Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Keela Glacier Socks the cure for my cold feet ? ☃️
  • oldfart

I suffer from cold feet on the bike this time of year . Bought a pair of Shimano Dryshield a size bigger for air circulation , also lambs wool insoles . I’ve been put off the Heatholder socks , as I thought bit of a gimmick not suitable for riding . I have a couple of pairs of Madison “ Extreme Winter “ socks , ha ! 🙄 So then HJ Commando’s we’re recommended to me , I remember my dad swearing by HJ Indestructibles when he worked outdoors digging peat by hand . In the course of looking for them I came across the Keela Glacier , now the very name makes me think they’ll be just the ticket but as they are quite a bit more expensive than the HJs I thought I’d ask on here first if anyone uses them ?
    Is it the case that I’m just going to have to except the inevitable and put up with cold feet? 😞 What I normally find is I start off with either cold hands or cold feet then half way round they swap places 🙄
    Just to add I’m looking for knee length to keep lower limbs warmer.

simondbarnes

Starting off with anything cold is always a recipe for disaster. Start off warm and you’ll have half a chance!

matt_outandabout

Madison “ Extreme Winter “

Yes, but Madison sell gloves for deep winter with no insulation in them…
    They’re not the only ones – I’ve Galibier ‘heat’ and Endura ‘Baabaa’ merino socks that are so thin you see skin through the mesh… I do wonder if their buyers have ever tested them…

matt_outandabout

To OP: I find that just good winter walking socks in Merino with Shimano winter boots about as good as it gets.
    I’ve added a reflective silver plastic sheet under the insoles, it helps. I add a thin summer sock under in really cold conditions.

ton

i told you what i use for my right foot, but i have to say, Keela stuff is very good.
    i use roadrunners and a micro pulse fleece. both perfect. owned a saxon jacket. again very good. so i reckon the socks could be good.

but like i said, a womans 100 denier tight cut off at knee length and worn as a sock, is fantastic under a good wool sock.

and also good outdoor leather boots on a flat pedal are far far warmer than any rigid cycling boot with a metal cleat.

oldfart

matoutandabout that reminds many moons ago in the days of Damart I bought a pair of gloves that had supposedly been up My Everest ? Complete rubbish! I sent them back said when they went up Everest they must have spent the whole time in a rucksack 🙄
    Ton yep thanks for your recommendations 👍

MoreCashThanDash

I use ski socks – just bought a pair of the 500 series Decathlon ones as they were on sale.

Obviously I keep the rest of me warm as well, but seems people that play in tbe snow know how to keep well. Decathlon ski base layers are much warmer than their cycling ones.

DickBarton

Glacier sock – https://keelaoutdoors.com/product/glacier-sock/

Something that sounds like it might be warmer (but may not be as long) – https://keelaoutdoors.com/product/primaloft-expedition-sock/

mudfish

You’re on the right track with larger boots. Thorrlo mountaineering socks are the warmest I’ve found. It’s the wool and kinda loopy knit. If they get wet trey still hold warmth.
    There’s even an over the knee fisherman’s “wader” version. Or maybe that’s discontinued.
    Pm me me if you want some I have a pair of the wader socks – still carded, unworn.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Nothing more to add other than what you are currently doing

ie shoes that have movement space in them to easily wiggle toes, proper wool socks, not the blended stuff

if proper cold I put shoes on the radiator first, makes a big difference starting off toasty. Spend as little time as possible with your foot touching the ground

StirlingCrispin

Is that £25 a pair ?
    Yikes!

I really rate Danish Endurance merino hiking socks.
    Come in at about £22 for 3 pairs.

z1ppy

Natrix, I’ve watched a number of reviews of different heated socks, and none suggest they are very good. The worst issue I can see is that the battery pack is is usually attached to the sock.. how that going to stay up when you cycling? I have cheap and cheerful chinese heated vest (it looks awful) but it work brilliantly, so I’m surprised they’ve not managed to get socks right yet.

mrlebowski
    Free Member
    hainman
    Free Member

I ride in Heated socks
    Take the proper chill out the tootsies,not piping hot bug far better than not being able to feel my feet at all
    Best socks I’ve owned were Smartwool merino socks,Luckilyni paid £7 in Tk Max bug they retailed at £25
    Proper chunky 85% merino

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@oldfart avoid anything with cotton in, sure you already do. Tin foil/reflective insoles good. My best recommendation is a pair of 100% (and they have to be 100%, don’t buy any Lycra or nylon mix crap) silk liner socks https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201294439841?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=xBUxYLxiQ36&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=W2ZfiyqDT6u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY Wear under some pure wool socks and don’t cinch your shoes or boots up too tight

slowoldman

but like i said, a womans 100 denier tight cut off at knee length and worn as a sock, is fantastic under a good wool sock.

Once upon a time when I was a site engineer I said to one of the chippies “Bloody cold this morning”. He replied (apply suitable regional accent) “I’m fine sir, I’ve got the wife’s tights on”.

Thorlo mountaineering socks are the warmest I’ve found.

My go to winter walking and climbing socks. I would have thought a bit thick for cycling though.

prettygreenparrot

On the tights question perhaps some stockings? Or pop socks? That’s if you don’t have a ready supply of part worn tights around.

I use a thin skiing sock liner under a pair of winter Seal Skinz. I’ve had some Helly Hansen ones for ages. Synthetic for the hard wearing and non-wetting features.

Keeping feet and toes dry and not squashing them seems to be better for warmth for me than fat socks and layering.

Merino socks seem to fall apart on me after a few outings.

Thorlo socks! Not had any of those in ages. Typically Bridgedale (yay), brasher, and recently I tried a pair of Darn Tough. Mostly for everyday wear.

qwerty
    Free Member

Pretty sure I have Reynaulds, my feet get painfully cold, it’s likely gonna severely limit my riding this winter as I’ve finally had enough of the pain.

Has anyone tried electric heated insoles? Some are wireless and have the battery within them, prices vary from £40 – £170! Do they work? Are they bulky?

MoreCashThanDash

That’s if you don’t have a ready supply of part worn tights around.

Check your washing lines, ladies….

zerocool

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs or anything but have you covered the basics as well?
    – keeping the core warm with appropriate base layers, jerseys, jackets and wind proof layers
    – Insulating your legs to keep warmth in
    – Windproof torso and legs
    – windproof feet
    – Keeping your heart rate up enough to keep the warm blood pumping to your extremities (as using the above to keep it warm until it gets there)
    – Big (waterproof and windproof) shoes so that you have lots of room for thick warm socks without them being squashed.
    – Eating enough to keep you fuelled throughout as your engine canny warm you up without fuel.
    – Flat pedals, no cleats and even composite pedals can make a difference.

– Lastly shoes/boots that are actually foot shaped and not pointy. It’s amazing how much warmer my feet are when my feet can be in their natural position and not in ‘normal’ shaped shoes.

Even switching to natural shaped shoes in day to day life can help with circulation/warmth problems as our feet were meant to be wide with splayed toes and years of cramming them into Nikes, dress shoes, etc can cause circulation problems.

What about biting the bullet and buying some heated socks. I know a few bikers (Sarah Moore from PB is one) who raves about how much difference they make. Not cheap but when the alternative is parking up the bike until March they might be worth it

@Prettygreenparrot
    – he could get garters to match his components or frame as well.

jonwe
    Free Member

Does anyone make spd cleats and cleat bolts out of something more thermally insulating than steel? My feet suffer in the winter after about an hour with a cold patch that starts right over the pedal.

I’m already employing most of the suggestions in this thread including core and leg insulation, winter boots, thermal insoles, overshoes…

oldfart

zerocool done all you mentioned apart from gone back to flats which I’m reluctant to do . 20 miles on the Mendips today everything fine apart from feet . They were in Shimano winter boots that have a fleecy insole and are a size bigger than normal and Showers Pass waterproof socks with a high merino content . I’ve been impressed with my Endura Primaloft gloves so I’m wondering if getting the equivalent socks might be the answer? Trouble is what works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for someone else, experimenting with various ideas could get expensive anday not work anyway 😔

sixtoes

Have you tried neoprene overshoes?

zerocool

@oldfart – I’d suggest heated socks. Knee high with a little rechargeable battery. Lenz Heat Sock 5.0 are what was recommended to me and by Sarah Moore from Pinkbike. Not cheap, but I guess it depends how much you want to ride and how often you’ll go out. A friend loves his and rides MTB or gravel 2 to 3 times a week. He’s also a dog walker for a living but not sure if he uses they for that. He bought his in 2021 and still going strong.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.