• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by timmys.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ketjap Manis or Kecap Manis
  • Premier Icon oikeith

Real first world problem here, I have been using in cooking recipes a sauce called Ketjap Manis which I picked up from a M&S food hall as Tesco never seemed to have it on the shelf, now M&S no longer have it either.

Some googling to buy some more has led me to Kecap Manis, some of the internet say this is the same as Ketjap Manis, others say it is different, does anyone on here know if they’re one and the same?

Premier Icon winston
    Free Member

Its Dutch Indonesian and you can get it from waitrose

Edit:Kecap is the Thai version. Not sure if its exactly the same, might be sweeter

Premier Icon howsyourdad1

kecap manis is basically soy sauce sweetened with palm sugar. then different manufacturers add diff spices.   So like HP brown sauce is the brown sauce, but there are other variants, but they basically taste the same.

so, in summary, they are the same, but different . Hope that helps

Premier Icon mikeyp

They are both sweet soy sauces but I’m sure wars have been fought the differences between them. Kecap will be fine and will be in all Chinese shops.

Premier Icon carlos
    Free Member

Sainsbury’s do the Kicap manis, its the same difference afaik

Premier Icon oikeith

Looks like a drive to the nearest Waitrose and Sainsburys is in order so I can try both!

Premier Icon Robz

Both the same. Variations depending on which part of SE Asia it’s from. Go to you local Asian supermarket and get a massive bottle for half the price of a tiny supermarket bottle.

Premier Icon peteimpreza

Do you have a local Asian store? It will be much cheaper there, I always get the ABC brand.

Premier Icon ivorlott
    Free Member

Used to get it from M&S too, Sainsbury’s version pretty much identical…

Premier Icon oikeith

Do you have a local Asian store?

No, the Asian store is in the nearby city which also homes the Waitrose and Sainsburys, but I did see the ABC brand when googling.

Sainsbury’s version pretty much identical

Noted

Premier Icon sturdylad
    Free Member

Mrs SturdyLad got our last stash of it from Amazon, pack of 6 bottles as I recall.

Premier Icon dickyhepburn
    Free Member

We call it katshit manpis is this house, crucial ingredient for pad prik kaprow. Get from Asian supermarket in 1L bottle for a few quid, or the same cost for 100ml from Waitrose

Premier Icon oikeith

pad prik kaprow

Got a link to a recipe? Always keen to try something else using katshit manpiss out.

I fry some green beans and carrot for a few mins then place on a plate before frying pork mince with shallots, spring onions, pepper, chilli and garlic for a few mins, then readd the carrot and green beans before adding 3 spoons of ketjap manis and 3 spoons of dark soy and then serving with basmatti rice.

Before I found the Ketjap Manis I tried differnt combinations of Soy, Mirin or Oyster sauce but didnt give it the taste that KM gives it IMO

Premier Icon timmys

I’m pretty nerdy about ingredients in general, but I have to say I just substitute soy + palm sugar at whatever ratio google told me to.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.