Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Keeping feet warm
  • rascal
    Free Member

I’ve given up on trying to keep them dry despite wearing Northwave Celsius winter boots and Sealskinz socks. The water always tends to find its way through the top of the boots leaving me with frozen wet feet when it’s raining…not so bad when it’s just shit been flicked up off the ground. Looking for a thinnish pair of ‘normal’ socks that retain an element of warmth even when it’s cold and my feet are wet…do they exist?

schmiken

Are you using waterproof trousers? They make a massive difference.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I never found seal skinz to be warm.

I prefer Merino wool socks never suffered from cold feet with them even when saturated

ac282

If its wet, I combine my northwave boots with Grip Grab gaiters. They are really effective at keeping my feet dry.
    Add in some thick Merino wool socks and I’m comfortable whether its wet or freezing cold.

MSP

Feet don’t generate heat, you need to keep your core and legs warm.

martinhutch

Is the thickness of the sock making them too tight? You may be restricting circulation which stops them warming up.

lowey

I use Knee length Merino Sealskins with Vaude MTB Boot. What has really made a difference these last two winters has been using a pair of MTB trousers though. Keep a lot of rain / puddle splashes out of the boot. Feet have been toasty warm in all conditions.

Kryton57

I never found seal skinz to be warm.

+1 I wear Defeet wooly socks inside Scott Heater’s with waterproof trousers which fall nicely over the top of my boots. As Scmicken says, the trousers were a game changer – dry warm feet every time.

snotrag

Trousers, 100%.

Been riding for decades and always struggled with cold feet, used so many variants boots/socks etc, but Trousers make the biggest difference.

lunge

Bin the Seal Skins, replace with good merino wool socks.
    Trousers are not a bad idea.
    The cheap roadie option is to wrap your toes in tinfoil, works really well.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Strange, the ones I picked up in Wickes last week are blue. For food? in Wickes? hmm

+

trousers were a game changer

Either waterproof trousers, or roubaix bib-longs with grip-grab gaiters.

The only thing keeping your feet warm is the blood flowing to them, so you need to keep your legs warm so the blood vessels stay open and let as much blood flow as possible. As soon as any part of your lower body starts to get even a little chilly it’s game over as it’s response is to limit the onwards blood supply to preserve core temperature.

And if you’re not using gaiters with any boots then water will obviously just get in the top.

Cleaning and re-proofing the boots does help as well.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

A pair of neoprene socks, possibly in combination with another thin pair of socks.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

To answer your actual question, have a look for Save Our Soles merino socks on eBay. I got some years ago from On-One and they’ve lasted really well. They’re very thin but I had a pair on today inside my merino Sealskinz and feet were fine. At some point when I’m feeling flush I’ll get some knee length waterproof socks, combined with good trousers I reckon that’s the way forward.

theotherjonv

Feet don’t generate heat, you need to keep your core and legs warm.

This and as TINAS said. In particular ankles (and wrists wrt fingers) where there is little natural insulation

For the coldest conditions I have ski socks with the feet cut off as wrist warmers, and on feet. The challenge then is also to not get them wet so waterproof trousers or tights in addition.

I’m amazed by a guy I used to ride with that thought he had cold feet, spent a fortune on expensive boots and overshoes and then rode in 3/4’s because ‘my legs don’t feel the cold in the same way’

desperatebicycle

Strange, the ones I picked up in Wickes last week are blue. For food? in Wickes? hmm

Talk about quoting out of context! 😆

My feet have been ok the last few days in Northwave boots with Northwave Husky ceramic socks and Lidls softshell trousers (only £9.99!) Leg warmers beneath as well when it’s sub zero.

matt_outandabout

I find I do:
    – fleecy tights or trousers
    – Warm walking sock AND ‘warm’ cycle/liner sock, also merino
    – winterboots – Shimano, insulated
    – add reflective layer under footbed

And still I can get cold toes…

MoreCashThanDash

Ski socks inside boots big enough to accommodate the extra thickness.

And keep your thighs warm as blood flows down to your feet.

tjagain

Do sealskins come in two types?  The ones I have are thick and warm.  trousers over the top and mudguards make a huge differnce

footflaps

Do sealskins come in two types?

They used to have some with a merino lining….

zerocool

There was a huge thread about this a month or so ago.

nickdavies

Gaiters. Recently treated myself to a pair of northwave winter goretex boots which i use with grip grab merino socks and gaiters – total gamechanger and wish i’d done it sooner now.

Totally toasty and warm and even after full immersion up to my knees in a river stayed bone dry. Used to suffer the same problem as you with water getting in the top of sealskin socks.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.