Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Kaspersky AV – your opinions please?
  • Shakey
    Free Member

I have used most AV's apart from McAfee which I don't like and never have! I thought AVG was okay as it was free but then moved onto MSE and found that to be great.

A mate said that Kaspersky was now the best so bought the 2009 version from Amazon and did the free upgrade to 2010. It runs okay and haven't used it for long enough to really test its ability to detect virus's but I do think that my PC is running slower than it did with MSE.

Anybody else have any experiences/thoughts?

cp

kaspersky is very good at anti-virus – prob is one of the best you can use in terms of security. I've used it for a few years on a Vista machine which it ran fine on, no probs at all. Then put 2010 on a win 7 machine. Less than impressed – it destabilises the machine – programs hang and crash for no reason. have swithced it off and used same progs with no probs…

TractorFrog
    Free Member

Not had any issues with kaspersky AV, Windows XP & Windows 7. It can take a little bit of setting up (IT Tech for a job so really lock everything down) and if you have a Barclays Bank Account you can get it Free!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    allthepies
    Free Member

MSE here, does the job for me and is free.

Rio

If MSE works for you, why not stick with it? If you look at the detection rate/time-to-update figures you'll find that the major AV products tend to leapfrog each other so you might as well stick with what works for you rather than keep on installing the one that was best last time.

If you want to test its detection use eicar – always a good thing to do with new AV to make sure it's doing what its supposed to do.

cranberry
    Free Member

No problems here with Kaspersky IS on a Windows 7 machine. That said, the 2011 version was released recently, so it might be worth trying a ( free* ) upgrade.

* as long as you still have your license.

jeffl

Was using Kaspersky on xp. Then installed W7 and couldn't find the key for Kaspersky. So MSE went on. Did find the key eventually but haven't put Kaspersky back on as MSE is doing fine. MSE is only av whereas Kaspersky has firewall, mallware and so on, so it will run slower.

tony_m
    Free Member

Used to use McAfee, but got fed up of its bloatware tendencies so bought a copy of Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 from Amazon. Seems to work fine on a Vista machine (feel free to point and laugh… 😛 ), the only issue I have had was when I upgraded it to KIS 2010 – it seemed to slow the machine down while throwing up lots of pointless messages, plus I didn't take to the new user interface, so I reverted back to KIS 2009 and all has been well since.

gnusmas

I have run Kaspersky for a few years on my home computer and 3 work computers and a few mates have gone to it to and never had any problems with it, does the job as it should

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Kaspersky AV – your opinions please?’ is closed to new replies.