Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Kettle bell swings and now hamstring are killing me!
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I do planks and press ups quite frequently to help with core strength, but on Wednesday I had a session with a PT and he got me doing kettle bell swings as he said they are great for glutes and a great many other muscles that are used when cycling. All in an attempt to build a really strong core.

I did 3 * 15 reps with a 16Kg weight, and on the last rep it started feeling tough near the end.

Cut a long story short my glutes and hamstrings ached a tad on Thursday, but my hamstrings are still really tender and it’s uncomfortable to walk. I tried rolling them out on my foam roller, but it’s bloody agony.

Anyone else had the same experience, and if so what is the best way of proceeding so you are ready for the next gym session?

wrecker
    Free Member

Just stretch. I started out the same and now do 100 at 24kg (followed by 100 snatches). It’s not willy waving; I’m nothing special at all. It honestly doesn’t take long

flanagaj
    Free Member

I do stretch the hamstrings after cycling and they never feel like they do now. I must admit that after the session I did not stretch them. Maybe that was the failure.

Trekster

First session ?
    Too much, too soon.?
    Was doing 1/2hr sessions early last year before the tutor moved to another venue. Had never done weights of any kind before but have a physical job which includes lots of stairs carrying a tool bag. Having dodgy knees, back and other aches’n pains which I made tutor aware of we worked out what weights I should use, usually lighter than others but no way would she allow anyone to use a weight she thought was inappropriate

wrecker
    Free Member

I’d say it’s doing exactly what it should and that your trainer is doing a very good job. Even as cyclists, we can have a weak posterior chain.

stumpy01

Your hamstrings don’t get much action when cycling, so understandable that they are feeling it.

I’m currently trying to strengthen my hamstrings and glutes to even out my leg strength a bit…

yunki
    Free Member

just stretch

edward2000
    Free Member

Sounds like DOMS. Delayed onsetuscle soreness. Kettlebells are great I’ve recently got into them. Try doing one handed swings as a progression. Bikejames.com has a free training plan on kettlebells. There are also many vids on YouTube.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Next time around, I might suggest to the PT we cut the reps down. I am definitely going to stick with them as I could feel that they were certainly working the muscle groups that you need to have strong if you are going to spend hours in the saddle.

As a cyclist I thought that my hamstrings would be strong, but on reflection cycling is very quad dominant

chamley
    Free Member

Yep it’s just DOMS, day two is usually the killer with legs. Generally worst after the first decent session of a new exercise, you’ll be fine next time

wrecker
    Free Member

you’ll be fine next time

😀

footflaps

Even as cyclists, we can have a weak posterior chain.

What do you mean by ‘Even as’? Cycling is pretty rubbish for core strength full stop.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Next time around, I might suggest to the PT we cut the reps down.

So you’re paying someone who knows less that you about exercise to train you – bizarre.

Cyclisng is good for glutes and hamstrings if you do it properly.

wrecker
    Free Member

What do you mean by ‘Even as’? Cycling is pretty rubbish for core strength full stop.

Well, I mean that (as the OP demonstrated), most cyclists just think we have strong legs which isn’t necessarily the truth. You’d imagine that we also have strong gluteals which again isn’t normally the case.
    “core” isn’t the same as posterior chain.

footflaps

So you’re paying someone who knows less that you about exercise to train you – bizarre.

Not at all, a PT will never know more than you about how your own body is coping!

I’m always suggesting changes to my program / sessions based on how I feel / how things are going. Your program is a joint project, the PT can suggest exercises etc but you refine them based on how you’re doing, feeling, what you want to target etc.

footflaps

You’d imagine that we also have strong gluteals which again isn’t normally the case.

I’d say weak glutes and poor glute activation is common amongst cyclists.

As for posterior chain, nothing in cycling taxes them at all, so they’ll be weak as anything.

It’s a pretty rubbish sport for general conditioning.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Not at all, a PT will never know more than you about your own body is coping!

Rubbish.

footflaps

Rubbish.

I admire your blind faith in telepathy!

wrecker
    Free Member

As for posterior chain, nothing in cycling taxes them at all, so they’ll be weak as anything.

Yet as the OP demonstrated;

As a cyclist I thought that my hamstrings would be strong

This isn’t common knowledge.

jf2115
    Free Member

I have never had more pain in hamstrings than after KB training. Could barely walk the first time.

Lots of stretching I think. Maybe consider a foam roller if you have not got one.

Have a look on youtube for the Russian Kettlebell Challenge videos. That guy is expert

footflaps

I suspect the pain in the hamstrings comes from over compensating for lack of Glute activation. A kettle bell swing should come from the Glutes (biggest muscle in the body and the main hinge driver).

You could adjust your warm up to have more Glute activation exercises, read this article: http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/4-simple-exercises-to-get-your-glutes-fired-up

NB I use these in every warm up as a ex-cylist turned Olympic lifter, it’s my main weakness….

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s DOMS plain and simple. Simple protein and carb drink within 30 mins of the end and stretching. If its really bad the ibuprofen will help until you muscles become a bit more trained.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Over trained and micro tears.

You’ll be ok in a week if it’s severe.

I did 30kg lunges and then the next day I was walking like C3PO for a week.

Don’t stretch till you heal up!

tmb467
    Free Member

Had the same issue when I first started KBs

It’s when you’ve gone beyond what your glutes / hips can handle and then your hams and lower back take over

Try doing some monster walks beforehand to fire up the external rotators and glutes

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Anyone else had the same experience, and if so what is the best way of proceeding so you are ready for the next gym session?

Yes.

and

Rest.

Clobber
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger +1

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Squatting too deep and not enough hip flex it sounds like to me but your PT should spot this.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’m not sure what you’re paying your PT for if you need to ask this on here?

Surely you should be asking them?

If you don’t have trust in them there’s no point seeing them.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’m not sure what you’re paying your PT for if you need to ask this on here?

I’m going out on a limb here, but I reckon he’s not seeing the PT until the next gym session.

northerntom
    Free Member

I train with a PT, and get pushed pretty hard, but he knows a damn sight more than I do, and that’s what I pay him for.

Whilst not wanting to sound harsh, grow a pair and get on with it. If you want to get fitter, stronger and quicker, it’s going to hurt sometimes, but you can make improvements pretty quickly.

If it continues to hurt then speak to your PT and work mroe on how to strengthen any areas that are hurting.

patriotpro
    Free Member

You really should have put this to your ‘PT’ however AFAIK cycling effectively shortens your hams…

Other advice would be to warm up on the rower, making sure you fully stretch out on each row then on your KB swings, make sure you fully lock out your legs and get deep on your way down.

Have you tried ‘figure of eight’ curls? Racked squats, goblet squats?

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Active recovery would be my advice, gentle bike ride/run followed by gentle stretching.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Kettle bell swings and now hamstring are killing me!’ is closed to new replies.