Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Kate Bush – only for Old People?!
  • IHN

So she’s going to be touring again, for the first time in 35 years. I never liked her back then, but then I was only ‘ickle. They’ve just played her on 6 Music and, despite me being officially middle-aged at the end of the month, I still don’t. Screechy whiney nonsense.

So, am I just not old enough still? Or is she a bit rubbish?

binners

Are you insane?!!! A bit rubbish? Kate Bush is a bloody genius!!! And 6 music played the best thing she’s ever done too. Dream of Sheep is utterly utterly gorgeous. Its sublime. And without doubt the finest song anyone has ever written about losing consciousness as you drown

Have a word with yourself

IHN

And 6 music played the best thing she’s ever done too.

I won’t deny that other stuff of hers I’ve heard is worse.

I just don’t get it.

sc-xc

Not a fan, don’t get it at all.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

not everyone’s cup of tea, especially when she is screechy (mostly when she was a youngun, I hated her then)

Now she’s grown up I think her last few albums have been sublime. Its sit and listen on a good hifi system or good headphones sort of music.

very very excited at the opportunity to see her live – an outrageously talented musician at the top of her game touring for the first time in 35 years? yes please!

TM

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

give her some fruitcake she’ll do anything !!!!her last album had songs about watching the washing go round in the machine- and it was called aerial

IHN

Kate Bush – only for Old People?!

Its sit and listen on a good hifi system or good headphones sort of music.

That’ll be a yes then.

plumber
    Free Member

give her some fruitcake she’ll do anything !!!!her last album had songs about watching the washing go round in the machine- and it was called aerial

You is a bit out of date innit

Anyway – I’m going to pay whatever it costs to see the genius of Kate – she’ll be way past here prime but **** it nobody ever thought that this would happen

oldboy
    Free Member

Yes, an absolute genius. “A woman’s work” on a decent hifi is just wonderful. Middle aged? My 25 year old GF is an even bigger fan than me.

derekfish
    Free Member

When you consider how old she was when she first kicked off, she was/is a genius, one of very few women who could have had me back then, before I was spoiled once ‘they’ the psycho’s who have plagued my life since had me away..

I had such a crush.. In my senility I’m still considering attending one of the concerts, probably won’t happen, matron unlikely to let me out..

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Kate Bush – only for Old People?!

Its sit and listen on a good hifi system or good headphones sort of music.

That’ll be a yes then.

excellent !

TM

MSP

For me she makes music where, if one of her songs come on the radio I really like it, but if I sit down and listen to a full album I lose interest.

CountZero

I had a friend beg me to take her to see Kate, she’s a huge fan, considering that Kate stopped touring five years before my friend was even born.
    Why this stupid obsession with the age of artists and their audience? If you don’t understand the appeal, fine, whatever, but to then seemingly sneer at those who do, by making comments like ‘only for old people’, Christ, have a talk with yourself, you just come across as patronising and sanctimonious.
    I guess you have be almost dead to like John Lee Hooker, then?
    Kate’s in her fifties, hardly old. When I saw Leonard Cohen last year, a man who’s nearly in his eighties, there were children in the audience not even into their teens, are you going to patronise them for liking his music?
    Just go back to your Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber and One Direction records, leave the real music to the grown ups.

emsz
    Free Member

Ha ha you need to pay attention to Kate Bush stuff, some of it is very X rated!!

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Don’t get what people hear when she’s sings cause all I hear is sound like a cat in a tumble dryer with a knackered bearing 😈

nbt

You;ve seen Nettle’s iPod then? 😉

edlong
    Free Member

So she’s going to be touring again..

Define “tour” – these are the dates in full:

26 August – London’s Eventim Apollo, Hammersmith
    27 August – London’s Eventim Apollo
    29 August – London’s Eventim Apollo
    30 August – London’s Eventim Apollo
    2 September – London’s Eventim Apollo
    3 September – London’s Eventim Apollo
    5 September – London’s Eventim Apollo
    6 September – London’s Eventim Apollo
    9 September – London’s Eventim Apollo
    10 September – London’s Eventim Apollo
    12 September – London’s Eventim Apollo
    13 September – London’s Eventim Apollo
    16 September – London’s Eventim Apollo
    17 September – London’s Eventim Apollo
    19 September – London’s Eventim Apollo

Edric64
    Free Member

I have been waiting for her to tour all my adult life .Wuthering Heights was the 2nd single I ever bought (out of three).Half my family want tickets

johnners
    Free Member

She does seem to have missed out a few parts of the UK with that schedule.

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve a copy of the Hammersmith concert from (I think) 1979. If you can watch that without cringeing you’re a stronger man than me!

oldboy
    Free Member

Kate Bush’s Tour of London 2014. What about us fans up north?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Anyway – I’m going to pay whatever it costs to see the genius of Kate – she’ll be way past here prime but **** it nobody ever thought that this would happen

+ 1 Ive got all her albums on CD now and we often have a Kate Bush morning in t’office! 😀

I used to have posters of her on my wall! 8)

PS: I am old though! 😳

Bunnyhop

I’m a teeny bit younger than Kate and remember thinking WOW! this girl is something else. However I can also see that she’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

This is not a go at you nettles but just lately I’m getting weary of chaps on here saying ” oooh have you seen Kylie lately, she’s showing her age”. Arrrggghh. Funnily women do grow old and will not always look like they did when 19. I was lucky enough to stand a few feet away from Kylie last year and she looked utterly amazing, beautiful in fact.

Ready for the same sort of comments about Kate too 🙄

bigh
    Free Member

I bloody love Kate Bush, every spring Aerial disc two comes out to boost the happy feelings (along with Riceboy by Jonsi and Alex)
    Im not old….ok I probably am 🙁

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

She can program a Fairlight CMI so she gets my respect. I always thought she was a bit of a fittie as a young lad.

ninfan
    Free Member

Kate is quite simply wonderful, once of the most creative and inspirational artists ever to come out of this country – will defo be trying to get tickets for me and my daughter!

DezB
    Free Member

I liked Cloudbusting and Running Up That Hill, decent pop songs. Don’t have any interest in old (older than me, she is!) pop artistes making comebacks. Plenty of new, more interesting stuff to go and see.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

A life long fan here, who care’s if she doesn’t tour, it’s Kate, I’d travel the world to see her live.

I’m off on holiday with nothing planned for those two weeks as well, so a mid week show looks to be on the cards, assuming I’m quick off the mark next Friday at 9.30am

DezB
    Free Member

How much are you prepared to pay to be disappointed (and then pretend you’re not cos you paid so much)?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Screechy whiney nonsense

The OP got it right. I remember seeing Wuthering Heights on the telly in 1977. It was screechy nonsense then and its still screechy nonsense.

Dave Gilmour is a hero of mine but I’ll never forgive him for discovering Kate Bush.

She’s one of those Marmite artists and I don’t like Marmite.

yossarian
    Free Member

Erratic and unconventional genius. I hope she just carries on doing stuff that she finds meaningful.

CountZero

So she’s going to be touring again..

Well, Katebush.com describe it as ‘Live on Stage’, it’s the ticket agencies who’ve decided to refer to it as a tour. She always said she wouldn’t tour again, this is a good compromise, a whole string of dates in one large venue, allowing people to travel, maybe stop over, and make a bigger event of it. Oddly enough, people are quite prepared to travel large distances to see a favourite artist; last year Goldfrapp played the Trinity in Bristol, an 800 capacity venue, as a warm-up to their Somerset House and Manchester orchestra gigs. There was a bloke in the queue who’d driven from Harwich to Bristol, just for the gig, and was driving straight back home again. I’ve been at others in Bristol where people have driven down from Liverpool, even come across from the continent.
    Which reminds me, Goldfrapp did a concert in Manchester with a full orchestra, but that’s the only one they did: what about the rest of the UK, huh?
    It’s no different to travelling to London for a musical or opera, nobody seems to worry because Turandot or Les Mis aren’t doing a fifty-date tour of the UK.
    It’s possibly that Kate might do a similar thing at other venues in the UK, but I wouldn’t place a bet on it; nobody ever expected her to even do one concert a year ago, let alone fifteen!

Cougar

Isn’t there a headline slot still free at Glastonbury? Might be a bit far North for her though…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Goldfrapp is the modern day Bush.

Alison Goldfrapp is ace.

Cougar

Goldfrapp did a concert in Manchester with a full orchestra, but that’s the only one they did: what about the rest of the UK, huh?

The difference is that Manchester is a lot closer to most of the rest of the country than London is.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Get a grip man! Just LOOK!!
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xckBwPdo1c[/video]

CountZero

DezB – Member
    How much are you prepared to pay to be disappointed (and then pretend you’re not cos you paid so much)?

Dez, you never fail to post up disparaging comments about other people’s musical tastes. I’m pretty damn sure nobody will be disappointed, one thing Ms Bush most certainly is is a perfectionist; she won’t do it if she can’t make it pretty much flawless. Her voice, like most women’s after having a child, has dropped down the range, and got richer and fuller, so the early stuff is going to sound different, but that’s true of any artist who isn’t a product of a TV reality show, and vanishes twelve months after their one album is released.
    I’m still going to see artists I first saw thirty-forty years ago, and I’ve very rarely been disappointed by anyone, in fact I can only think of two, in forty-four years of gig-going: John Martyn, who was so completely shitfaced on one occasion he was virtually incoherent, and Kat Bjelland’s Katastrophy Wife, which was just a car crash of a gig, a total, shambolic mess, a shame because I’d really enjoyed Babes In Toyland.

DezB
    Free Member

I post my opinions CountZero. Sme as other people do, have a look through the thread – what do I actually say about Kate Bush? Do other people slag her off?
    I never say “You shouldn’t like this because…”.
    Get over yourself.

[edit]If you can find me one single example of where I’ve been disparaging about other people’s taste, post it up. (Apart from the Phil Collins one (which is excusable!)

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I’d drink her Bath Watter!

DezB
    Free Member

Just go back to your Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber and One Direction records, leave the real music to the grown ups.

Now that’s what I call disparaging.
    Seems like you think your opinions are more valid than anyone else’s because, ooh look at you you’ve been to a lot of gigs (where you’ve ruined it for other people sticking your camera in the way, no doubt).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Kate Bush – only for Old People?!’ is closed to new replies.