Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Karen: “Hi Police, this is Karen”
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t automatically let a car overtake me for the sake of a couple of minutes when out on the bike

Why not? How hard is it for you to slow down next to a gate or entrance for a few seconds?

the-muffin-man

I see two people trying to prove a point. Don’t think very highly of either of them.

And the trouble with YouTube is you can edit it to suit your purpose. Why not show the minutes of trundling up a hill with a car stuck behind you as well. He must have turned to look at some point to see where the car was.

FWIW I’ve always let faster vehicle past on country lanes.

Drac

I got as far as “You’ll be on YouTube later.”

Filed under both being dicks.

the-muffin-man

Nice of him to put the name of the lane on – it shows a load of gate-ways he could have popped into, for what, 5 or 10 seconds maybe. Then off again.

Still – as Drac says – both are dicks.

Dickyboy

Filed under both being dicks.

Still – as Drac says – both are dicks.

Please will someone think of the Dicks ☹️

nickc

I see two people trying to prove a point. Don’t think very highly of either of them.

sums it up for me, I don’t see why he stopped while she was calling the cops, he could’ve just cycled on past at that point, he clearly just did it for the views on his channel, which sort of makes him as bad as her.

julians
    Free Member

I’m with molgrips 100% on this one, I don’t see why any cyclist wouldn’t pull over and let a car past if there was no space and you were going to end up holding the car up for a while.

Yes, the cyclist doesn’t have to do that, but it’s the courteous thing to do.

I do it all the time when puffing up a single lane hill on my mountain bike, takes 10 seconds.

jekkyl

I find the best response to shouty people in cars is absolute silence or at the very most a raspberry.

butcher

It’s all gone a bit Daily Mail in here.

jezzep

Hiya,

I pull in, not because I have to, but out of courtesy, besides I don’t feel the need for an argument sometimes. This sort of thing is the reason why I avoid roads as much as I can.
    The other thing to remember is that angry people do very irrational things I for one like my bike and living in general.
    If someone wants to get angry project their anger and frustration at the world in general, it’s their problem, not mine.

JeZ

funkmasterp

Why not? How hard is it for you to slow down next to a gate or entrance for a few seconds?

You’ve answered the question already. How hard is it for the car driver to hang back for a bit? More than one car and if it was safe then I’d find somewhere to stop and let them by.

stumpyjon

She was a dick and I don’t think he should have pulled in as he was going a decent speed and the road widened out in less than a minute. He however was also a dick from the point he mentioned YouTube, he escalated it and no one won, next time she’ll probably try and squeeze past a cyclist and put them in a hedge rather than admit she was wrong. If hes really interested in sorting this sort of behaviour he should be sending video to the police, not posting on YouTube in righteous indignation. Plus his voice sounded really patronising and entitled but I don’t suppose we can hold that against him.

tails
    Free Member

She’s driving on the wrong side of the road and not looking. How can anyone defend her.

xora

Angry and behaving irrational person in 1 ton weapon. There is nothing much cyclist could do but get off the road. If they had continued I could see the driver deciding to apprehend them for the police! I certainly would not have been cycling past the stopped car. (although I would have been tempted to flee the other way when I saw it stopped in the distance).

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ve answered the question already. How hard is it for the car driver to hang back for a bit?

The local lane to the woods is all uphill and noone can get past unless I let them. It’s about 9 mins on a bike and maybe 4 at most in a car. So it’s 3 seconds of my time vs 5 minutes of theirs. That’s why I pull in.

funkmasterp

Then that makes sense in that instance and I would do the same. In 99.999999% of cases though it’s just drivers being impatient and exercising their perceived right to be on the road more than you. In my opinion of course

Cougar

As ever, It Depends.

If there’s a lot of traffic and you’re stopping every 10 seconds to let a car past (and losing all your momentum) then it’ll take you days to get anywhere. Laudable perhaps but silly, you shouldn’t have to be doing that. On the other hand, if you’ve been blowing it out of your arse for the last 15 minutes and have a tailback to the English Channel then that’s a dick move.

But yeah. She was in the wrong to start with but he deliberately escalated it for the clicks. As soon as they start shouting out the registration plate number you know you’ve got a YouTube vigilante cockbag on your hands.

DavidB
    Free Member

As soon as they start shouting out the registration plate number you know you’ve got a YouTube vigilante cockbag on your hands.

I don’t agree with this. I shout out reg number when using a camera as I cannot be sure the video has caught it. I don’t post my footage to YouTube it goes direct to the police who occasionally take action. I think your tarring of all helmet carrying cyclists who publish to YouTube as “cockbags” is disingenuous as many of them are simply trying to raise awareness.

Cougar

Fair. Let me rephrase that.

“As soon as they start shouting out the registration plate number on a video you’re watching on YouTube you know you’ve got a YouTube vigilante cockbag on your hands.”

If the driver has done something dangerous then it should go to the police, and indeed sticking it up in public could pervert any case there might be. If not then it probably shouldn’t be on YT in the first place. If the goal is to ‘raise awareness’ then they could do that and mute the bit where they’re shouting the registration rather than sticking it at the front of the video in inch-high* letters. That’s the sort of douchbaggery that leads to angry mobs vandalising houses belonging to pediatricians.

(* – YMMV depending on screen size)

molgrips
    Free Member

In 99.999999% of cases though it’s just drivers being impatient and exercising their perceived right to be on the road more than you.

For me they always hang back – you don’t have a choice on most of these lanes. I make eye contact when they arrive then I signal when I’m going to pull in or point to a spot further up the road. I’ve never had any aggro at all. On narrow lanes I don’t think anyone expects to make progress. What’s worse is the 1.5 car width well-sighted ones where drivers are doing 50mph and expect to blast past.

garage-dweller

On narrow lanes I don’t think anyone expects to make progress.

I can tell you don’t live in Hampshire or West Sussex. 🙂

I do agree with your two way courtesy point generally but that bit above is pure fantasy for us central Southerners. You have to get to something bordering on a narrow bridleway before some folk round here back off a touch.

funkmasterp

Same here in Macclesfield. I’ve had cars try and squeeze past on narrow lanes after belting up behind me at way over the speed limit. I’ve even had one man beeping the horn and shouting when I had no way to let him by. I don’t get hassle very often but there are a lot of staggeringly **** thick people out there

MoreCashThanDash

I find the best response to shouty people in cars is absolute silence or at the very most a raspberry.

Blowing them a kiss seems to confuse them, I find.

Aidy
    Free Member

I was just hit and run by a tanker (I’m, amazingly, okay). Kinda wish I’d been running a camera.

dyna-ti

I’ll also pull in, as an impatient driver might pick the wrong time to overtake or might force their way through. And lets face it, people tent to be impatient.

I also do this is the traffic is building up. Pull over and in only a couple of minutes the bulk of the traffic has cleared. It is safe to proceed. OR safer rather. Not that im holding them up, but just too many cars about weaving this way and that, all desperate to get to the next junction.

Ride safe, and to ride safe you make those decisions yourself, not moan later because you didn’t want to take the steps that would mean its safer or clearer or whatever.

The cyclist in this vid better be a professional boxer, because his mouth is going to get him into trouble, and it wont be some horsey type, it will be 3 builders after a long day. and no amount of… its on camera…. ive got it on camera…. do you,did you see this camera I’ve got…. blah blah…. WALLOP.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can tell you don’t live in Hampshire or West Sussex.

There’s a reason for that 🙂

I have had incredible road rides in Hampshire though. Endless empty lanes and beautiful countryside. Just not the part over towards Farnborough.

slowoldman

I had someone today try to overtake me in roadworks. Twice. I then placed my bike in a position to prevent further attempts. The driver probably thought I was being rude.

CountZero

I wouldn’t do that in a supermarket but I wouldn’t automatically let a car overtake me for the sake of a couple of minutes when out on the bike.

I would and always have done, except if I was on a bit of a down gradient and had a bit of speed, but on the flat, and particularly uphill, as soon as I see an opportunity I’d pull over – why not, it’s thirty seconds or so for me, and on an uphill, it’s a chance for me to avoid coughing a lung up!

FuzzyWuzzy

I don’t see why cyclists with a camera are any different to a driver with a dashcam, I could never be bothered setting up a camera for cycling but if I’d commuted by bike I probably would have.

dannyh
    Free Member

Unreasonable driver gets hump because not everyone immediately dives/drives/rides into a ditch to get out of HER way.

Cyclist with a bit of a smart mouth has a polite but to the point pop back.

Unreasonable driver is such an arrogant tool they can’t let it go.

In those circumstances I think a loud “**** off” would have sufficed as the cyclist’s opening gambit.

intheborders
    Free Member

And she parked on the road rather than the layby 2m earlier?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

a mere drop in the ocean of dumbf ery that is the whole video

tonyd

I have had incredible road rides in Hampshire though. Endless empty lanes and beautiful countryside. Just not the part over towards Farnborough.

Agree. I’m just north of Farnborough, in Crowthorne, and am doing a lot of road mileage at the moment. With GPS head units now, and route plotting on Strava, I can ride 100km + through some amazing countryside without looking to check a map, and see very little traffic. Going clockwise from the South Downs, all the way round to the Chilterns we are very fortunate.

Most drivers are pretty understanding too. From years of commuting, I think those are the most dangerous routes as everyone is in a rush.

antigee

Cougar
    …….She was in the wrong to start with but he deliberately escalated it for the clicks. As soon as they start shouting out the registration plate number you know you’ve got a YouTube vigilante cockbag on your hands.

cyclist with camera = vigilante (+cockbag)
    driver with camera = responsible motorist

the lady lost it with me on the extended drive along side windows down ignoring oncoming vehicles rider didn’t escalate that and he didn’t invite her to stop further up the road again halting other traffic…as a cyclist in that situation I wouldn’t be just riding on in front after the ranty pull in jump out…who escalated?
    ?

scotroutes

C’mon – which one of you was it? I don’t recognise the face from the Big Hitters article.

DezB
    Free Member

Proper laughing at that video! 😆

matt_outandabout

C’mon – which one of you was it?

Actually riding a bike? Clearly not an STW regular.

and I am laughing too!

Cougar

cyclist with camera = vigilante (+cockbag)
    driver with camera = responsible motorist

Please see my later clarification post. That isn’t what I meant.

funkmasterp

That video is funny. Grumpy cyclist and his friend stating the **** obvious man 😂

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Karen: “Hi Police, this is Karen”’ is closed to new replies.