Keep me sane, and save my relationship please

Home Forum Chat Forum Keep me sane, and save my relationship please

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Keep me sane, and save my relationship please
  • Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I know it’s a big ask.

I’ve managed to tear my shoulder muscles while out on the bike this week (I’m dead GNARRRRRRR me). So I’ve been told I’m off the bike for 5 – 6 weeks. Oh joy! When this news was delivered to Mrs Binners, she let out the howl of despair of a condemned woman.

So what the hell am I going to do with myself? I need to keep myself doing something. For everyone’s benefit! I can’t just go to the pub and eat pies for 6 weeks. My shoulder hurts like buggery so anything using that is out. But I need to do something.

Your advice and experiences appreciated oh wise STW Ones

You can still go out and walk. Check out new lines and research possible trail options.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

unicycle

or riverdance

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

Beer and pies, is my advice.

Or build a new bike, what better way to cement the bonds of your relationship.

andypaul99

turbo trainer

tinribz

Didn’t something like this lead to Brad’s break through moment.

Marmoset

What, so we can expect a surprise 4th place for Binners at le tour next year?.. ๐Ÿ˜€

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

What, so we can expect a surprise 4th place for Binners at le tour next year?..

or for him to get run over outside a petrol station – its 50:50

Premier Icon postierich
    Subscriber

Do what I am doing stripping bikes down and servicing every part true wheels, post crap on here and fb not had the urge to put a bike on a turbo trainer yet!
    Try and read the STW in a badly lit room should take a while!

loddrik

So what the hell am I going to do with myself?

Plenty of ‘column inches’ to be enjoyed at the minute… ๐Ÿ˜€

Well, when i did something similar (torn ligaments in shoulder) a few years ago I was determined not to lose the fitness I’d built up from riding so my distraction was maintaining a high level of fitness during my off bike time. So I got a cross trainer, I could obviously only use one arm on it but it really maintained, if not improved on my stamina and thigh muscle strength. When I was able to ride again it was great because I instantly felt fit and ready for riding without the ‘I’ll be hopeless I’ve done nothing for weeks’ mentality.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Words of wisdom rich! I’ll aim to bugger my eyesight up! ๐Ÿ˜€

I’ve just got the full suss out, and an array of hammers, so a full strip down is in order. I’ve got a few parts need fitting, and it’s been in desperate need of some TLC for a while!

I’ll be training for next years tour debut obviously ๐Ÿ˜†

TurnerGuy

My shoulder hurts like buggery

can’t empathize as I have never tried that.

What’s it like, worse than childbirth ?

Premier Icon Farticus
    Subscriber

Look on this as an opportunity.

You can now design and specify your perfect frame, find a custom framebuilder and get it made. A few weeks selecting and sourcing esoteric parts from round the world, build it all up in week 6 and away you go.

I could show you pictures but that would be wrong of me.

hora

Improve your cunnilingus technique

crikey

Improve your cunnilingus technique

I know you’re a big fanny, but binners wouldn’t want to lick you..

Premier Icon psling
    Subscriber

Words of wisdom rich! I’ll aim to bugger my eyesight up!

Now, let me think. What can you do with one arm that’ll make you blind? Erm… โ“

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

Fix, clean, build bikes, learn to build wheels, walk, get under the wife’s feet, look grumpy, go for experimental rides on the road, go swimming, read a cycling book, irritate people on here, Faceache, twitter, build a trail, do a mountain bike film (easier than you think) – five mins if action is doable on a smart phone.

jaymoid

* Read a book about mtb skills technique or training strategy/fitness.

* Find some shit to sell on ebay.

* Go through your photos, pick out your faves, get them printed, put them in frames around the house.

* Phone your friends and family you have neglected because you have been out riding.

These are permanently on my TODO list.

deadlydarcy

Phone me and tell me how much you love me binbins. ๐Ÿ˜€

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I’ve just sexted you Bravisimo. ๐Ÿ˜€

Some good suggestions. I’ve built wheels before. I don’t really need another set, but I really enjoyed it. Which is bizarre since I’ve no patience at all. I found it really therapeutic. Might well do that!

Going to service a set of forks for the first time. This may not end well. There’s an awful lot of bits in this service kit. I wonder how many I’ll have left

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Oh… And farticus… Thank you for not posting any pictures of ‘that frame’. It’s still nagging away at me. In fact it’s taking on air of when, not if ๐Ÿ˜‰

deadlydarcy

Do a jigsaw binbins.

Premier Icon Farticus
    Subscriber

Thank you for not posting any pictures of ‘that frame’. It’s still nagging away at me. In fact it’s taking on air of when, not if

You won’t regret it. If you get injured again you can still pass the time admiring the welding.

When I ruptured my bicep tendon – I ate pies and drank beer. That was 3 months ago.

I went from buffness to beer belly quite quickly and put on over a stone.

I’m now ready to get fit again but it’s going to be hard work. Took 2 years to get to the point I was at before and 3 months to lose it ๐Ÿ™

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

You could collate the STW helmet debate threads and the wheel size threads and deliver us the one truth

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Spend the whole time being nice to the wife and helping around the house (with one arm of course). At the end of it all she’ll be so sick of it she’ll be asking for the “original” @binners back.

globalti

Read some books? There are some quite good ones around and they can take you to places your bike can’t.

Kunstler

Get to the gym and ride a ten mile time trial on one of their shitty gym bikes. On each visit, improve your time. The amount of time it takes is about as long as anyone could bear on one of those god awful machines. After six weeks you’ll have good fitness and really appreciate your bike. No doubt you’ll still have to take it easy at that point but you’ll be the fastest kid on the towpath.

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Subscriber

I feel your pain and I’m up to week 19 off the bike with my injuries.

Read lots and lots of cycling books (now sort of understand Le Tour).
    Borrow a turbo trainer from a nice friend.
    Try walking, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
    Learn how to bake the finest pie in all the land.

Oh and get mended soon, hurty shoulder is not a laughing matter.

rogerthecat

So I’ve been told I’m off the bike for 5 – 6 weeks. Oh joy! When this news was delivered to Mrs Binners, she let out the howl of despair of a condemned woman.

Time may be well invested in researching good divorce lawyers.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Get yourself down the pub and take that other invalid trolleywheels with you so that you can discuss the important issues of the day.

piemonster

Binners my dear lover of Pies.

Have you considered taking your better half on a weekend away. Somewhere a bit posh like St Andrews?

Plenty of food options to suit your tastes http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/fife/pie-machine-is-talk-of-the-town-in-upper-crust-st-andrews-1.162374

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Keep me sane, and save my relationship please’ is closed to new replies.