Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Kenda UST Tyres and Stans No Tubes sealant?
  • shortcut

Hi,

I have been using Kenda UST Nevs with Mavic UST Rims and Stans No Tubes this has been great but……

today I noticed that the tyre was bulging, this on further investigation was as a result of the deterioration of the inside of the tyre to the extent that the tyre was essentially falling apart and delaminating with the threads of the casing breaking in some areas.

my assumption is that this is caused by something in the sealant eating away at the inside of the tyre.

Am I alone in suffering this problem?

Cheers,

SC.

househusband

IIRC There is an issue with Kenda tyres being deteriorated by some sealants… yup just found the disclaimer on the Kenda US website:

'KENDA DOES NOT ENDORSE THE USE OF ANY FLUID BASED SEALANT PRODUCTS IN KENDA TUBE TYPE OR TUBELESS TYPE TIRES. USE OF ANY FLUID BASED PRODUCT IN KENDA TIRES WILL BE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY CLAIMS.'

Link

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

interesting….one of my Dred Treads has expired,but it's had a tube in it since a trip to the Lakes over a month ago. The front,which was fitted at the same time,is fine. And it's still got Stans jiz in it.

thefallguy
    Free Member

Had this happen to a specialized captain, replaced under warranty at lbs

shortcut

OK – so a follow on question, what is the least corrosive puncture sealant that might work with Kendas or indeed others with similar issues?

guido

Same thing for me. my high roller LUST had a lump in the side wall. gutted.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Talking to the knowledgable mechanic in my LBS.Kenda are not alone in issuing disclaimers when a sealant is used. They're all at it.

househusband

They're all at it.

Interesting. Care to specify which others?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Schwalbe have said you can only use their sealant as have Hutchinson, I believe.

Maxxis tyres have been reported to fail a lot in this way on MTBR and people have not had warranty claims honoured if they used sealant.

To my mind the benefits of UST tyres would not be great enough without using sealant.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

House husband,as Dangerous Beans has hinted,all the major manufacturers.More to cover themselves than any inherent problems….

nostoc
    Free Member

I've had bulges recently in two Conti Mountain King protection. The sealant was just latex.

shortcut

I used to run Panaracers ages ago with ordinary latex, came back to tubeless 6 months ago and Stans with Kenda seems fine initially but not over a medium period. The smooth rubbery goodness goes to rats quickly and then the whole thing seems to die slowly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

solution – ride lots …

my tires go in the bin before this happens ….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Kenda UST Tyres and Stans No Tubes sealant?’ is closed to new replies.