Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Just witnessed driver left hook a cyclist
  • dashed
    Free Member

Right in front of me, horrible to watch unfold as nothing I could do to stop the inevitable. Lass stayed on her bike despite definite contact, said she was ok and rode off. Better nerves than me!

Dashcam was running – worth sending to police or just upload it here for STW to pass judgement??

willard

Police, please. They may not do anything, but it should at least be raised with them.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Let judgement be passed!

frankconway

Police.
    Is the reg clear?
    Could you have intervened or was it a drive-by punch?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Police. No doubt.

PJay
    Free Member

Sounds horrible and that you’ve witnessed a criminal offence; personally I think that it should be reported.

ossify

upload it here for STW to pass judgement

That too 😉

dashed
    Free Member

Sorry – didn’t mean punched – overtook cyclist and immediately turned left into a side road, hitting cyclist with near side of car in process.

alexpalacefan

Report it, and then follow up.
    You know it’s the right thing to do.
    APF

perchypanther
    Free Member

For clarity,  when you say “left hook” you mean a car cut across the path of a cyclist whilst turning left rather than a driver punching a cyclist?

DrJ

To save you the trouble of going to the police, I’ll just cut to the punch line and tell you “It was the cyclist’s fault”.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Left hook from the driver? Post the video as this sounds like the driver got out the car.

Caher

If a pedestrian hit another pedestrian it would be common assault, wacking a cyclist should be the same.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Left hook from the driver? Post the video as this sounds like the driver got out the car

Unless they had a really tiny car or exceptionally long arms

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Unless they had a really tiny car or exceptionally long arms

Was the perpetrator orange and wearing a tiny blue hat?

Matt24k
    Free Member

For clarity………
    ****NO PUNCHES WERE THROWN****

somafunk

Sorry – didn’t mean punched – overtook cyclist and immediately turned left into a side road, hitting cyclist with near side of car in process.

Speeding cyclist collides with car

If its anything like our local police they couldn’t give a flying ****

DezB
    Free Member

Amazed so many people don’t know what a left hook is!

this kinda thing (but with contact)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Must have some length of arms…

DezB
    Free Member

Track the cyclist down and put her in touch with the cycling heroes on here so she can be told how to ride proper and avoid all trouble on the roads. That’ll sort it.

easily
    Free Member

You know the answer:

1) send to police
    2) post on here

johnx2
    Free Member

2) post on here

…yeah, let’s have a butcher’s?

Cougar

Amazed so many people don’t know what a left hook is!

I thought it was a standard, well-recognised term (certainly on a bike forum!) Unless folk are just being obtuse of course, but that’d never happen on here…

dashed
    Free Member

Judge away… It’s just uploaded so I think it takes a while to encode the higher res versions – currently only 360p available??

Off to find out how to upload to GMP.

DezB
    Free Member

Amazing isn’t it. Like, in driver’s full vision for at least 20 secs, but their car gets minutely in front and … forgets they’re there. It’s amazing, but it’s certainly not unusual.

perchypanther
    Free Member

She didn’t even pay any road tax

DezB
    Free Member

Also, I’ve seen it on videos – some people actually do think that putting on their indicator gives them right of way.

cheers_drive

It’s strange that left hooking someone with a punch is a criminal offence but left hooking with a ton of metal is an accident.
    That video is odd like everything is slowed down, it looks like the driver can see the cyclist as they stay behind it for a bit. I’m going for an elderly and confused driver although it’s a Golf not a Jazz.

noshki

Definitely police, that driver needs to be made to go on an awareness course.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Quality driving in the video, car driver has clear view of cyclist for ~20secs, once the lorry ahead of car turns left, before overtaking bike and immediately turning left without indicating… Shouldn’t be allowed to drive.

kerley
    Free Member

I’m going for an elderly and confused driver although it’s a Golf not a Jazz.

Yep, they should definitely change their car to a Jazz. At least then everyone knows what to expect and can prepare for it. Or if they want a smaller car a Hyundai i10 covers it.

tthew

Take it off Vimeo and here!

If the police decide to do something with that through the courts the instructions with the witness statement forms say not to post it to social media, it’s formal evidence.

franksinatra

I bet she doesn’t have insurance. Bloody cyclists

dashed
    Free Member

tthew

Subscriber

If the police decide to do something with that through the courts the instructions with the witness statement forms say not to post it to social media, it’s formal evidence.

Just filled in the GMP forms and it asks for the location of where it’s hosted online – nothing about making it private or deleting it etc. Obviously if they ask I’ll take it down straight away.

DezB
    Free Member

I had some bloke in a Merc last night try to overtake me just before a left turn, really thought he was going to left hook me, but he went straight on past the junction and settled for just overtaking me with about 6 inches between us a shouting something out of the window. The nearside window was open, so I can only presume he was shouting at me. I suggested he stop to discuss it, but surprisingly he declined.

DrJ

Was the cyclist using their bell correctly ?

teethgrinder

Showing as not insured on askmid.com

String the **** up

IdleJon

Just curious why that makes any difference at all. Nobody can fiddle with the evidence.

andrewy

That is absolutely terrible, bully driving with no excuse whatsoever. Do take it off the web and definitely send to the police.

DezB
    Free Member

why that makes any difference at all. Nobody can fiddle with the evidence.

Indeed, who knows – it’s part of the (weird) rules on Hants Police video evidence site:

“Footage must not be edited
    Footage must not be deleted from your device
    Footage must not be shared on social media
    Footage must show between 1-2 minutes either side of the incident”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Just witnessed driver left hook a cyclist’ is closed to new replies.