Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Karen: “Hi Police, this is Karen”
  • SirHC

Instant ban

salad_dodger

Can’t believe I wasted six minutes of life watching that.

scotroutes

I don’t get it. Why not just ride on?

chrishc777
    Free Member

To be fair if I wasn’t in a rush I’d have stuck around to see how it went just out of disbelief

Cougar

There are no winners here.

I don’t get it. Why not just ride on?

Because that doesn’t sell newspapers generate YouTube content.

poah
    Free Member

How do you know her name was Karen?

julians
    Free Member

Yeah, both in the wrong there.

Cyclist should just have ridden on, woman shouldn’t have kicked off in the first place.

martymac

No way would i have stopped and waited for that.
    After her opening gambit, my first and only comment would have invited her to ‘get tae falkirk’
    Falkirk is a euphemism.

funkmasterp

Well that was weird.

DezB
    Free Member

Weird indeed. What a dozy woman, calling 999! “e’s gunna put me on youtoob!”
    Car pulls up next to me like that, its “**** off” and on with the day. He sounds like a right weirdo.

DT78
    Free Member

Problem is with unhinged drivers pulling alongside to have a shout is they could very well work themselves up into some sort of rage and deliberately try to run you off the road.

Had an incident with a group of us holding up a micra, who rev,d engine a b7nch and did a very close pass. To which one of our group gestured (don’t agree with but it’s understandable). Guy slammed his brakes on and made the guy in the front go into the back of his car on a national speed limit road,luckily he’d manage to scrub most of the speed by then. Claimed he needed to do an emergency stop because he wanted to see what the gesture was about….

Wish we’d had a camera in the group for that one. We should have got his plates for causing an accident but everyone was a bit shocked

I just try my best to ignore them, but silence can cause them to start shouting more….

There is a road in southampton, rownhams lane where I’ve had on several occasions drivers pull alongside me and have a rant for not using the shared path. The one with wet leaves / sticks / dogs / children not safe for riding at 25moh one…. I’ve given up and stopped riding that route. Forced to by selfish idiots

chrishc777
    Free Member

Problem is with unhinged drivers pulling alongside to have a shout is they could very well work themselves up into some sort of rage and deliberately try to run you off the road.

This

Had a car pull up next to me to have a go a while back, was two young lads, late 20s, same as me at the time. They had their moan, I just responded ‘piss off and read the highway code’ and carried on. The passenger shouted something back but I saw the driver go quiet, check his mirrors, look at me, check them again then glare at me. I could be wrong but my reading was that he was seriously considering running me off the road, there was something in the way he looked at me

Stay safe out there

Daffy

Sadly, in this situation after she’d wound her window down to shout at me, I’d have either stopped and had a drink/snack for 5min or turned to an alternate route.

Nothing good ever comes of being on the same piece of tarmac as these folks and no amount of discourse will change their views.

Just stay out of their way.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yep, had this myself once. BMW driver, looked like the marching powder enthusiast type. Made three passes at me with the window down shouting and growing ever more unhinged until finally beached his car on a grassy verge on an attempt to turn around for the fourth time and ended up chasing me on foot screaming that it was my fault he’d got his car stuck.

As for the dafty in the SUV, I can’t honestly say that in the cyclist’s position I wouldn’t have called her an idiot myself.

DezB
    Free Member

There must be a way people ride, behave, respond.. something! that attracts these weirdos. All the years commuting and riding, I can only recall one bloke stopping and getting out of his car to confront me. Funny thing was, apart from his weird way of not looking me in the eye while he was talking, a copper came out of the junction we were stood at and asked what was going on 😆
    So yeah, they’re out there, but must be easily avoided.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There must be a way people ride, behave, respond.. something! that attracts these weirdos

In the scenario I described above indeed there was – he was trying to pull out of a furniture store car park and I had the absolute audacity to be cycling along the road and thus caused him to slam his brakes on because he didn’t check to his right properly.

damascus
    Free Member

Why doesn’t the film start with the actual incident?

I’m guessing this bloke films all his rides and puts it on YouTube so why isn’t the important bit on the film?

I worry that people who film their rides are looking for trouble so they have some content as that makes them money.

Not excusing “Karen” but he got her back up straight away. He could have handled it better but then that wouldn’t have got a reaction and wouldn’t be interesting.

Personally I try and avoid conflict when I’m on my bike and they are driving a couple of tonnes of metal.

Passenger pushes cyclist off the road in Dublin mountains. Apparently identity of passengers are known and police investigating. from IdiotsInCars

Aidy
    Free Member

Why doesn’t the film start with the actual incident?

It more or less does, I reckon.

Starts with him on a narrow road, I reckon the actual “incident” that you’re looking for is that she appears to have expected him to get off the road and jump over the hedge to accommodate her.

DezB
    Free Member

people who film their rides are looking for trouble

Bingo!

Aidy
    Free Member

I don’t know – I don’t film my rides, but when I was commuting in London I was sorely tempted. Attitude of some drivers was shocking, and the police just weren’t interested.

I’m generally grateful that some cyclists are filming, and holding drivers a bit more accountable.

damascus
    Free Member

It more or less does, I reckon.

It starts with her pulling along side and starting an argument.

I’d like to see what he did that she was so upset about, he must have recorded it. Would be nice for context

when I was commuting in London I was sorely tempted

Yes, I think if I rode in London I’d probably film too. I guess it just takes one incident to make you think I wish I filmed that. I have a dashcam on my van, I guess it’s the same.

sillysilly
    Free Member

I used to think this until I tried riding more miles…

I’ve had:

Insurance scam pedestrians jump out on me.

Dozy Uber Drivers turning left and mounting curb by up to a foot requiring me to bunny hop.

Both could easily turn out worse, experiencing things like that makes me think I should be filming.

Aidy
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve had:

Pedestrians running into me.

Drivers running me off the road (to the extent that they mounted the kerb).

Clipped by countless wing mirrors.

Pushed at roundabouts/junctions (once when I was *obviously* waiting for the ambulance with its sirens on to go around).

Been knocked off and then assaulted.

Various hit and runs.

I mean, that’s over 30k commuting miles, the relative rate of incident is pretty low, but yeah – I really get camera usage.

sirromj

I ride bikes, I commuted by bikes for over six years until furloughed and now working from home. But I just can’t be bothered to watch this stuff, six minutes of utter bilge if the first 30s are anything to go by. At least Ronnie Pickering gave us a good laugh.

slowoldman

I’m guessing this bloke films all his rides and puts it on YouTube so why isn’t the important bit on the film?

I understand from twitter that is indeed the case. It would be nice to see what had happened to elicit the “you were rude” comment. Couldn’t just have been holding her up could it?

Aidy
    Free Member

Couldn’t just have been holding her up could it?

I’ve definitely had drivers shout at me solely because the road was too narrow for them to pass me.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve definitely had drivers shout at me solely because the road was too narrow for them to pass me.

When the road is too narrow for drivers to pass me, I usually pull over at a convenient spot. It’s not always immediately but I don’t like to hold people up.

Aidy
    Free Member

When the road is too narrow for drivers to pass me, I usually pull over at a convenient spot. It’s not always immediately but I don’t like to hold people up.

Me too. But sometimes a convenient spot isn’t soon enough for drivers.

Honestly, for a cycling forum, I’m kinda shocked that people think that the cyclist must have done something to warrant the reaction.

pondo

That’s fine, I have too, but you don’t have to and it shouldn’t be expected.

garage-dweller

Likewise. Some people in life are total ******* many of that subgroup drive on pure statistics.

That lady’s journey must not have been very urgent for her to have time to stop and have a chat with the chap on the bike.

There’s some shocking driving there though that wants reporting. There’s the driving alongside looking sideways and concentrating on an argument instead of actually watching the road while driving on the wrong side of it, there’s the mobile phone use too and then the general attitude.

I’m not a big fan of you tube warriors hammering people for the kind of minor (and I emphasise minor) infractions that many of us experience regularly that are an uncomfortable inconvenience rather than life threatening but this kind of entitled half wittery crack on.

Superficial
    Free Member

That’s a kind of victim shaming though isn’t it?

I had an accident a year ago where someone intentionally rammed me. It took a year of stressful wrangling with insurers before I got the payout for my mashed bike. If I’d had a camera, there would have been no debate and the guy would additionally have the criminal record he deserves. So yeah, I wish I had a camera – and I’m certainly not looking for trouble.

We all know there are some arseholes on the roads. If some of them could be brought to justice we’d (us cyclists) all be better off. I love the idea that road ragers might one day need to justify their actions to the police, so as far as I’m concerned, the more cyclists recording and reporting such incidents, the better.

Uploading to YouTube is a different matter, though perhaps that woman (and maybe some of her friends) will see how insane her actions were and make them pause for thought next time. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

All that being said, the guy in the video does sound a bit annoying 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s fine, I have too, but you don’t have to and it shouldn’t be expected.

I expect it. Just like I expect other motorists to let me out of junctions sometimes (which they don’t have to) or to make an effort at doing the reversing on lanes (which they also don’t have to). We should expect courtesy and consideration from each other.

If I were driving on a lane and a cyclist held me up for several minutes on some climb, riding past ample opportunity to simply ease off and let me past, I’d be a bit annoyed. Wouldn’t you? I wouldn’t expect a rider to stop or significantly inconvenience themselves though, even though some have.

funkmasterp

I wouldn’t expect them to pull over, especially on a climb. Why should they? If there were a few cars behind me when cycling and on a flat section then yeah, I’d pull over or wave them past when safe to do so if I had adequate sight lines. I don’t think I’ve ever been annoyed or inconvenienced by a cyclist. Cars are pretty comfortable places to be. A weather proof mobile arm chair with music.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Seems the norm in this day and age people just want to be a victim and complain. I guess it gives them kudos on whatever social media channels they contribute. If I were the cyclist I would have just let it lie, if I were the driver I would have just let it lie. Bt if you want to be victim and looking for every opportunity to be one then I guess this video shows how people on both sides can claim they are a victim.

Life is too short, just let it lie and crack on. Just like the dog thread.

DavidB
    Free Member

Life is too short, just let it lie and crack on. Just like the dog thread.

What an utter load of bollocks

The guy did just that but she had to make the last point and put him at risk with her filming and potential incitement of passing motorists. If we don’t stand up for our rights on the road and just give in the tossers win.

DezB
    Free Member

That’s a kind of victim shaming though isn’t it?

Nah, the only person shamed by such a statement is the person who writes it.
    It’s just dense, in a number of ways.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The levels of pig thick arrogance in this country are off the charts. Imagine the carnage if British people had guns!

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect them to pull over, especially on a climb. Why should they?

Because we live together in a society, and a certain amount of being nice to each other is required to help everyone live a happier life. I wouldn’t want someone to wait 3 or 5 minutes for me to cover myself in Strava mediocrity, why would I? If you were standing in a supermarket checkout queue and spent 5 minutes choosing a chocolate bar whilst people were behind you, would that be okay too? Or would you go ‘oh sorry mate, I’m taking my time here why don’t you go through’ ? Almost certainly the latter, as would most people – so why do any different whilst cycling?

nickjb
    Free Member

It is interesting how the rules of politeness go out the window when it comes to cycling. I’m surrounded by Victorian residential streets. Lots of parked cars making it one lane. When two cars approach each other they fall over themselves, flashing away to let the other one through. Try it on a bike and they just drive straight at you, and keep coming. You almost never get let out at junctions when on a bike, yet this is pretty standard when in a car. But, as molgrips says, that goes both ways. Sometimes its polite to let a car go even if you don’t have to.

funkmasterp

I wouldn’t do that in a supermarket but I wouldn’t automatically let a car overtake me for the sake of a couple of minutes when out on the bike. Equally I wouldn’t expect a cyclist, horse rider or any other slower moving person to do the same for me whilst driving. Tractor drivers can **** off though as they’re clearly doing it on purpose, the bastards.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Karen: “Hi Police, this is Karen”’ is closed to new replies.