Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Kew Gardens tips
  • burko73

Thinking of a trip to Kew at some point over the next couple of months.

Got a 5 yr old and a 6 mth old.

Wife’s got a two for one offer from gardeners world. A mate of mine says that on street parking in Richmond is free on sundays.

Plan is to drive up from the new forest and park in Richmond with the aim of getting in for 10 when it opens on Sunday am.

Any tips for what to see/ do and what to do about lunch etc. Take a picnic/ eat in a cafe etc.

Prob make a beeline for the kids play area first as it looks like that may get busy.

Any tips welcome…

Northwind

There’s a lot to see, depends what you’re most into though as it’s massive and you’re not going to see most of it in one visit. The Temperate House that was just refurbed is still a bit raw/fresh and also they’re really busy, but they’re cool buildings, the Palm House and the Princess of Wales glasshouse are probably better just now.

I like big trees so for me it’s usually about that and the lakeside walks and that. (usually find peacocks near the redwood grove which is pretty cool) Treetop Walkway is great for kids, freaks me out though 🙂

I’d definitely take a picnic, tbh the cafes just aren’t that good, never mind price. Good for icecreams and that. I’d also take proper wild bird food, because there are canada geese and I like to live dangerously.

mrmo
    Free Member

I don’t know the Road names, but if you come over kew bridge and aim for Victoria gate most of the side roads opposite are ok on Sundays, if you’re early you can park on main Kew road.

Ambrose

The treetop walkway is wonderful!

TiRed

Pagoda is very special. As are the glass sculptures on exhibition at the moment. You really can’t go wrong. The princess of Wales greenhouse has some great fish and the palm house is always majestic.

Take a picnic as food is expensive. To make a day of it, have a meal before you leave for home with the kids. Richmond is very nice too, as is Kew. There’s a nice restaurant at Kew tube station.

I get free entry thanks to work.

burko73

Tired – who do you work for?

mogrim

Not going to repeat the Gardens tips above, all spot on. Apart from be nice to the volunteers, one of them is my Dad 🙂

There’s a decent Italian (Ask) on the Green if you do fancy eating out, it has a kids menu. Probably worth booking if you do decide to go:

https://www.askitalian.co.uk/restaurant/kew

The pubs on the Green are also nice for a pint, both the Coach and Horses and the Greyhound are good for eating too.

The walk down the tow path to Richmond might be a bit far for a 5 year old, but if he/she’s good at walking or you’ve got one of those buggy board things it’s worth doing. Lots of boats n birds to see on the way.

senorj

I haven’t been this year , but it’s one of my fave places in London.
    The kids play area was under construction when we were there last ,but we had lots of fun in the log obstacle course near the rabbit warren thingy that you get mucky knees crawling through! North of the Pagoda.
    The restoration of the hot houses is awesome – take as many layers off as possible before you go in! & prepare for whiny ,”I’m too hot” ,5 year old action! ha.
    There’s usually some kind of map to follow to keep them interested.
    I’d definitely advise some kind of picnic/snack preparation – the cafes are ok but run out of proper food later in the day (understandably).
    Your parking advice is sound – single yellows are fair game too.

TiRed

I work for GSK. We are corporate members/sponsors, being local, so it’s a nice perk to have. Lovely place.

And we’ve also eaten at the Ask on the green too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Kew Gardens tips’ is closed to new replies.