Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Kelly McGarry destroys another set of wheels, a bike and himself
  • jam1e
    Free Member

Saint brakes don’t cut the mustard when you’re a big bloke descending 1000ft down a 50 degree flight of steps

Kelly McGarry Crashes Hard in China

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Remind me not to buy from YT…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

maybe he just needed road brake callipers, apparently they are better than discs

coblck
    Free Member

Boooooooooom

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve said it elsewhere, so I may as well say it here: It was a stupid, pointless, ill-conceived event. I wish him a speedy recovery.

wrecker
    Free Member

Missing a smiley CFH?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nope. Given the hit that Kelly’s bike took at Rampage (A Diamond Back, IIRC) and the hits that many others have taken, that looks weak to me.

wrecker
    Free Member

???
    Weak?
    Do you do 50ft drops to flat?
    If not, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

whats even going on with that pic? headset cup come out?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No, I don’t, nowhere near. But, did you ever see Josh Bender, or anyone else in that ilk, break a bike that way? Nope. Thought not. It just looks like a big frame fail to me.

DR, the whole headtube has flared out. Badly.

stupid, pointless, ill-conceived event.

Yep, totally. Pointless marketing crap.

jam1e
    Free Member

Here’s a better perspective of what they were going down:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0QQiUjhYsc[/video]

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ah yer i see it now,

honourablegeorge

McGarry’s brakes failed riding 1000ft of steps. He was out of control, and slammed to flat conrete at full speed from 50 feet up. No surprise the bike is wrecked.

mikey74
    Free Member

I do sometimes think this move to make DH and freeride bikes lighter and lighter is resulting in some frames that are too light, especially from the smaller manufacturer’s who don’t have the R&D budgets of the big boys.

jam1e
    Free Member

YT headtubes, Atomlab wheels but mainly Saint brakes come out of this quite badly

Northwind

Completely daft event but IMO criticising the frame and wheels for breaking is just daft- that’s a hit way in excess of what they’re built for. It’s just not relevant to normal use. It’s like complaining that your car broke because you drove it into a wall, and deciding that this means it wouldn’t be reliable for driving to the shops

hairyscary

I managed to do this at a relatively low speed, so it doesn’t surprise me that these guys destroy their bikes.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nHMTuR]IMAG0532[/url] by MattNSmith, on Flickr

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Absolutely no surprise something bad like this happened, it was a stupid event. Watched the course preview on PB the other day and pretty much everyone was saying it was stupid and the only way to win would be a suicide run. Some danger is OK but this race should never of happened IMO.

matt_outandabout

That was one massive impact….

mikey74
    Free Member

This event is nothing short of exploitation by Redbull and deserves to be condemned.

Oh, and I agree that there are very few components/frames that would survive an impact like that.

honourablegeorge

mikey74 – Member
    This event is nothing short of exploitation by Redbull and deserves to be condemned.

Nobody complains about Rampage or jumping out of space balloons or any of the other loony shit. People are free to take part if they like.

NcGarry would be doing daft shit like this anyway, even if he wasn’t being paid.

mikey74
    Free Member

Rampage allows riders to choose their own lines and make them as risky as they want. Plus, it’s not a race. Nor is jumping out of a balloon.

I agree that both of those still have their inherent risks, but at least they allow the participants to largely be in control of their own lines/destiny and don’t have the race against the clock element.

As frosty said above: To win a race of this nature you’d have to be almost suicidal. The Rampage, and all other urban dh events (for want of a better phrase) there are opportunities designed into the course for riders to check their speed accordingly and it becomes a game of skill, as much as fitness and nerve. This had none of that.

For Redbull sponsored riders, I’m sure they are “encouraged” to take part.

bigrich

a nicer guy you could not hope to meet. Hope he’s OK.

butcher

Completely daft event but IMO criticising the frame and wheels for breaking is just daft

If anything, the bike giving way the way it did, possibly broke his fall somewhat. You would not want to fall from that height and land on a solid object. It’s completely bonkers that’s he’s even alive, watching that.

mikey74
    Free Member

a nicer guy you could not hope to meet. Hope he’s OK.

Very true. He was hanging around Whistler quite a bit last year when I was there. He always had a smile on his face and seemed very down-to-earth.

andyl
    Free Member

looking at the side on photo I would say Marzocchi forks are pretty damn tough!

Frame has done well too IMO. Head tube could have split or detached at a weld but has just yielded at the top cup.

@Dirtyrider – the top of the head tube has elongated forwards as the fork has taken a hit backwards.

The wheels have fallen to pieces though. Hell of an impact and no doubt well beyond what any part of the bike is built to survive.

bigrich

there isn’t a frame in the world that wouldn’t break if you did that to it.

mattbee

I’d be glad the headtube didn’t rip clean off under impact, although regardless of the visible damage I doubt anyone would be too confident in riding the frame again…

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh after the impact that took and still the frame is in one piece – there isnt a single person on this forum that needs to worry about the yt frame integrity 😉

edward2000
    Free Member

Put an angleset in and it’ll be good to go again

bigrich

that’s the world class version of riding down the steps in the local shopping precinct to look cool.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Bombers FTW!

Sandwich

Emergency care was slow arriving at the scene.

Is the allen bolt stem attachment used by any other manufacturer? It looks overly complicated compared to one clamped around the steerer.

convert

The original video makes that event look a bit lame, but when you see it from another angle….. 😯

warpcow
    Free Member

Is the allen bolt stem attachment used by any other manufacturer? It looks overly complicated compared to one clamped around the steerer.

It’s been pretty much the standard on DC-forks for years now.

Iirc the Bombers on his Diamondback were bent backwards by his Rampage crash while the frame looked less abused.

He may be the one person on earth who can actually recreate that German mag test that melted an Ice-Tech rotor.

Hope he recovers soon.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Typical chinese reaction of ignore the injured person whos just crashed / been run over / fallen over etc…

chiefgrooveguru

Nasty. And looks a sadly pointless event.

That could have been one of the rare times when Hope V4s (or V2s) with vented rotors would have been appropriate rather than overkill.

njee20
    Free Member

there isn’t a frame in the world that wouldn’t break if you did that to it.

See Josh Benders Karpiel Apocalypse/Armageddon frames, for which that was the norm!

enfht
    Free Member

A Raleigh Grifter wouldn’t have broke.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Frame has done well too IMO. Head tube could have split or detached at a weld but has just yielded at the top cup.

This.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Kelly McGarry destroys another set of wheels, a bike and himself’ is closed to new replies.