Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kamloops, where to stay?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Anyone got some recommendations for places to stay at Kamloops? Looking for a condo type set up near the trails, ideally no driving required.

Or, just some tips on the more interesting neighbourhood.

Thanks

survivor

Cowboy country. Bit weird for an outsider.

Was there years ago on a tour but we just had a night in a motel before moving on to Whistler. Went for a few beers in town and we were surrounded by denim,check shirts,cowboy boots and hats…. Don’t try and take photos in a piss taking way. They definitely don’t like that!

mrwhyte
    Free Member

While you are there, head to the Noble Pig. Good food, good beer!

markgraylish
    Free Member

near the trails

What trails? And what bikes?

There are very few legal trails in Kamloops, except a spiders web of xc trails in Kenna Cartwright park and the relatively small bike ranch (big bike territory)

(There are, however, many other trails of questionable legality!)

If you’re on big bikes and using the bike ranch you want to be in the Rose hill or Valley view areas.

If you’re on xc bikes, Pineview or Aberdeen areas would be more useful.
    Valley view is alongside railway and highway so somewhat noisy, light industrial. The other areas are mostly residential.

There are loads of motels along the Trans Canada Hwy and quite a few in town near the railway station (also near the Noble Pig pub).

For rental accommodation, try VRBO

Cars will allow you to get out to other areas though…

What time of year will you be there?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Perhaps more importantly.. why Kamloops. Given you’ll (probably) have landed in either Calgary or Vancouver and will have driven past lots of good mountain biking in either case to get there….

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

We’ve got 7 weeks , so looking at several riding areas in Canada, including Nelson, Fernie and Whistler. Kamloops features in more than a few riding films, so assumed it was worth a look.

I’m a one bike does it all guy, but happy in bike parks or xc. Definitely open to other suggestions though, including over the border into Montana and Washington.

jedi

we stayed on top of harper mountain . outdoors around a campfire

scottfitz
    Free Member

Also Revelstoke area also looks ace but I have only passed though there not ridden but riding looks very good.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/revelstoke/

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/mt-cartier/photos/

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/frisby-ridge/photos/

davosaurusrex

I miss Fernie. Proper jealous.

plumber
    Free Member

Highly recommend – Nelson BC, Fernie (not the ski hill) Golden, Jumping pound ridge, (drumheller if you fancy something totally different)

vmgscot

We managed to squeeze in Squamish, Whistler, Kamloops, Revelstoke and Rossland last year in 3 weeks. Definitely recommend Revelstoke (great laid-back vibe) if you can add it in and try the helibiking off Mt Cartier if you have the dosh.

We did a day at Kamloops but just criss-crossed Kenna Cartright trails rather than getting to the ranch. Ate our sandwiches while watching crims in orange jump suits out at the prison working hard across the fence – that was a bit strange.

My favourite place to ride was Squamish.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, getting excited to be riding somewhere new. We’ve got a week with Sacred Rides so can get some tips from them too.

_Ben_
    Free Member

Sun Peaks is about an hour away from Kamloops and has plenty of places to stay.

https://www.sunpeaksresort.com/bike-hike/bike/explore-biking

sweaman2
    Free Member

Ah – I see on Kamloops. Where are Sacred rides taking you?

With 7 weeks you’ve got plenty of time 😀 but Kamloops probably still wouldn’t be on my list. As alluded to above a lot of the trails are on private land and / or are very cheeky. So the ability to just find good riding is limited without lots of local knowledge. For me the places I’d stay are:

This assumes you’re landing in Calgary and leaving from Vancouver.

Calgary (because I live here) for 3/4 days – Shuttling on Moose; JumpingPound Coxhill. Prairie view – Jewel – Razors (if you’re up for it); West Bragg mellow.

Fernie – Easily 4 or 5 days of riding.

Nelson – Easily a few days

Rossland – 7 summits trail and a couple of days at least.

Revelstoke – Martha Creek; Mount Cartier if $$$$ ; A day XC in Mount Macpherson / Boulder Mountain ; Keystone Standard if the weather is good.

Kelowna and maybe a couple of days using the lifts at Sun Valley.

The head over to North Shore Vancouver, Squamish (easily a week) and a few days in Whistler and perhaps Pemberton.

If you’ve got the time / legs Coast Gravity park.

That list would keep me happy / occupied for a summer… 😀

Spend some time on Here

markgraylish
    Free Member

Just an FYI, if you’re riding in the middle of summer, both Kamloops and Kelowna can be insanely hot (as in +40c) so be prepared to ride very early in the day…

The other places you mention you’re more likely higher or under thicker tree cover.

Sounds like a great trip

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kamloops, where to stay?’ is closed to new replies.