Keilder, anyone care to share some local knowledge with a visiting Southerner.

Home Forum Chat Forum Keilder, anyone care to share some local knowledge with a visiting Southerner.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Keilder, anyone care to share some local knowledge with a visiting Southerner.
  • Three_Fish

All the main Kielder trails start near the site. Loads of info/maps here:

http://www.kieldertrailreavers.co.uk/

Be very prepared for swarms of midges.

TooTall

Midges – lots of midges. and trees. and water.
    Oh – and the midges bring their friends. AAAAAaaaalllll of them.

thomthumb

ride to newcastleton is great. not sure of the distance time though…

Kielder black is tough compared to welsh stuff…

Thanks.

And finally…………..

140mm full bounce or 100mm forked singlespeed?

I’ll be staying the bank holiday weekend at the Kielder campsite on the northern edge of Kielder with my 11 year old son who is a competent XC rider. Any tips for rides in the area? I’ll probably get a ride on my own while the boy’s at a friend’s at Bonchester bridge and we’ll get out together on the Monday. As a guide, he managed Innerleithen red last year followed by Glentress blue in the afternoon.

Thanks in advance for any (helpful) replies.

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Deadwater trail will be a nice ride with your son – It’s not that long but is long enough to feel like a ride. Some nice features There’s an optional black bit that you can take a look at.
    The top loop up to the radar station (or whatever it is) is just fireroad up and down. Worth doing in fine weather I would say as the views would be majestic. Not worth doing in driving rain on your cross bike then puncturing on the descent (how do I know…?) If you look on a map it is obv how to avoid this if you wish.

Lonesome pine trail around the lake a little is a bit tedious. Could be a good workout, but you’d need to know the area to liven it up I would guess – main track is pure magnolia riding.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

If you’ve been to Scotland and seen the midgies then this was a warm up for Kielder.

Enjoy!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Keilder, anyone care to share some local knowledge with a visiting Southerner.’ is closed to new replies.