Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Keeping old phone number and phone.. also new phone using old number
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

Hi folks

I am on virgin media with a pay as you go phone. I still have credit in it and wish to keep that phone for on the bike.

I also have another phone and have gone with another company (also PAYG)but want to use my old phones number on both phones. I have called up virgin for a PAC code and tried asking the guy if this was possible. I explained what I wanted to do and he gave me the PAC code. He asked why I wanted to leave.. and I explained again that I still want to use the virgin simed phone that I have but also want to use the same number on the new phone I have on Giffgaff. He seemed to understand what I wanted to do and it seemed that it was possible so I’m now wondering why I have just recieved a text telling me that I’m leaving virgin on the 23rd.

If it means that the old number cannot be used on both phones then I don’t mind. I will be happy enough with the new phone using my old number. I know it could be a bit weird receiving calls etc twice but it’s what I’d be happy with.

Should this be possible to do? Do many folk do this? Or am I just being stupid?

cheers!

Martin

cynic-al
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences but AFAIK only 1 sim per no. and vice versa.

Cougar

The number is tied to the SIM and has to be unique. Nothing to stop you transferring SIMs around (as long as the phone is unlocked) though.

As far as porting goes, you can always port numbers between providers (assuming PAYG > PAYG or contract > contract); any salesman who tells you different is lying to get commission for a new contract.

If you want one number, you could set up forwarding from one to the other; be warned though that you’ll be charged for the forwarded call so I wouldn’t recommend it.

druidh
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    The number is tied to the SIM and has to be unique.

That’s what i thought.

If it’s only for incoming calls (so you are always reachable on one number) you should be able to use Call Forwarding to get to the 2nd phone when the first is switched off. Of course, when you call someone from the 2nd phone, they’ll not recognise the number (until they add it to their contact list).

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – something I did years ago was get a Personal Mobile number. When folk call that, it routes to whatever location I’ve decided to use (mobile or landline).

pebblebeach
    Free Member

And what crazy call rates dot hey charge?

Can’t you just put one phone on divert to the other?

druidh
    Free Member

pebblebeach – Member
    And what crazy call rates dot hey charge?

I don’t care, I never call myself.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Well the new sim will be using my old number shortly.. so virgin will be leaving me with my phone and a virgin sim that’s not going to be useable. In the text they said to make sure to save everything from my phonebook before the big day.

It’s not just the dampness i’m worried about when riding with a new phone. I could bag it.. but its still carrying way too much when a cheap nokia weighs next to nothing.. and probably does the job better when it comes to calls. The extra weight is another thing (in the hydration pack)

Going light feels good,on big rides you need to take more kit but it’s good to be able to keep weight on the back to a minimum and this new phone feels twice the weight of the old thing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Keeping old phone number and phone.. also new phone using old number’ is closed to new replies.