Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Kettlebells
  • singletracksurfer

Should I join the trend and get one?

Seen this one with a mahoosive discount http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodymax-3kg-Black-Vibrabell-Kettlebell/dp/B003SZAK72

Like the adjustable weight, but is the vibration thingy a waste of time – hence the massive discount?

Cheers

footflaps

I’d just get a proper set eg:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/kettlebells/strength-shop-kettlebell-classic.html

of if you’re feeling really strong:

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/kettlebells/strength-shop-kettlebell-beast.html

64kg one would be good for hip strength and less painful than doing hip thrusts under a 120kg barbell (which bruises the hell out of my hips)…

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

the weight is so low anyway it seems a bit pointless and I don’t think the vibration is going to do much if anything. as above, get a proper set if you want them.

footflaps

If you want to know how to use them properly google ‘Dan John Kettelbell’, he has some videos on youtube and writes some excellent books on training.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are a normal bloke 12kg will be good to start with, or 18 if that is to light. I have 12 and 24 which I use for different things, wish I had an 18 though. Pushing 24 up from the shoulder is hard!

Fantastic things to have in the home though, you can get a great all over workout, lose weight, and they take up no space.

patriotpro
    Free Member

3kg is too low a weight even to start with so I wouldn’t get sucked in by the vibration aspect of it.

singletracksurfer

Ah yes, that is very lightweight thinking about it. Doh. Thanks all.

Kuco

Thats is very low I was using a 4kg bell as part of my recovery after shoulder surgery.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Don’t buy any lighter than 12kg, waste of money unless you are a wuss!

molgrips
    Free Member

Dg last time this came up chastised me for doing squats with 24kg.. Look up goblet squats, that’s what I do, with elbows touching thighs.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Indeed I did. 😛 But we won’t go there again as it’ll end in showdown time 😉

Goblet squats are good, as are sumo ones.

footflaps

Single leg Bulgarian split squats are where it’s at. Can be done with barbell, dumbbell or kettlebell.

glupton1976
    Free Member

There is as usual a lot of pish spouted on this thread.

footflaps

There is as usual a lot of pish spouted on this thread.

Don’t be so hard on yourself ;-0

glupton1976
    Free Member

For example – what’s that bulgarian split squat going to do for you that a normal single leg squat wont?

footflaps

For example – what’s that bulgarian split squat going to do for you that a normal single leg squat wont?

7 Awesome Single Leg Squat Variations and Why You Should Be Doing Them

glupton1976
    Free Member

Have you read that link yourself? Whoever wrote it hasnt a clue what they’re talking about.

patriotpro
    Free Member

U pissed glupton?

glupton1976
    Free Member

No. You?

molgrips
    Free Member

I might try those single leg things.

bigdean

So whats the differance between dumbbells and kettlebells? Picked up a set of all metal weights from the tip for a fiver last week, they seem to do everything i need.

wrecker
    Free Member

My UKSCA qualified training buddy has us doing split squats and single leg squats. So I’m afraid that if anyone’s spouting pish mate, its you. Well, unless you’re a UKSCA qualified professional trainer with premiership rugby experience…….

molgrips
    Free Member

Kettlebells have their handles in a different place so you can swing them about a bit better.

crikey
    Free Member

I reckon you won’t. 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

My UKSCA qualified training buddy has us doing split squats and single leg squats. So I’m afraid that if anyone’s spouting pish mate, its you. Well, unless you’re a UKSCA qualified professional trainer with premiership rugby experience…….

I’m assuming that this is aimed at me.

UKSCA qualified – check,
    Premiership rugby experience – check,
    qualified physiotherapist working in elite sport – check.

Nae luck.

footflaps

Yep, that’s how I came across them, my coach has me doing them. Not that he knows much as Glupton, his previous job was only full time on the GB Olympic Boxing squad as a SCC.

wrecker
    Free Member

UKSCA qualified – check,
    Premiership rugby experience – check,
    qualified physiotherapist – check.

Who did you play for?
    I call BS

glupton1976
    Free Member

Never said that I played for anyone. I have plenty experience of working in S&C, and as a physio at premiership level though.

Jamie
    Free Member

I reckon you won’t.

😀

wrecker
    Free Member

So you were a physio for a prem team, not a SCC?
    More soft tissue massage than training and diet plans then?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Balance. In this context, balance takes on two different meanings. First, in the most literal sense, you have to balance on one leg. This may seem obvious, but its importance cannot be understated since balance is essential in virtually any sport. Moreover, the simple act of balancing will work the small stabilizing muscles like glute medius that are not activated as much during bilateral leg work. Secondly, in any single leg variation, you also develop balance between legs. Single leg work will make it abundantly clear if one leg is stronger than the other and allow you to address any disparities and even them out, which will not only improve performance but also help to prevent injuries.

This is from footflap’s link above that is talking about the Bulgarian Split Squat. It’s not a single leg exercise – the non-standing leg is on the bench – that will supply loads of balance and support. Want to make that harder – take the foot off the bench and call it a single leg squat. Want to work the stabilising muscles more – do side planks.

More soft tissue massage than training and diet plans then?

I dont do soft tissue massage. I do player profiling, injury prevention training and injury rehab.

wrecker
    Free Member

Why not do all? Seems to me that far more experienced, qualified and knowledgable people than glupton recommend this exercise. That’s good enough for me, and it should be for everyone else.

crikey
    Free Member

Glupton1976 who is a physio vs people who have an acquaintance with people who work as ‘professional trainers’?

My money is on the G.

Jamie
    Free Member

My money is on the G.

Plus he can teach you how to parallel park.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Exercises should be as simple as possible. Anyone that tries to put you into weird and wonderful shapes is trying to make it look complex so that you think you need to purchase their services.

Take stretching for example – hundreds of stretches for each and every single muscle in the body. All you really need to be able to do is get one end of the thing as far away from the other end of it as possible. There is no voodoo.

Earl
    Free Member

glu – your last post is the most sensible thing i’ve heard in a very long time.

_tom_
    Free Member

So whats the differance between dumbbells and kettlebells? Picked up a set of all metal weights from the tip for a fiver last week, they seem to do everything i need.

I’m interested as well. I’ve been following a dumbell workout for a couple of months now and it’s going ok but wondering whether kettlebells would be better, or are they just the “in thing” at the minute?

glupton1976
    Free Member

or are they just the “in thing” at the minute?

Pretty much.

molgrips
    Free Member

They are a little different, probably slightly easier to do certain dynamic movements. Easier to store in your home too I reckon 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Kettlebells’ is closed to new replies.