Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Kelly McGarry destroys another set of wheels, a bike and himself
  • legend
    Free Member

cloudnine – Member

Typical chinese reaction of ignore the injured person whos just crashed / been run over / fallen over etc…

Perspective is key here, those guys were apparently a lot further away than it looks on the video.

See Josh Benders Karpiel Apocalypse/Armageddon frames, for which that was the norm!

Those ill thought out monstrosities would’ve spat him off long before he got where he did

mikey74
    Free Member

Those ill thought out monstrosities would’ve spat him off long before he got where he did

Yeah, the suspension on those things were designed for massive, single hits. The slow rebound and hard compression alone would have rendered the suspension useless before he’d even reached that point.

stoney
    Free Member

LOL`d @ enfht comment!

I had a Grifter when I was a kid, No way it would have broke! 😉

bigrich

See Josh Benders Karpiel Apocalypse/Armageddon frames, for which that was the norm!

they dropped him as he broke too many, and he ended up buying multiple bikes out of his own pocket.

joefm

Landing on dirt with wheels flat on a slight slope is slightly different to nose diving flat concrete.

Shit, pointless event. I watched the headcam that was out the other day and thought wtf… Asking for trouble

rbc87
    Free Member

Very impressive YT frame strength, would have ripped off the headtube at the welds with the top and downtube on most other frames.

dragon
    Free Member

but mainly Saint brakes come out of this quite badly

No they don’t. Shimano (or for that matter any other manufacturer) design their brakes for normal use, whereby you don’t just drag them for ages, but come off them at times, to give them time to cool down.

If you really are going to do that event then you need someone to design you a custom set of brakes for the task in hand.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

NcGarry would be doing daft shit like this anyway, even if he wasn’t being paid

I doubt this. If you make a living doing extreme stuff then you need to do extreme stuff to make a living.

legend
    Free Member

No they don’t. Shimano (or for that matter any other manufacturer) design their brakes for normal use, whereby you don’t just drag them for ages, but come off them at times, to give them time to cool down.

Yeah but sooner or later someone will remember that Aaron Gwin also had Saints fail on him and teh interweb will go into mass-histeria 😯

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Would be interesting to know how may other riders were using Saints, presumably a few, and they didn’t have any issues.

I think the frame and fork stood up well to the impact…which is good seeing as I have the exact same setup…including shimano Zees… (off to buy a set of Hopes now!)

Hope he heals quickly.

bigjim

Some daft comments in this thread 😐

You need to watch the other videos to get perspective of just how steep it is, 50 degree slope is insanely steep and a massive vertical height drop. The bit he landed on was also still stairs.

“Hey team thanks for the messages, I’m all good, munched my foot a bit and got two cuts on arm totalling 7 stitches. Brakes cooked and pulled to the bar half way down course ( 1000 ft of 50 degree stairs + 97 kg bloke at race pace) …was on a runaway train …Scary moment for sure .Stoked to be ok. Cheers”.

bigjim

Typical chinese reaction of ignore the injured person whos just crashed / been run over / fallen over etc…

Nice, real nice.

deviant
    Free Member

Hopefully Saint brakes drop in price following this so I can pick up a pair cheap!….they are awesome by the way and that was a freak incident.

The frame stayed together well, could’ve ripped the headtube off but didn’t…likewise the forks are immense…he needs to change wheel sponsor however.

tomd
    Free Member

To the folk slagging the wheels off, surely something had to give?

He was going at a mad out of control speed off a big drop. If the wheel stayed in one piece it’s not like he’d have smoothly ridden away from that. The possibilities (in order of likelihood):

1) His arms, legs and face absorb all of the impact and he slides away in a more mangled heap.
    2) He gets horribly impaled or cut in half by the bike
    3) He somehow stays on the bike going at 70mph towards the massive jump and is launched into oblivion, and then dies.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I think it’s a good thing that McGarry and YT are willing to show the damage done. One year at a Rampage there was a reported 14 pairs of broken forks but no pictures.

I think it makes a nice change to show these things. It’s not like the paying public will be doing anything as big as this (unless it’s really foggy and you miss that alpine switchback).

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I cannot express strongly enough just how unappealing the idea of riding that is to me.

mikey74
    Free Member

I think it’s a good thing that McGarry and YT are willing to show the damage done. One year at a Rampage there was a reported 14 pairs of broken forks but no pictures.

You can’t really blame the manufacturer’s for not showing that, though: Once the internet gets hold of something it will get twisted, misunderstood and turned into a stick to beat [insert mtb component brand] with, regardless of the mitigating factors behind the story.

Exhibit A: This thread:

stanfree
    Free Member

A Raleigh Grifter wouldn’t have broke.

No but the Sturmey Archer gear chain definately would have .

dannyh
    Free Member

Irrespective of the willing participation of the riders, some of these events are becoming a form of gonzo pron for mountain biking. In the same sense that a lot of pron is so far removed from what normal people experience, this stuff is more like circus performers. Why not get them to juggle flaming torches whilst they go down the steps, or maybe swallow a sword at the bottom?

There comes a point where skill and courage can be trumped by simply being willing to risk death, that is the point beyond which entertainment turns into something a bit more sinister.

Northwind

umop3pisdn – Member

I cannot express strongly enough just how unappealing the idea of riding that is to me.

It’s just a natural progression, first you ride off a kerb, then you ride down the steps at the shops, then down that big set at the school… Mountain biking when I was a kid was basically 9/10ths about riding down steps, then it went into this weird “singletrack” trend which we now see for the perverted cul-de-sac it was. It’s all steps from here on in.

If anyone wants me, I’ll be stuck halfway down the wooden steps beside the bridge.

mikey74
    Free Member

There comes a point where skill and courage can be trumped by simply being willing to risk death, that is the point beyond which entertainment turns into something a bit more sinister.

+100

And that’s my point, really. This event is just putting riders at risk for nothing other that spectator gratification.

fooman

His crash looks even more brutal in this vid good to see him waving to the crowd Redbull Sky Gate most riders are definitely controlling their speed and braking on the way down, such a long drag I’m surprised more didn’t suffer brake problems.

cookeaa

TBH it looks like a relatively dull “Event” completely setup for the knovel location and not much else, batter down the steps, one big final jump for them to try and style it over at the end, and not enough run-off space in the finish area…

Well done to the riders for managing to stay on message (let’s not upset the sponsors) and not complain about a “Course” that was obviously not setup by someone without any concept of what MTBing actually is…

D0NK

Mountain biking when I was a kid was basically 9/10ths about riding down steps, then it went into this weird “singletrack” trend

😆 100% accurate.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve said this before- I’m not comfortable or happy with these ‘big’ events that redbull push that can result in a very serious injury or death one day. All to push/market their vile brew.

gonzy
    Free Member

hope he gets better and is back on the bike soon.
    but another set of atomlab dhr rims trashed and the frame borked…the the forks look to be unscathed…bombers eh? 😀

Euro
    Free Member

I’ve said this before- I’m not comfortable or happy with these ‘big’ events that redbull push that can result in a very serious injury or death one day. All to push/market their vile brew.

Redbull sponsor these events, they don’t dream them up. That’ll be the riders/XXXXtreme atheletics who come up with the idea and then approach companies like Redbull, Monster, Mountain Dew etc to organise/pay for them.

chakaping
    Free Member

China has some amazing mountains. I’d be much more interested in seeing a big mountain freeride kind of event out there than this nonsense, personally.

Good job his front wheel did disintegrate IMO, it must’ve took a decent portion of the blow.

nickc

needs perspective…

Riders have insurance, they know what they’re getting into, it’s not like they’re being press-ganged. I don’t see event as any worse or gonzo as any city based DH races, some of the favela based ones are stupid steep, and full of obstacles, natural and man made, it’s no better/worse than Rampage.

matt_outandabout

China also has that mountain with a home made wood walkway / via ferrata above a thousand feet or so of air…

Where is Danny Mac when you need him?

honourablegeorge

Forks look unscathed, but I wouldn’t be bidding if they come up on EBay

Saw an x-ray posted on Facebook earlier, I’m no doctor, but McGarry has two broken legs for his trouble.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Where is the x-ray? Linky?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The helmet came out of this pretty good, it was a tasty face plant, think it just bent the visor and scuffed it a bit.

honourablegeorge

njee20
    Free Member

That’s a sticker.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Which FB page? Provenence an all that..

grum
    Free Member

You kind of wonder given that his brakes had failed what would have been the best way of getting out of that situation? Making it to the end then overshooting that last jump could have been much much worse.

Seems like he came out of it pretty damn well all considered.

dannyh
    Free Member

You kind of wonder given that his brakes had failed what would have been the best way of getting out of that situation?

Doesn’t really bear thinking about.

honourablegeorge

grum – Member
    You kind of wonder given that his brakes had failed what would have been the best way of getting out of that situation?

I’m not even sure the old “foot on the back wheel” trick would have worked

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Kelly McGarry destroys another set of wheels, a bike and himself’ is closed to new replies.