Ketogenic diet blog

Home Forum Chat Forum Ketogenic diet blog

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 74 total)
  • Ketogenic diet blog
  • Premier Icon trailertrash
    Subscriber

Hello

I’ve started a blog about my experiences with the ketogenic diet, covering (so far) background, preparation and being on the diet for a month.

I hope people find it interesting and useful.

Introduction

Cheers

Tim

Cletus

Interesting stuff but would not work for me as I often stay in hotels and so would find it hard to do a fat based diet.

I am using My Fitness Pal to count calories which has worked ok for me in the past.

I was interested that you mentioned you swim for exercise and specifically fat loss. Is that a personal preference or do you find it more effective than jogging/cycling/gym etc.

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Subscriber

Does it not make your breath stink?

Gary_M

Day 1-3
    Feel a bit flu-ey. I also feel a bit more wired than usual during this time (I drink quite a lot of coffee as normal). I have a flushed face and feel tired. I find it hard to concentrate. I feel emotional. I am losing a lot of weight very fast (1kg/day) and pissing like a racehorse so this is probably dumping of body water associated with the low carbohydrate intake. This is feeling quite serious. Ketostix still showing no sign of ketosis. Feel a bit hungry but not in a stomach-growling way.

Interesting that you experienced issues straight away. I was away from the family for a few days and thought I would go carb free so see what happened (my son is type 1 diabetic so just wanted to see if I could replicate the issues he had with ketones). I was away from the Monday and came back on the Friday, so zero carbs from Monday evening to Friday evening, no alcohol and no caffeine. I was doing manual work – decorating a flat and some other stuff and went for a walk in the evening for at least 30 minutes.

I had a headache but that was probably caffeine withdrawal, other than that I felt fine. I lost about 3 kilos, I felt fit and healthy, piss was a bit frothy from keytones, but other than that no negatives.

timb34

For a moment I thought you might be me!

I’ve been trying this out for a few weeks and had similar experiences with respect to the first three days of epic urination and only traces on the sticks. I’m primarily doing it for energy levels, but wouldn’t say no to a couple of extra climbing grades.

I seem to have dropped a couple of kilos, but climbing strength, power and endurance don’t seem to have declined. I haven’t tried any project-grade routes yet, but onsighting and bouldering comp performance is probably near my best level – impressive as I’ve not been doing enough training to normally justify this. Heartrate seems to ramp up quickly unless I’m properly warmed up though. That’s a bit weird.

A couple of other things:

I’ve been looking at the recipes on ruled.me – all of them look great but seem to include artificial sweetener, almond flour and a few other difficult to find products so I haven’t tried anything yet, except Bulletproof coffee, which is better tasting than I expected. Might try out cauliflour rice to go with curry.

I’ll be very surprised if you get the kind of linear grade increase you’re planning for. My previous experience is that weight loss can give an extra grade or two, but beyond that I need to make gains in technique, power and endurance (in that order).

Macadamia nuts are 74% fat and Lindt 99% chocolate is acceptably low in glucides. Yeah.

The Trainingbeta podcast is pretty good on keto for climbers – there are three that cover the subject: the first where Neely describes her own bad experiecen and concludes that climbers need carbs, but then the second and third (Dave MacCleod and Neil Gresham respectively) balance that out.

I seem to have ups and downs of weight and Ketone traces related to carb consumption (not a surprise) and the amount of cardio-type exercise I do. Still working this out.

mrsfry

Following you on WP. Gosh you must have a heck of a lot of willpower

ITT: Someone will tell you just to eat less and move more.

Premier Icon trailertrash
    Subscriber

@cletus

I was interested that you mentioned you swim for exercise and specifically fat loss. Is that a personal preference or do you find it more effective than jogging/cycling/gym etc.

I like swimming because it’s low impact. Avoiding injury is a major priority for me. Also all my running and gym stuff has been in store as we’ve been having our attic converted. Now that’s done I expect I will diversify. Swimming is quite dull.

Subscriber

@timb34

Heartrate seems to ramp up quickly unless I’m properly warmed up though. That’s a bit weird.

Yes, I got that as well. It’s settled down now.

Go vegan, much better for you and once you read The China Study and other plant based food information you’ll feel like a mug for being on a keto diet. Keto diets are hopeless for anyone doing endurance activity, even riding a bike for a couple of hours. I hope you enjoy leg cramps 😈

…and this is the problem with nutrition. Everyone thinks the other guy is wrong, and really wants to let them know.

@ bomber – you do know the China Study is far from watertight, right? I think the bloke behind it had Ancell Keys as a hero and took the same slapdash approach to evidence to make things fit with his theory. That said, eating lots of veg is always going to be a good thing.

Ketogenic diets are proven and effective – they are especially good for people with migraine, epilepsy or other head related conditions because of the way they encourage stable blood sugars in a way that other diets (and especially veg based) do not.

Ketogenic diets are excellent for endurance athletes and there is an excellent book about it that lays out the physiological advantages of it.

The downside of the ketogenic diet is that it’s bloody hard work, until you get into the swing of it. I have personally found it to be tremendously helpful in controlling and moderating problematic headaches.

Doubtless this will descend into move more, eat less or veg diets are better than meat diets – and that would be a shame. The great thing about being in the UK – as opposed to say Syria – is that we get to exercise such a first world choice and then argue pointlessly about it on t’internet. The great thing about t’internet is it makes us aware of all these differing diet choices so that we pick and choose what works for us on an individualised basis.

mrsfry

I say do what works for you. Nothing wrong with what you are doing, it’s not new and people all over the world have done this out of choice or through no choice. The human body is an amazing thing with so much potential.

Enjoy your life and live it to it’s fullest.

Subscriber

@ratherbeintobago

Does it not make your breath stink?

The diet can make you a bit dehydrated. This reduces mouth saliva which creates an advantageous environment for plaque growth. This can make your breath smell. I am brushing three times a day, sometimes, and flossing and using mouthwash more often. No complaints received so far, but I’ve noticed it myself.

forzafkawi

Ketogenic diets are excellent for endurance athletes and there is an excellent book about it that lays out the physiological advantages of it.

Yes, if you cycle everywhere at 10 mph. The book is a waste of time and money.

Why Low-Carb Diets are Terrible for Athletes: Part 1

warton

Keto diets are hopeless for anyone doing endurance activity, even riding a bike for a couple of hours. I hope you enjoy leg cramps

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Athletes who have been in Ketosis for years are smashing endurance world records.

Keto diet is PERFECT for endurance, as your body is expert at burning fat, which is what your body wants to burn at endurance pace.

poah

your body prefers to metabolise sugar as its easier to convert to ATP

forzafkawi

Athletes who have been in Ketosis for years are smashing endurance world records.

Examples please.

mrsfry

your body prefers to metabolise sugar as its easier to convert to ATP

Your body burns what ever it has to burn. Not everyone is a first world person

Examples please.

Why do people say this!? They are on the blooming internet INTERNET yet they ask for examples (did i mention they are on the blooming internet)

Was i the only chap who managed to Google ‘Athletes on ketogenic diet’ and found a shed load of pro and none pro chaps and lady chaps πŸ™„

forzafkawi

Was i the only chap who managed to Google ‘Athletes on ketogenic diet’ and found a shed load of pro and none pro chaps and lady chaps

I Googled it and found a shedload of people saying what bollox it was and a few obscure athletes who are supposedly on a “low-carb” diet (NBA basketball isn’t an endurance sport by the way).

I asked for examples because I was expecting winners of any of the major marathons, IM triathlons or maybe Olympics or pro cycling Tours for instance – nada.

By all means try it (I have). You’ll experience some lovely hallucinations after a couple of hours on the bike, better than Magic Mushrooms.

poah

Your body burns what ever it has to burn. Not everyone is a first world person

your body will metabolise sugar before fat hence why I said prefers. unless I’m mistaken people replying in this thread are in the first world of course there could be the odd geordie or scouser I suppose

matt_bl

Why do people say this!? They are on the blooming internet INTERNET yet they ask for examples (did i mention they are on the blooming internet)

It’s pretty obvious really, you have information of good examples of athletes, who are genuinely ‘low-carb’.

Telling us who they are means we can look for them directly, rather than wade through the piles of bollox that comes up using a general search. It’s the done thing to present your evidence, but I’m guessing you know that.

Matt

mrsfry

Well meat and vegetation do contain sugar so i shall have to give into that line. High meat or veg does get converted in sugars

Inuits seemed to do ok and a lot of other none first world country’s/people managed very well on a high fat/meat zero or low cab life

Look on WordPress or Google for Athletes, even YT.

Meat contains sugar?*

*This is a rhetorical question πŸ˜‰

forzafkawi

mrsfry – Member

Well meat and vegetation do contain sugar so i shall have to give into that line. High meat or veg does get converted in sugars

Inuits seemed to do ok and a lot of other none first world country’s/people managed very well on a high fat/meat zero or low cab life

Look on WordPress or Google for Athletes, even YT.

People can obviously exist quite happily on Ketogenic diets as per your Inuit example who are always cited by proponents of Ketogenic diets. The question is whether or not endurance athletes can and in my experience that is not the case.

I experimented a few years back with a truly Ketogenic diet which took a few weeks before the Ketones truly kicked in. I persevered for a few more weeks of suffering on the bike (and I’m not anywhere near performance level) before finally abandoning it as a very bad idea.

I suspect a lot of athletes claiming to be on Ketogenic diets are in reality on low-carb diets (which is nowhere near the same thing) where they restrict carb intake until actual events. I have seen several examples of this and it is not a Ketogenic diet in my opinion.

There is no way that you can perform at a professional level of competition for anything over 90 minutes or so on a truly Ketogenic diet without consuming carbohydrates. You need glycogen to fuel the muscles at anything over walking pace. In my opinion any athlete claiming to be on a truly Ketogenic diet is lying.

The other thing to bear in mind for anyone contemplating this is the diet itself is absolute hell to stick to unless you don’t like fruit, vegetables, bread, pasta etc, etc. Think the Atkins Diet with knobs on.

Think the Atkins Diet with knobs of butter on.

8)

Lawmanmx

ignore the ‘Expert’ naysayers, the keto lifestyle really works! ive been keto for a couple of years now and the health and performance gains are dramatic, im 50yrs with the physique of a 20yr old and can ride all day, I never get hungry or tired, the foods I eat are totally delicious and I Love the foods way more than my old carb diet, the first 6 months are the hardest but its all good from then imo πŸ™‚
    ‘don’t overdo the protein tho’ but deffo overdo the fats πŸ˜‰

Oh, most really get it wrong and don’t give it anywhere near enough time to start working properly (I call them Quitters) Lol

jimjam

I was on it until recently. I had already cut out virtually all bread, pasta and cereals so figured it wouldn’t be a huge adjustment for me. Main things I noticed were improved mood, huge increase in mental clarity/focus/sharpenss call it what you will and food cravings virtually disappeared.

From an athletic point of view (I’m not an athlete, like most on here) I didn’t notice any drop in my energy or ability. An average mountain bike ride (2-3 hours) I noticed little to no change other than the ability to do it fasted easily with no food cravings.

With other types of exercise, eg. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which is almost a perfect mix of aerobic and anaerobic, again no down sides. I was able to spar at basically 100% for 45-60 mins and out work people who train twice as much as I do. A big benefit here is the ability to work out virtually fasted as the intensity levels are frequently vomit inducing.

Given the benefits, why you stop, jimjam?

jimjam

bongohoohaa

Given the benefits, why you stop, jimjam?

I had a lower back injury (thoracolumbar fascia) which came on quickly and seemingly without cause. Pain was intense, bordering on paralyzing and it felt indistinguishable from kidney pain so I changed what I was eating.

Got blood an urine tests from the doc just incase, everything came back fine. I’m now just trying to get back on to it.

allan23

ignore the ‘Expert’ naysayers, the keto lifestyle really works! ive been keto for a couple of years now and the health and performance gains are dramatic, im 50yrs with the physique of a 20yr old and can ride all day, I never get hungry or tired, the foods I eat are totally delicious and I Love the foods way more than my old carb diet, the first 6 months are the hardest but its all good from then imo
    ‘don’t overdo the protein tho’ but deffo overdo the fats

Oh, most really get it wrong and don’t give it anywhere near enough time to start working properly (I call them Quitters) Lol

Swoon, ketogenic diet doesn’t make your grammar better then?

Some diets work for some people, some diets work for other people.

NO DIET WORKS FOR EVERYONE!!!!

As soon as the internet realises that then this kind of thread will hopefully die out and people will stop being ripped off by stupid pseudo science diets and work out what a healthy diet is for themselves.

[There may be high level of sarcasm in my diet today]

Lawmanmx

as jimjam said above, I am able to ride easily with people who ride/train waaaay more than me and for extended periods, I find I am refreshed and energetic with much less sleep and more importantly im Never tired or lethargic in the day anymore, win win win πŸ™‚

if anyone is thinking of giving it a go then give it a proper go! at least 6 months, it can take a very long time for your body to fully change and be totally happy with ketones, read as much as poss on the subject so you become ‘Expert’ on what is going into your body and why πŸ™‚

Lawmanmx

Swoon, ketogenic diet doesn’t make your grammar better then?

allan23 – Member Some diets work for some people, some diets work for other people.

NO DIET WORKS FOR EVERYONE!!!!

As soon as the internet realises that then this kind of thread will hopefully die out and people will stop being ripped off by stupid pseudo science diets and work out what a healthy diet is for themselves.
    [There may be high level of sarcasm in my diet today]

yep sarcasm, pedantry AND ignorance, go you πŸ˜‰

I don’t think I could go full keto. I won’t say it’s a hassle, but it’s more reducing your food groups, so I imagine you find yourself eating the same things over and over.

Breakfast: Bacon and Eggs with Avocado
    Lunch: Avocado with Eggs and Bacon
    Tea: Eggs with Bacon and Avocado.

etc.

poah

Found this list of side effects on da net. I particularly like the last one. A diet that can do this to the body is not a good diet

Gastrointestinal disturbances (diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, constipation, GER)
    Inflammation risk
    Thinning hair/hair loss
    Kidney stones
    Muscle cramps or weakness
    Hypoglycemia
    Low platelet count
    Impaired concentration/cognition
    Impaired mood
    Renal tubular acidosis
    Nutrient deficiency
    Disordered mineral metabolism
    Poor growth in children
    Skeletal fracture
    Osteopenia/osteoporosis
    Increased bruising
    Sepsis, infection, bacteria overgrowth
    Pneumonia
    Acute pancreatitis
    Long QT intervals
    Cardiomyopathy
    Shift towards atherogenic lipid profiles (including hypercholesterolemia and hypertriglyceridemia)
    Heart arrhythmia
    Myocardial infarction,
    Menstrual irregularities and amenorrhea
    Death

What website is that from?

I am no keto fanatic, but that seems awfully alarmist.

To offer a counterpoint.

I avoid sugar and eat lots of meat, especially fat. I’ve been on a fat trip lately. Fat! Piles of fat. Yet, I was in a supermarket the other day and was perplexed to find yogurt with zero fat. What on earth is that? The idea of the nutrition pyramid where, at the top, is a little fat and meat, and at the bottom a lot of carbohydrates, is, excuse me, bullshit. Humans are so unbelievably stupid that we have begun to tinker with food. Our theories of nutrition have resulted in a pandemic of obesity. Can you imagine a hunter-gatherer enjoying a low-fat yogurt? Let me tell you this, too: I read a report recently which said that a fatty diet also increases your libido.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/charles-eugster-fittest-oap-on-planet

Solo

allan23Β –Β Member

NO particular DIET WORKS FOR EVERYONE[b]‘s[/b]!!!! Differing life style choices.
    πŸ˜‰

However, based on the assumption, contributors here are all Human. Then we’re operating the same physiological equipment.
    Lifestyle choices which dictate/influence dietary choices, will elicit a range of physiological responses/results.

But as we all possess a liver, a pancreas, etc, etc. Then the under lying manner in which our bodies process what they eat, is far more likely to be influenced by choices of what we eat and whether we exercise.

Select what to eat based on knowledge of how your body will process the foods you choose.

Get some exercise, doing something you enjoy.
    πŸ˜€

jimjam

poah – Member

Found this list of side effects on da net. I particularly like the last one. A diet that can do this to the body is not a good diet

Gastrointestinal disturbances (diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, constipation, GER)
    Inflammation risk
    Thinning hair/hair loss
    Kidney stones
    Muscle cramps or weakness
    Hypoglycemia
    Low platelet count
    Impaired concentration/cognition
    Impaired mood
    Renal tubular acidosis
    Nutrient deficiency
    Disordered mineral metabolism
    Poor growth in children
    Skeletal fracture
    Osteopenia/osteoporosis
    Increased bruising
    Sepsis, infection, bacteria overgrowth
    Pneumonia
    Acute pancreatitis
    Long QT intervals
    Cardiomyopathy
    Shift towards atherogenic lipid profiles (including hypercholesterolemia and hypertriglyceridemia)
    Heart arrhythmia
    Myocardial infarction,
    Menstrual irregularities and amenorrhea
    Death

Well in fairness my periods were really up the left, and I did die. But other than that the list is laughable bollox.

poah

Well in fairness my periods were really up the left, and I did die. But other than that the list is laughable bollox.

given that its from peer reviewed articles from people that know a lot more than you I’m going to have to disagree with your unwitty retort.

also remember thats possible side effects not a list of what everyone would get.

samej

Ah, diet threads are fun!!

I’ve been on keto for a couple of months now. Seems to be working for me. I’m perfectly able to keep doing my long bike rides (without any requirement to consume energy stuff), high intensity sessions, doesn’t seem to have impacted my climbing at all, and have just as much strength as I had before.

I definitely have more consistent energy, and it’s fixed my gastrointestinal issues (this could perhaps be specifically cutting out the wheat). It took a few weeks to get into it, but there were only a couple of rough days in that.

I don’t find the food too limiting really. Most of the foods are much tastier than boring pasta anyway. Do often fancy a bit of cake though. I’m probably going to try adding potatoes and fruit back in at some point to see how that changes things – obviously that would no longer be keto, but if I can maintain the benefits above with a slightly more socially acceptable/restaurant friendly diet that might be good.

given that its from peer reviewed articles from people that know a lot more than you I’m going to have to disagree with your unwitty retort.

Again, what website is this from.

jimjam

poah

It was extremely witty, don’t act so butthurt.

also remember thats possible side effects not a list of what everyone would get.

In the interests of fairness and balance then, kindly post a list of possible side effects associated with all other diets please. I’m particularly interested in any diet that will prevent death.

samej

It looks like a list of potential side effects of life to me.

poah

Again, what website is this from.

can’t remember, search for it. some doctor’s site

poah

In the interests of fairness and balance then, kindly post a list of possible side effects associated with all other diets please. I’m particularly interested in any diet that will prevent death.

no diet prevents death, we all die at some point.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Ketogenic diet blog’ is closed to new replies.