Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Keeping the chain on: Orange Five, 1 x 10
  • ninenailspete
    Free Member

I want to go 1 x 10. I’ve got a medium cage clutch XT mech on the back, and I’ll pick up a 32t non-ramped chainring for the front.

So what do I need to keep the chain on at the front? Just a top guide, or is it worth a full chain device? I’d like something to protect the chainring, so ideally I’d either keep the Hope bashguard that’s on now or put a slider on the bottom.

The clutch mech seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the chain on at the moment as a 2 x 10, so is it really worth the extra cost for a full chain device? And if not, what top guide works best with a bash ring? There seem to be an awful lot of choices out there…

honourablegeorge

If you have the Hope bash, it probably makes sense to use the hope guide.

composite
    Free Member

Go 1-10 but stick with what parts you have and see if it’s a problem.

If it is start the same thread again in a few weeks. 😆

orena45

I went 1×10 on my Five a month or so ago. Have got a Hope chain ring, Hope ISCG top guide, full bash guard and Shimano Zee short cage rear mech.

Since I converted I’ve ridden lots of techy local trails, Cwm Carn and Afan and last weekend a local urban DH race, and not once have I had the chain come off….really impressed with the set up.

The medium cage you’ve got might mean the chain is a little slacker than what I’ve got but I would’ve thought it shouldn’t be a problem. I’d get the Hope top guide and go with the set up you mention 🙂

Northwind

Re bashring- IME it’s not really an issue with 1×10, the chain is very tough. I’d thought bashing the chainring/chain might damage it but so far it’s not caused any problems despite best efforts.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Keeping the chain on: Orange Five, 1 x 10’ is closed to new replies.