Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Kamado BBQ – who has one?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Looking for a new BBQ and these look pretty cool. Originally found the Aldi version which looks good comparing the price to the premium brands.

But then found them Kamado Joe Jr. It’s for just the wife and I, so thinking that might be big enough (two level cooking) and you gain the portability for travel and storage etc.

toby1

There’s a forum called CountryWoodSmoke (facebook and online) there’s loads of useful info on there. Essentially everyone has gone mad for the little Aldi one this week, but it is just about big enough for 2 steaks and has no heat deflector (so not great for slow and low).

I don’t have a Kamado, but given the weight I’m not sure I would bother, the weber summit or broil king keg are more interesting to me.

Rik
    Free Member

Cheers – anybody else got one?

yessuz
    Free Member

I have Kamado grill.
    Best purchase in the BBQ field so far.

I went with those which are sold for like 480 on ebay, but if I had have a chance to buy one from Aldi – I would buy that one.

There is absolutelly no reason to go for kamado joe or BGE as they cost twice as much for the same.

Another option is to go with Kamado Bono – they have ton of accessories when you purchase and superb, lifetime warranty.

Other than that – all kamado grills, from any brand, will do exactly same thing.

I would not go for that very small from Lidl as it does not make much sense.

Oh, and never ever use any liquid lighter 🙂

shinton
    Free Member

Funnily enough I noticed a stack of these at the entrance to Morrisons this lunchtime. £175 but no idea what they are like.

Gotama
    Free Member

Rik re your comment re the junior and travel….you realise it weighs 31kg don’t you? So not that portable.

bakey

I’m new to Kamado cooking, but now have both the Aldi and Lidl ones…

So far the larger Aldi kamado has made some absolutely outstanding smoked pulled pork, chicken wings and belly pork. Ultra stable temperature wise and very economic with the charcoal (after a 10 hour burn, there was still 30% or so left). The small Lidl one is great too, have just used it for steak and burgers so far and is perfect for two people – it needs a heat deflector plate for low and slow cooking really. The Aldi one is 81kgs and the Lidl one 21Kgs – so the little one is coming camping with us

Rik
    Free Member

Thanks Gotama, didn’t expect to carry it around. More put it in shed at the end of the summer (down some steps) or put it in the back of the van and carry once at the beginning of a week away and then back in at the end.

Rik
    Free Member

It’s the 10 hour burns that def. interest more than BBQing burgers

lucien

Agreed with  most of what has come before, and a few observations from owning and using one over the last year or so.

It’s not portable, thats it – we’ve got a small one, and even with that its not portable.

Its taken a few goes of stuff to learn how to use it and get it right – it does way more than cook burgers.  If thats what you want it for, get something else.  Done a few “long and slow” joints, and it’s be bloody amazing

It won’t hold a high heat for ages to give you a proper chargrill as the whole thing gets so hot – ie it works like a kiln.

Size wise, get one that will do a whole cook including corn / veg if thats what you like

As with all charcoal BBQs it takes a while to light and heat up – some careful planning needed as to when you eat etc.

Enjoy, food taste and texture is amazing

L

toby1

This thread has got me seriously thinking about a Kamado again, cost versus amount of use of the biggest problem for me though. The Broil king does look like a decent unit though, off to youtube for some annoying reviews I go!

Rik
    Free Member

Broil king – looks to solve the supposed fragility of the ceramics

yessuz
    Free Member

It is really not that often when ceracics cracks, to be fair.
    Broil King is metallic, no heat retention gas bbq.

These are two very different types of bbq

toby1

@yessuz, I was on about the Keg, so not the general gasser style they do.

dallas95
    Free Member

I ordered the Aldi one today. Figured at £350 it’s worth a punt. I have been wanting a bbq/smoker to replace my knackered kettle bbq and pitmaster on youtube uses kamado joe’s so they were on my radar. But a grand is hard to justify. Anyone know how long it takes Aldi to deliver after ordering?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Kamado BBQ – who has one?’ is closed to new replies.