Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Just witnessed driver left hook a cyclist
  • retro83
    Free Member

franksinatra

I bet she doesn’t have insurance. Bloody cyclists

also no hi-vis, and besides undertaking is illegal so its her fault

5lab

Just curious why that makes any difference at all. Nobody can fiddle with the evidence.

I guess if it ends up going viral, it makes it harder to find jurors who haven’t seen it and are therefore impartial?

Driver stopped, so they’re not a complete ****. Worth reporting anyway

Cougar

undertaking is illegal

No it isn’t. And she didn’t anyway, did she?

tthew

Just curious why that makes any difference at all. Nobody can fiddle with the evidence.

Not exactly sure, it was Cheshire police I was reporting to, disappointing different forces don’t seem to follow the same protocol.

I imagine it’s to do with influencing any trial process, a bit like what the news media is allowed to report before verdicts. I know it’s very unlikely to make a difference in these cases. It’s been about a year since I reported that stupidity, which was the cut off point. I’ll post it up here later for your entertainment.

dashed
    Free Member

As above – submitted to Greater Manchester Police. Nothing on their site about not sharing on social media and actually asks for the link of where the video is hosted online.

DezB
    Free Member

No it isn’t. And she didn’t anyway, did she?

Obviously said in jest.

Cougar

Well, yes.

funkmasterp

I thought it was a standard, well-recognised term (certainly on a bike forum!) Unless folk are just being obtuse of course, but that’d never happen on here…

The other page is the cycling one. This is the one populated by 50% argumentative bastards. I’m convinced a lot of them have never even ridden a bike and failed to get on the debating team as children or something.

Cougar

No it isn’t.

mrchrispy

standard of driving around there is only slightly worse than fallowfield…..so utter sh**e in other words. Please submit, there was absolutely no reason that driver shouldn’t have seen the cyclist.

imnotverygood

Judging by the way the car held back for so long before left hooking I would guess this is extreme incompetence (“but so I was indicating and needed to turn left”) rather than a failure to see.

spooky_b329

So the first clip is unfortunate but the typical lack of over-shoulder blind spot check, and the cyclist probably was aware of what was about to happen.

Second incident, no excuse for not knowing the cyclist was there. I’d be tempted to see if you can track the cyclist down (same time Monday perhaps?) Just imagine that incident but the cyclist puts in a couple of strong pedal strokes to try and get around the car and you have the potential for a horrible ‘car drives over cyclist’ scenario.

bensales
    Free Member

Judging by the way the car held back for so long before left hooking I would guess this is extreme incompetence (“but so I was indicating and needed to turn left”) rather than a failure to see.

I think it was a failure to see. The ‘body language’ of that car was not one that was hanging back in order to overtake the cyclist, they were going slow because they were looking for somewhere. I suspect they were closely watching a satnav for the turning they wanted, put the indicator on when the nav said ‘100m to go’, and then just turned when they were alongside the junction and it lined up on the map. At that point, the cyclist was in their blindspot, plus they probably hadn’t even seen her earlier due to looking at the nav.

Cougar

Let’s be honest, we’re all just speculating. It might just be a case of “I’ve overtaken that cyclist so they’re behind me now” and immediately forgetting about them.

When you learn to ride a motorbike they teach you to do a shoulder-check directly before making this sort of turn, they call it a “lifesaver.” Why it’s not taught on the car test I do not know, it’d go a long way to stopping this sort of incident from happening. If the driver had checked left before committing to the turn they’d have seen the cyclist.

dashed
    Free Member

Driver was distracted looking for her teenage daughter outside school – total incompetence rather than aggression. I spoke to her about it afterwards. Horrible to watch as I could see it unfolding. Luckily it was minor – a metre either way could have been much more significant.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

worth sending to police

Why even ask? You’ve go nothing to lose. Terrifying.

nick1962
    Free Member

As you appeared to have stopped was there any reason you didn’tjust mention to the cyclist that you had it on dashcam and witnessed it?

scaredypants

I don’t see a punch on there at all

scaredypants

😉

roger_mellie

No it isn’t.

Yes it is 😉

DezB
    Free Member

total incompetence rather than aggression

They really are the worst ones. Because they just don’t know how dangerous they are.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Never heard of it being referred to as a left hook either, genuinely thought this was a topic where punches got thrown.

Learn something every day I suppose.

twistedpencil

Let me know if you get anywhere with it, I’ve loaded three incidents in the last twelve months and heard nowt about any of them. Even just knowing that the reg has been entered into the anpr system as an incident should they get stopped for something else would be reassuring.

To be fair, I suspect that the person looking after this is overwhelmed and under resourced but even a token acknowledgement would be nice.

Nearly got taken out by a taxi this morning and debated uploading it, but thought not worth the hassle, also the following two minutes of me ranting isn’t something I’m proud of….

reluctantjumper

Just filled in the GMP forms and it asks for the location of where it’s hosted online – nothing about making it private or deleting it etc. Obviously if they ask I’ll take it down straight away.

Had to do a similar thing after I’d recorded a car left hooking a motorbike in Bristol last year, police asked for a link to the footage and I was asked to keep a hard copy that could be used as evidence. I just pulled the memory card and put in a new one, they now have it and it’s going to court sometime after Easter. Once they had decided to press charges on the car driver I was asked to take the public version down. If there was any rule about any footage not being in the public domain to be admissible as evidence then any footage used on the news etc would be declined. The officer I spoke to just wanted an unedited version available to them.

dashed
    Free Member

nick1962

As you appeared to have stopped was there any reason you didn’tjust mention to the cyclist that you had it on dashcam and witnessed it?

Spoke to the cyclist and checked she was as ok, told her I had dashcam footage but she said she was fine and just wanted to get on her way. I wonder if it was a bit of shock and she got home and wished she’d taken me up on it. Will never know I guess. Anyway, as I say, uploaded and see if anything happens.

pdw
    Free Member

It’s strange that left hooking someone with a punch is a criminal offence but left hooking with a ton of metal is an accident.

I don’t dispute that our legal system is shockingly lenient towards driving offences, but there is the small matter of intent in the comparison that you make.

MoreCashThanDash

Left hooking someone with a car can also be a crime.

Left hooking someone with a punch is not always followed up and prosecuted by the Police as much as it should be.

Honestly, the “poor us” attitude on here sometimes gets a little tiresome at times.

DezB
    Free Member

but there is the small matter of intent in the comparison that you make.

Ah, so it is fine to smash someone with your car as long as you didn’t mean to. Cool.

RustyNissanPrairie

I think the issue everyone is missing with all this left hook talk is……was she fit?

maccruiskeen

Unless they had a really tiny car or exceptionally long arms

“left turn Clyde”

convert

With a left hook punch you come in from the left and swing in to the right to make contact.

Hitting a cyclist like that should be called a right hook.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Just witnessed driver left hook a cyclist’ is closed to new replies.