Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • Kate hoax call REALLY not funny anymore……
  • Cougar
    packer
    Free Member

the deceased was the nurse on reception, not the one who gave out confidential information.

Surely it’s the one on reception who was responsible though anyway? The nurse who gave out the details would have assumed that reception had ensured the call was authentic.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Careless talk really does cost lives…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

rudebwoy – Member
    whoa there, hold the horses, do we know anything other than a tragedy has occurred ?

I agree partially with rudebwoy here. This is a tragic event as I said on the original (now deleted thread), but beyond that we are moving into the grounds of supposition.

However, what do we know? Lets strip away the royal family context to start with. What code of conduct is it, that finds phoning up a hospital to enquire about the health of someone you have no connection with acceptable? Ditto, impersonating family members to achieve the same objective? It was not funny in any way originally, merely puerile and indefensible. Of course, the fact that the context DID involve the royal family was used by some (here and elsewhere) as a justification and a source of humour – and that is their choice. Its not a view that I share.

I hope the Aussie DJ’s already felt embarrassed about their behaviour and ashamed. The recordings and the re-presenting of the tape again suggests not. If a proven link between the hoax and today’s events is established, well they really do have to look at themselves.

What an appalling story.

project
    Free Member

druidh – Member

project »
    Thankfully prank calls are now banned on uk radio by ofcom.

Really? Robin Galloway does them every week on Forth FM.

Prank Phone CallsThe rules are a bit complex here, but in essence, if you do a ‘prank phone call’ you need the person’s permission to broadcast it before it goes out on air. Notably, this means that you cannot do them live.

And the above info was reiterated bt dj tony snell on bbc radio merseyside before he played back a recording of a prank call he had made previously a few years ago.

druidh
    Free Member

Makes sense. Although I’ve heard a couple that made me wonder if he actually had permission.

mudshark
    Free Member

the deceased was the nurse on reception, not the one who gave out confidential information.

Was she trained as a receptionist or just there to answer the phone in the absence of someone who would know how to deal with this sort of call properly?

user-removed
    Free Member

Death threats to the DJs from all the knee-jerk, mouth breathers all over their wall photos on Facebook. 🙁 All just very sad.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

R5L suggested that as it was 05:30, the call went directly to nurses’ station as no one would be on reception. But who knows?

dropoff

This a just a very very sad incident. I wouldn’t normally comment on a thread of this type but tbh this may be the time for the stw airmchair sleuths to give it a rest. No good can come of it 🙁

blurty

Sad sad sad

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Death threats to the DJs from all the knee-jerk, mouth breathers all over their wall photos on Facebook. All just very sad.

Yes but as much as death threats are terrible – lets not get all teary eyed about the Radio DJ’s just yet shall we? They’re alive. She isn’t. She may well have had underlying issues but we don’t know, and she was probably going to lose her job. The prank call is obviously what tipped her over the edge.

It’s a difficult one because it brings us to the question of whether the prank call was malicious, or just misplaced. They clearly thought it was a good joke and would be taken as such, but people looking after the Royal Family take that very seriously.

She would have been “The woman who’s mistake lead to a nurse giving out confidential and closely guarded medical information to the world”.

It’s a tragedy either way, and we should all be supportive of the poor womans family – her kids, her husband. Because those two radio DJ’s unwittingly tipped her over the edge.

nealglover
    Free Member

…and she was probably going to lose her job.

Where did you hear that ?

That’s doesn’t seem to be what the hospital spokesperson has suggested.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

That’s doesn’t seem to be what the hospital spokesperson has suggested.

Why would they in the wake of such a tragedy?

Why else would she commit suicide? I suppose it could have been unrelated but that’s a pretty massive coincidence the day after this happens doncha think?

I don’t know… I just thought they take the whole patient confidentiality thing VERY seriously because it is a cornerstone of the NHS and I guess democracy too. Even more so when a Royal is suffering severe morning sickness.

nealglover
    Free Member

So you “guessed” it then.

CountZero

Desperately, horribly sad. It’s heartbreaking for her work colleagues, and unbearably devastating for her family, especially at this time of year, which is all about family and being together. 🙁

scraprider
    Free Member

very sad.

glupton1976
    Free Member

lets put a line under the lambasting of gluptons comments, the way the bbc website does live news stories is to expand an article under the same url therefore details (or lack of) change quite quickly.

What did I miss? Have a lot of posts been deleted?

druidh
    Free Member

Mrs Saldanha, a duty nurse who was married with two children

****, ****, feckitty ****

patriotpro
    Free Member

The call was properly funny imo 😆 Well I thought so anyway.

The consequences (unforeseen) are not.

Harry_the_Spider

Tragic.

Maybe the media, all of them, should just leave them alone. This has become a story of the media making the news, not reporting on it.

Jenny Bond on 5LIVE was banging on about how disgusting the whole thing is then in the next sentence said that she had spent ages stood outside the hospital over the years. Perhaps if her and the others hadn’t spent so long outside the hospital and other places reporting in depth about sod all we wouldn’t have got to this place.

hora
    Free Member

The DJs were **** long before. Making fun on the back of someone in hospital.

Jase
    Free Member

Surely its 99% sure that had those **** not made that call a mother would not have taken her life and therefore they must take some respsonsibility.

Although I accept that Mrs Saldanha must have had other things on her mind to make push herseflf so far.

Coyote
    Free Member

Jenny Bond on 5LIVE was banging on about how disgusting the whole thing is then in the next sentence said that she had spent ages stood outside the hospital over the years. Perhaps if her and the others hadn’t spent so long outside the hospital and other places reporting in depth about sod all we wouldn’t have got to this place.

This. All caused by the media reporting on a non-event.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jenny Bond

Whenever the presenter introduces the next guest/reporter as a ‘royal watcher/commentator’ I cry a little.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-SGCxRUtXM[/video]

GJP
    Free Member

Although the far reaching consequences of the DJs could not be foreseen (assuming the events are related), they must have been aware of the potential for serious consequences for those who were taken in by the prank, whether that be an informal or written warning, disciplinary or possible dismissal.

Thus irrespective of any “cause and effect” argument their actions were malicious and they should be held accountable for those actions as should their superiors who presumably had editorial authority over any such “prank”.

Even before this tragic incident I found the DJ’s actions wholly deplorable and in poor taste. I have no time whatsoever for the Royal Family and the World’s apparent fanatical interest when a member of the Royal Family so much as farts, but I do sincerely wish they we can just let them live their personal lives in privacy.

So this puts me firmly in the “hang them out to dry camp”. Any experts on the extradition treaty between UK and Australia?

Tom-B
    Free Member

So two people do a prank call pretending to be the queen and prince Charles phone a hospital. Someone that wasn’t the person to dish out nfo about dear kate needing a drink ends up dead. I feel very sorry for all connected to her, but is it really the fault of the pranksters? Anyone with half a brain cell should’ve spotted that it was a fake….confusing an australian bloke making a barking sound with one of the queens corgis raises alarm bells!

chutney13
    Free Member

Vive la republique daily mail reader.

JCL
    Free Member

I’m simply astonished at the level of sympathy being shown here. Here we have a woman who was so ashamed to have given information regarding a member of the marvellous royal family that she has killed herself… I don’t know what is more puzzling to me, her actions or the public reaction.

Anyway in actual news worth getting angry and upset about;

“Ninety-two Tibetans have set themselves on fire to protest Chinese rule since 2009, with at least 75 dying from their injuries. The number of self-immolation cases have increased this year, with 28 alone in November 2012”

hora
    Free Member

We are all bolshy worldly men. Maybe she wasnt. Maybe it was a big thing to her-the shame. The pride that ths future Queen was there etc. Dont belittle this tragedy.

I found the hoax tasteless. What if Kate had a complication? Apparently this radio station has form.

JCL
    Free Member

I guess if you find royalty an absurd concept, as I do, you might find it all a bit ridiculous. Afterall, if it was’t for these pointless individuals and the moronic public fascination with them, the radio DJ’s wouldn’t have performed the stunt and woman wouldn’t have felt such pressure and anxiety to take her own life.

That’s the problem with putting people on pedestals. It makes people do silly things.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

totally agree with you JCL- but all needless deaths are that, but you are right ,the distorted ‘value’ attached to different types of tragedy are fairly sickening . This will get more ‘column’ inches than all the events in the rest of the world put together for the next day or two, plus all those ‘columnists’ doing their anal ysis !

nealglover
    Free Member

… Someone that wasn’t the person to dish out nfo about dear kate needing a drink…

Your clearly an idiot.

Or deliberately “misunderstanding” what can be a very serious medical condition.

Either way, it still makes you look like an idiot.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Nah mate i’m not. Thanks for the concern though.

Mark

If the personal abuse continues this thread will be closed and we will ban the abusers.

nealglover
    Free Member

I was purely pointing out how his stupid comment made him look to others.

My sister in law was hospitalised for 11 weeks because she “needed a drink” so when uninformed idiots pass comments such as that, I like to point out how that makes them look to people.

If that’s not allowed then I apologise (to the moderators) and I won’t do it again.

Am I the only one who doesn’t really give a flying **** about any of this?

Couldn’t care less about the Royals, so what if two crap DJ’s made a prank call and whilst it must be very sad for the family and friends of this nurse – for whatever reason she died….. it has nothing to do with me, I don’t know her and nothing to do with the whole affair has any concern for me in the slightest.

In other news, my daughter isn’t doing very well at learning Spanish at the moment. This concerns me a little bit.

grum
    Free Member

You’re not your (an idiot) – oh the ironing.

And TAFKASTR – I agree this story is blown out of all proportion due to the royal connection, and that there are often outpourings of false emotion about people not known personally, but really not even a flicker of compassion over someone taking their own life?

nealglover
    Free Member

, but really not even a flicker of compassion over someone taking their own life?

Was that question for me ?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I assume not given the comment was prefaced with

And TAFKASTR…..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Kate hoax call REALLY not funny anymore……’ is closed to new replies.