and tensioners (often I buy piece parts to get the OEM spec equivalent rather than what ever the kit maker could get to put in the box ) costs nearly as much as your paying for the whole job Inc labour.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I am looking for an estate too and the Proceed was in the list, I have two grown up kids (pretty tall) so rear seat space is a requirement. I read that in the Proceed, in order to have the same headroom as in the Ceed, the seat is lowered, so bear that in mind if you go for it.
    It’s one of the best looking estates IMO.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

yes, I have one. a 2019 1.4 Turbo petrol. Nice Car, had it around 12 months.
    Good Bits – looks nice, not too shabby performance wise, build quality is quite good. MPG for me is about 45, mixture of A roads/motorways. I’ve done 14k in those 12 months and not had any issues.
    I can get a MTB in the back with the seats down.
    Bad Bits – cabin is a bit “rattly”. there are known issues with the centre console which squeeks like a manic rat if you lean on it.
    tyre noise – it is a bit noisy but nothing major.
    I had the dealer fit a towbar, week away in North Wales for 3, bikes, kit etc was no issue.
    Just been serviced at the main stealer (to keep up the 7 year warranty) This was £260.00 for an annual service.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Kia ProCeed GT – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.