• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by jameso.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kettlebell for bike core stability and general conditioning
  • jameso

Anyone use one and finding particular routines or techniques beneficial for riding?

Got one as I need to stretch and work on core and back stability these days. Main issue is in the last 12-18 months my lower back and hips are feeling a building tension/strain when climbing seated. Usual weekday desk jockey problem.

Swings seem to be good for the lower back. One-arm lifts leant forward with an arm bend to pull it up into the chest seem to work the muscles used to climb out of the saddle. I got a download of basic exercises from https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/ It’s a useful site.

Hard work aren’t they? I’m suprised by how high my HR goes just doing a few mins of swings (prob no suprise since I generally avoid the gym or anything indoors like this)

deft
    Free Member

Instagram is good for free KB stuff. I’ve been doing this with a few variations recently (albeit in a cold damp garage, not outside in Florida):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmPBKTzuuwU/

The row is a burner even without the band

clubby

Use them in the gym for swings and for one sided weighting during box step ups.
    Also do round the worlds. Great for core strength and the shoulders at the same time.
    Only problem in using them at home is you will need a few of differing weights, which can get expensive quickly. That said, wait a month and Gumtree/Facebay will probably be full of barely used ones.

deft
    Free Member

Argos cast iron ones are really good, a few of them are half price at the mo

jameso

Good stuff, Argos cast iron kB at half price is what I got. Only one for now for the basics and core work.

superfli
    Free Member

I would add single arm deadlifts and thrusters into your workout. Both will provide good use of the core to build stability, and not isolate any muscle groups. Kettlbells are great bits of kit and so versatile.

dovebiker

Decathlon ones are reasonably priced – I have a couple of 8kg and 12kg ones. TBF they spend most of their time stopping the garden gates from getting blown in the wind 🤣. Lots of YouTube videos, particularly getting your swing technique right so you engage all the right muscles and do the pelvic tilt.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Asymmetric loaded carries, suitcase deadlifts, staggered stance deadlifts and Turkish get-ups are all excellent for stability training with a kettle bell. Just try to make sure you are moving well through your hips first ie learn how to hip hinge well as a movement pattern, not just stretching out the hips, otherwise you’ll struggle with deadlifts or squats.

northernsoul

Amazon basics are also ok, as are Wolverson (and they often have sales or offers for new customers). They’re also useful props for other things, such as press ups (if you have 2 that are heavy enough). I do find that you need a range of weights though – much heavier for swings vs Turkish get-up, for example. For any new exercise I’ve always picked what I thought would be a good weight, then taken a few kg off that and built from there.

uberscott

+1 for Wolverson – I’d recommend the ‘competition’ sized bells rather than the cast ones. The competition bells are all the same size regardless of weight. Helps when learning the basics to have each bell the same size so wrist/shoulder angles etc remain consistent.

Swings and Turkish Get Ups are two of the most effective kettlebell movements out there, but they are complex movements to get right and therefore get the most benefit from. I’d strongly recommend getting a coach to teach you the basics – as mulv1976 says mobility is key and getting coaching through that and also the basic movements will pay dividends.

I’ve been training with kettlebells for 10 years or so and find them excellent for developing/maintaining not only core stability & strength, but also explosive power – all of which have direct carry over into our riding.

jameso

Just try to make sure you are moving well through your hips first ie learn how to hip hinge well as a movement pattern, not just stretching out the hips, otherwise you’ll struggle with deadlifts or squats.

I’d strongly recommend getting a coach to teach you the basics – as mulv1976 says mobility is key and getting coaching through that and also the basic movements will pay dividends.

I watched a couple of videos for the basic swing technique inc the one on kettlebellworkouts.com, still working on the motion generally rather than going into smashing circuits. Might see if there is a class locally.

Tried a Turkish Get-up (ha, of sorts) and think the 16kg weight I bought for swings might be a bit much there. Either that or I’m weak. If my main focus is a stable core does it work to do less reps and stick at the heavier weight for now, build up to being able to do it in control+stability?

uberscott

With the Turkish, for most people it works best to start with no weight at all and focus on getting the movement right. Some folks then try it balancing a shoe on the closed fist of their ‘kettlebell’ hand, just to focus on keeping that hand vertical – the tendency is to collapse forwards, especially during those transitions from sitting to standing. It’s just a drill to teach good movement but it works well.

The kettlebellworkouts.com coach is a Strongfirst certified instructor – there are a good number of those in the UK too, check out here: https://www.strongfirst.com/beginners-start-here/

The best answer I can give to your question is it should be as heavy as you can lift with good form and maintain good abdominal tension throughout the lift. For building strength, five reps per set is a popular pattern to follow.

jameso

also explosive power

That’s good to know. My bunnyhops have gone downhill since I stopped going climbing and it’s both lower back issues and a lack climbing efforts that helped with fast, strong effort like that

The best answer I can give to your question is it should be as heavy as you can lift with good form and maintain good abdominal tension throughout the lift. For building strength, five reps per set is a popular pattern to follow.

Maybe I’ll start with a shoe and move onto a brick : ) I bought an 8kg KB from Aldi the other week, £9. Took it back to get something heavier from Argos. Maybe I should have kept it for this.

tomlevell

I’d be very wary of a lot of the stuff on IG etc. If it looks like it might hurt you it probably will. The actual reputable KB coaches will tell you to avoid stuff.

Dan John has a lot of stuff on KB use and plenty of videos and podcast as well as a paid for thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/dj84123

paton
    Free Member
    jameso

I’d be very wary of a lot of the stuff on IG etc. If it looks like it might hurt you it probably will. The actual reputable KB coaches will tell you to avoid stuff.

Yeah it’s partly a lower back issue so I’m being cautious anyway, not trying to turn into some gate-snapping BMX racer. Just enough weight for resistance for basic moves alongside stretching and a foam roller.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.