Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Keswick to Buttermere, easiest route?
  • ton

on the road, which hill is easiest for a slow hefty old boiler.
    whinlatter or newlands?

martinhutch

Whinlatter. Plus there’s a cafe at the visitor centre if you’re feeling shagged out after the climb.

Newlands much prettier obviously.

Harris
    Free Member

Newlands is longer and more drawn out. There is a kicker in the last 150 metres but it’s all doable. Lovely valley and a favorite of mine. Whinlatter is shorter but still graft. No views as such as you’re surround by forest. The decent into Lorton is fine, couple of bends to be aware of but all good. Left at the bottom for Buttermere. This is a cracking stretch of road.

Enjoy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honeybadgerx

From Keswick to Buttermere I think Newlands, though if the Borrowdale road is still shut by the turn for Watendlath then the official diversion was via Newlands so might be busy traffic wise. As noted above, good excuse for a cafe stop at Whinlatter!

On the cafe front we checked out the Old Filling Station cafe the other week, just off the A66 on the A5271 into Keswick – highly recommended, excellent eggs benedict and cappucinos served in mugs!

ton

thanks for the heads up about newlands, I rode up it on Friday teatime, and it is one of the nicest bits of cycling I have ever done……fantastic road/valley, so good I did it in reverse from buttermere this morning.

TomB

Agreed, the gently climbing road from keswick side to the head of newlands valley is one of the best bits of our local road riding. The steep section at the top can be a bit of a struggle, but you can see the end and it’s only short. Newlands from both sides is nice in the way the road hugs the hillside with great views below you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Keswick to Buttermere, easiest route?’ is closed to new replies.