Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Kettlebell – advice for a complete beginner
  • rossrobot
    Free Member

Friend of mine recently got hooked by kettlebell training. Raves about the simplicity and mix of toning and CV workout it gives. Have done a fair bit of reading and watched a load of videos and fancy giving it a go.

Looking for tips/advice from others on here that do it. Have seen a few threads talking about kettlebell weight; I think i’ll start at the lighter end – I’m 6′ 4”, fairly fit but very slim and not very strong.

Anyone started purely from a few videos, without first going to a gym/class?
    Anyone tried it and hated it?
    What’s the typical length of a workout and how often do you do it?
    Anyone damaged themselves by throwing themselves into it too quickly?

Thanks in advance.

mactheknife

I first started by going to a class but I found it pretty poor to be honest but that was down to the instructor. I then went to another and it was amazing, apart from the obvious exercises posture and form were taught along with their importance.

I then bought The Ultimate Kettlebell Workout by Randolph. It has different workout routines along with many pages of well explained and photographed explanations. I just workout in the house now with a 16 and 12 Kg bell.

Woody
    Free Member

I have the Ryan Shanahan dvd set (advertised ad nauseum on shopping channels) and it is very very good.

I use a 5kg and 12kg kettlebell which sounds light but isn’t with some of the exercises. Workouts are circa 20 minutes initially, well thought out to work different muscle groups and DVD’s for specific areas if you want to go that way.

I’m about to start the basic 6 week initial course again, having lapsed badly over Christmas.

If you are starting from scratch I would highly recommend it as each workout starts with a warm up and ends with a warm down with full instruction in between.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Waste of time and has a fairly fairly high probablility of injury do using them.

If you want to get toned reduce body fat if you want to put on muscle then lift proper free weights and stick to compound excercises.

Woody
    Free Member

Waste of time and has a fairly fairly high probablility of injury do using them.

Really?

What are your reasons/experiences for saying that?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I now do a KB workout twice a week. Love it. Its really hard work (using 12kg and 24kgs KBs). My introduction to it was with a personal trainer to ensure i had decent technique so i didn’t get injured. My workout with them was set by the PT with specific aims/targets in mind, its kinda like intervals as i work hard for about 2mins 15sec, with a 1 min break. I’m properly out of breath and sweating by the end of a set.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“stick to compound excercises”

I think youll find that most Kettlebell exercises ARE compound….

Jamie
    Free Member

Interesting…

If you want to get toned reduce body fat if you want to put on muscle then lift proper free weights and stick to compound excercises.

Lol…whut?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

stevewhyte – care to explain?

allthepies
    Free Member

So these things are the latest trendy “must do” workout gimmick* then ?

* yes, they’ve been around for ages.

Kryton57

Been using then for 2 years now, during off seasons to strengthen my core. I use a combination of 12kg’s (for KB pyramid – 20 swings, 10 pressups, 20 swings, 9 pressups etc) and 16kgs for strength (12, presses, 12 lifts, lunges etc.)

Its good to get a DVD to observe the correct form as thats important, but lifting KB’s over a short burst of exercise will tone you (they increase your metabolic rate and workout all the core and supporting muscle as they are an “unsupported” weight), lose weight again through effort, and through the longer lasting 24-48 period that your muscles are using fuel to “fix” themselves.

Like all exercise its important to eat and hydrate properly to support your efforts to maximse the benefit.

Also, I paid £75 for 3 KB’s 2 years ago, and can workout at home any time I wish performing a workout for any muscle group – compare that gym membership….

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

(for KB pyramid – 20 swings, 10 pressups, 20 swings, 9 pressups etc) and 16kgs for strength (12, presses, 12 lifts, lunges etc.)

I like the sound of that! Do you use the KBs for press ups? I’ve been using the trx straps for press ups and alternating them with normal press ups into a twist/side plank (wish i knew what it was called!) and looking to keep on challenging myself during my work outs. Did you make up your own pyramid or is it from a dvd?

This is also an interesting blog

thomthumb
    Free Member

Anyone started purely from a few videos, without first going to a gym/class?

yes. just watched loads of you tube. bought a 10kg as i was recovering from a back injury. moved to a 20kg now but could do with a medium one 12kg maybe to replace the 10 with.

do swings with the 20, clean and press and turkish gets ups with the 10.

a book/ dvd/ set workout would be a good idea – i often think i would get better use if i had a better idea what to do.

molgrips
    Free Member

proper free weights

Why are some weights ‘proper’ and others not?

rossrobot
    Free Member

Thanks everybody – lots to think about.

Kryton57

dirtygirlonabike – Member

(for KB pyramid – 20 swings, 10 pressups, 20 swings, 9 pressups etc) and 16kgs for strength (12, presses, 12 lifts, lunges etc.)

I like the sound of that! Do you use the KBs for press ups? I’ve been using the trx straps for press ups and alternating them with normal press ups into a twist/side plank (wish i knew what it was called!) and looking to keep on challenging myself during my work outs. Did you make up your own pyramid or is it from a dvd?

No, the pyramid was in Menshealth a few months back. The rest I scoured the internet for. I’ve done pressups using raised hand grips but not with the KB’s.

spando
    Free Member

Just kinda swing it about till you pop a hernia that’s my take on it 😛

matt22
    Free Member

Steve whyte this is a classic free weight and its hard not to do a compound move with them, ive yet to see a kettleball isolation machine

stevewhyte
    Free Member

My issue is potental for injury swinging weights about.

They are a fad and a poor substitute for decent weight training, barbell and using own bodyweight.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

They are a fad and a poor substitute for decent weight training, barbell and using own bodyweight.

Kettlebells have been around for years. Roughly 200 yrs IIRC.

The only problem with swinging weights about is incorrect technique. Doesnt the same apply to using free-weights?…

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Im sure they have been around a lot longer than that, is been a bit of a fad over the past 5 year in this country.

At least a bar bell is balanced.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I thought one of the key benefits of the KB is that it isn’t balanced?

molgrips
    Free Member

Why?

Swinging it about feels great for me – uses loads of core muscles in a nice real world kind of way. I’ve never got anything satisfying out of machines or dumbbells.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

A KB workout will engage your core-muscles far more effectively than a bar-bell would because its unbalanced, thats why they are so effective..

philconsequence
    Free Member

Swinging it about feels great for me

😆

thomthumb
    Free Member

poor substitute for decent weight training, barbell and using own bodyweight.

why do you think this?

Woody
    Free Member

Interesting there has only been one -ve poster on the whole thread.

Did you drop one on your toe at some point Mr Whyte?

yoshimi

In defense of Stevewhyte – I dont think just getting one, looking at pic in a book and starting to swing is a good idea…..I used to swing until someone in the know was watching and explained that you’re not actually swinging it but thrusting with your legs / hips and the kettlebell swinging is just the rsult of doing that…….that make sense?
    Anyway, what I’m saying is correct technique needs to be klearn….I’m off home and cvant be bothered correcting mistakes 🙂

spando
    Free Member

It requires proper technique to be effective, otherwise injury is just round the corner. I was pulled up in my gym by a very enthusiastic coach, I appreciated his input. He recons kettle is great for triathlon as it strengthens core and can encourage a stronger running posture. It also develops explosive strength and control, great for MTB.
    Happy, Safe training, seek advice from a coach. 😀

Kryton57

It does require proper technique, and Stevewhyte, if you use barbells you should know that its a piece of isolation equipment.

I think what you have wrong is this – no one is suggesting KB’s is the best type of freeweight for body building aka mass and size. In fact is isnt, its on of the most effective ways of building core strength and lean muscle, at the same time utilising the swinging technique amongst others to add cardio. The very act that is unbalanced means that you are working more core/surrounding stabalisation muscles than barbells on every move, which also results on greater energy/fat burn.

Try to clean ‘n jerk some ‘bells – ooer Mrs! – or perorm a Turkish Get Up next to your barbell and then let us know which one feels like its working one muscle or not. You need to consider that swinging is not the only exercise KB’s are used for….

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Kettlebell – advice for a complete beginner’ is closed to new replies.