Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Kettle BBQs. Are Webers the only choice? Anyone got a Landmann Black Pearl?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

Looking for a charcoal kettle BBQ and Weber seems the obvious choice. Have seen the Landmann Black Pearl which looks quite good but I’m unsure whether it’s as good quality as the Weber ones? Anyone have any ideas ?

slackman99
    Free Member

It won’t be as good quality as Weber, but I had a Landmann a little while ago, and to be fair, it was pretty damn good. Far better than the tat B&Q sell.

It all depends how much you will use it. Once or twice a week, then spend the extra on the Weber. Once a month, then get the Landmann (although would be better if you can get to see both in the flesh).

(Just my 2p worth)

Frankers
    Free Member

…… Just buy a Webber

paulmgreen
    Free Member

^^^^. Agree!

davosaurusrex

Dunno, I’ve got a Weber kettle and the paint is peeling off the inside of the lid, the legs are poorly designed interference fit so one falls out every time you try and move it. Bit overated IMO, no idea about the alternatives though.

bigrich

http://www.kamadojoe.com/index.php

webers are for little girls and tourists.

mrl

Agree that webber is a bit exoensive for the quality. I brought one online as my folks had a 20+ year old one. Very different to the new ones! New one has wobbly legs and is very thin metal compared to old ones. Cooks well though.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Buy a cheap one for this summer. Webers are great but very expensive. Wrong time of year to be buying one IME

I bought 2 webers last year, small one for the caravan and larger one for the garden, both lovely, both of really nice quality, both half price in Argos towards the end of last summer.

Get a BBQ starter chimney too, they’re great.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

I bought a blooma kinley on Saturday for a big BBQ we were hosting last night, I have to say I am chuffed to bits with it, aside from the lengthy build process it performed great and looks good to IMO. Oh and it has a built in bin that we filled with ice and beers, the ice stayed icy all night thanks to the heat sheild from the BBQ side!! Never been much of a BBQ conosouir but this seems good quality and reasonable price!

trevron73
    Free Member

Ive Just got a JOSPER for work, it scares the sh*t out of me ,cook the meat in a water bath for 5 hours then 12 mins in the josper rest and serve ? expensive but when only the best will do ?

Clobber
    Free Member

Never bought into the Weber hype until I tried one… No going back to anything cheaper ever

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I have a weber (57cm one touch) after going through a gas bbq and a cheaper kettle which rusted out after 3 years outside yeah they apear expensive but they last and you can get replacement bits.
    The legs do drop out which is a pain but easy to fix but it works great you can grill as normal but is best when set up for indirect cooking/smoking.
    What I have cooked and found to be great are

beer can butt chicken

spatchcock chicken

ribs

pulled pork

currently on the grill is 4lb of pork which has been on since 8 this morning using the snake method of charcoal

If you want to get the most out of the BBQ a digital temp probe is a must I use a 2 probe unit so the temp of the oven can be monitored as well as the temp of the meat, overkill ? no it takes out all the guess work.

dingabell
    Free Member

I’ve just looked at the Blooma Kinley and it does look good, but the majority seem to be saying Weber no contest. Will do a bit more shopping around but it’s looking like a Weber will win the day. Gotta say Mikeypies that those recipes do sound good.Trouble is, as soon as I buy a new BBQ it’s guaranteed to rain for the entire summer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just lit my Weber.

8)

Drac

I use a B&Q special bought at the end of season about 9 years ago, was less than half price at about £45. Still going strong and works very well indeed.

alfabus
    Free Member

Just had a street barbecue with my Weber 57cm – it has been sat in my garden for 8 years now with regular use and no maintenance – still in pretty damn good condition – the ash vent handle is a bit stiff, but all the paint is perfect 🙂

Dave

edit: forgot to mention that part of that regular use has included doing big roast dinners, including my 14lb christmas turkey! 😀

TiRed

me too. My advice is not to buy the big one, get the medium one with all the features. Mine needs too much charcoal for a quick and fast BBQ. Wish I’d bought the smaller one.

And get a black one. As it won’t show the soot!

Frankers
    Free Member

davosaurusrex – Member
    Dunno, I’ve got a Weber kettle and the paint is peeling off the inside of the lid

Is it definitely paint peeling? Normally the enamel they use doesn’t peel

Mine has a thick layer of grease on the inside lid that is peeling

Mikeypies
    Free Member

UPDATE

just had the pulled pork 9 hours on the BBQ, nom nom enough for pack lunches for awhile, Other kettle BBQs are probably as good to be honest just dont get hung up on the gadgets all you need is a digital thermometer and some basic tools.

this site is V good tbh

http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

the weber book is also good lots of recipies and explains the techniques

or get down to Grillfest music beer and BBQ what more does a man need.

dont get the small one as for indirect cooking it will reduce what you can cook, if you want to grill just get some fire bricks to push the coals together or if you want to sear steak raise the lower grate up on bricks so the heat is super intense.

^^^ as above it isnt the paint as it is enameled but it is the carbon for the smoke, the experts say to never close the top vents down when cooking.

Selled
    Free Member

Fire bricks – great tip, will definitely try this. But why do the experts state that the upper vents should not be closed?

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I remember something about creosote build up from the smoke, I have tried with the top half closed and then using the bottom vent to regulate the temp,the big boys say to ignore the built in temp gauge as they are so inaccurate.

I purchased the Heston twin probe digital thermometer (made by Salter) from ARGOS for £15 delivered it only measures up to 130degreesC but has an alarm for when the meat reaches temp or if the “oven” goes over temp.

The 9 hour cook used about 3-4 kilos of brickets whick is about £2/3 which is cheap

edhornby

unless you cook for 4+ hungry people regularly, get a small one, the webers are big and you end up shovelling a lot of charcoal onto it – but they are good

Frankers
    Free Member

This is the peeling on the inside lid of my Webber

It’s not paint

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Weber user here and can’t fault it. Just bought a Weber Chimney Starter and I now realize I should have done this years ago! They light your coals so quickly and without any firelighters, just 2 sheets of newspaper and one match. Lit enough coal to cook with within 20 min.

dantsw13

Had my weber over 18 years!! I used to fly Hercules in the RAF, and we all got them dirt chep on USAF bases.

I have the chimney starter too – love it, but I did melt a hole in the village school playground a while back cooking for the school fete!!!

kjcc25
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that the peeling in the lid is quite normal.
    I’ve had a Weber Kettle for going on 10 years and have been really pleased with it. I also have the Weber gas BBQ for taking away camping. If you want the best bargains buy in the USA in September they virtually give them away!
    Cost of the flight eats into what you save though.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Big Green Egg

Bit pricy, mind…

Clobber
    Free Member

Definitely don’t get the small one, as said above you need the room for indirect cooking and you can easily chuck coals just in one side. I know several people who have bought the small one and regretted it.

dingabell
    Free Member

57 incher it is then. (ooh err missus).

dingabell
    Free Member

That should read cm’s. A 4ft 9ins BBQ might be as little too large even for a glutton like me!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Kettle BBQs. Are Webers the only choice? Anyone got a Landmann Black Pearl?’ is closed to new replies.