Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Kale
  • molgrips
    Free Member

How to make it nice? Apart from deep frying it, which works.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member
    ton

sliced very thinly. crush some garlic and fry off in oil and butter, throw kale in and when nearly cooked put a spoon of honey in the finish.

REMEMBER TO TAKE THE THICK WOODY STEMS OFF THE KALE.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Tear the leaves, don’t cut them.
    Melt some butter in a saucepan on a low heat
    Put the kale in and cover until the leaves wilt.
    Add seasoning to taste.
    Take the pan off the heat.
    Empty it into the bin
    Buy chips.

stuey
    Free Member

Add/remove the caterpillars ‘to taste’.

DrJ

Massage it with olive oil…

Also lemon seems to make it less woody. See Anna Jones books for recipes

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

As with all things. Cook in butter, add bacon. There is NOTHING for which this life hack cooking tip doesn’t work.

If you’re vegetarian swap bacon for garlic and black pepper.

If you’re vegan I imagine sesame oil would work in place of butter suck it up sunshine

Jamie
    Free Member

Whoever is the lobbyists for the kale industry are bloody geniuses.

BoardinBob

Don’t boil it. Pretty rank.

My favourite is tossed in olive oil and sea salt then roasted for 10 minutes at 200 degress

or pan fried with butter, sea salt and a good glug of balsamic vineger

soobalias
    Free Member

chop fine and fry with chilli, till its crispy seaweed.
    or
    put it in a smoothie

the-muffin-man

How to make it nice?

Just eat other veg. There is no way to make Kale edible.

I blame Monty Don and the hour long Gardeners World – now they have an extra half hour to fill they push this sort of rubbish on gullible people! 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

I like it but I find I prefer it with peppery sauces because it has that (albeit very mild) peppery flavour. So quick blast in the pan with some butter/olive oil then serve with sirloin and pepper sauce.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Whoever is the lobbyists for the kale industry are bloody geniuses

If you eat enough of it you’ll be able to play for Accrington Stanley I’m told.

wwaswas

I put ours straight in the composter. Several years later we get some nice rhubarb.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Olive oil, red onions, garlic, chilli, bacon (in that order at 1 minute intervals into a hot wok).

Kale (1 minute to wilt slightly)

Half pint of boiling stock (chicken or ham/bacon), high enough heat to boil off most of the stock in 4-5 minutes.

Or skip the stock and stir fry for a couple of minutes before adding a big pour of balsamic vinegar and continuing to sir fry until caramelized.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

In the traditional English way as bubble and squeak, of course; with olive oil, garlic and fried, finely-sliced shallots. Oh, and include sweet potato and carrot in the mash.

Served with a bottle of cider that’s probably your 5-a-day.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

My kids will fight over these kale crisps and have declared them better than chips.

200g kale
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 garlic clove
    leaves from a sprig of fresh rosemary
    2 tbsp olive oil

preheat oven to 120C.

cut the kale from its stems, wash well, dry thoroughly (really important) salad spinner works well.

Grind the salt garlic and rosemary and oil to a paste in pestle and mortar.

Massage the oily mixture into every dimple of the kale. Spread out on a single layer on two lightly oiled large baking trays and bake for 30 minutes.

footflaps

My favourite Kale recipe..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wCQ7kPFtIo[/video]

binners
    slowster
    Free Member
    johnners
    Free Member

Boil it. As a general rule I don’t think it’s a good idea for water to touch greens, preferring to steam, stir fry or microwave but you have to show kale who’s boss. Once you’ve boiled it for 5 minutes or so you can drain it and do something to make it taste nice, like stir frying with chili and garlic or tossing it with some butter and lemon juice.

But boil it first.

Shackleton

Handfull of raw destemmed kale, 3-4 bits of sundried tomato, glug of olive oil, squeeze of lemon juice, salt, pepper and blitz into a rough paste.

Use as a dip or in sandwiches. Works well with hummus and carrots cooked in oil for 10 minutes. Keeps well in the fridge.

binners

You know it’s Friday, right Molly?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOsYykqvghY[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

Its edible in curry

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I wanted something to have at breakfast time that’s quick and simple. So I guess chopping the bacon and frying up with kale, salt pepper would be good to try.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I steam Kale then shred it and add it to mashed potatoes. Usually then with a nice bit of cod on top, then a poached egg on top of that.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If you have to try that hard to make something nice or even passable then maybe, just maybe we were not intended to eat it. The only possible benefit of Kale is it’s healthy, but you sort of destroy that when you fry in butter and bacon. There are plenty of lovely veggies around that need nothing more than a splash of olive oil, a twist of pepper and a sprinkling of salt and a bit of time in the oven. Why bother with hopless cases like Kale. I give it to the guinea pigs and have something else instead, some nice broccoli perhaps – or just the butter and bacon and cut out the middle man.

jimjam
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member

If you have to try that hard to make something nice or even passable then maybe, just maybe we were not intended to eat it.

I think it tastes fine. And there are plenty of things that are less palatable before being prepared in some way.

The only possible benefit of Kale is it’s healthy, but you sort of destroy that when you fry in butter and bacon.

Not necessarily.

lunge

As mentioned above, fry with bacon, pepper and butter. Lemon juice works too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s cow/sheep food.

molgrips
    Free Member

The only possible benefit of Kale is it’s healthy, but you sort of destroy that when you fry in butter and bacon.

No, it’s full of nutrients that don’t disappear when you put it near bacon.

thecaptain
    Free Member

sliced very thinly. crush some garlic and fry off in oil and butter, throw kale in and when nearly cooked put a spoon of honey in the finish throw it out and buy some chips.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Kale

It’s short for….Bob.

somafunk

I must be a weird deviant as i love kale, steamed for a few minutes with loads of black pepper and a healthy amount of butter over it – i find it quite easy to polish off a whole pack.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

^^ now imagine that without the butter. Revolting isn’t it? Ergo you like butter.

To prove this, try the same with a hot potato, better with the butter isn’t it?

A ryvita? Inedible without a huge wedge of butter.

Porridge, toast, the list goes on.

scotroutes

Kale. Isn’t that what food eats?

johnners
    Free Member

^^ now imagine that without the butter. Revolting isn’t it? Ergo you like butter.

To prove this, try the same with a hot potato, better with the butter isn’t it?

A ryvita? Inedible without a huge wedge of butter.

Porridge, toast, the list goes on.

Now you hang on just a minute here. Porridge? You put butter on porridge?

theotherjonv

I too just had a WTF moment there.

But, it’s saturday tomorrow, i have porridge, I have butter……..

BobaFatt
    Free Member

[list][*]Remove Kale from artisan locally sourced Waitrose bag for life[/*]
    [*]Throw Kale in bucket/food recycling bin[/*]
    [*]Pick up keys[/*]
    [*]Drive to chippy[/*]
    [*]Bring back more food than you need, preferably doused in broon sauce[/*]
    [*]Watch Die Hard[/*]
    [*]Hate yourself for having no self control/congratulate self as balls grow back[/*]
    [*]repeat until death[/*][/list]

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It does depend if i made the aforementioned porridge with water or double cream in honesty.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Kale’ is closed to new replies.